Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th October 2020, 13:25   #1
rjnicko93

Polo GTI

Default Thinking of buying a Rover 75 or MG ZT, but totally new to them

Hello,

I'm new to the forum.

Passed my test in late 2010 and had a 2007 Fiat Grande Punto initially for the for first five years of my driving. Then in 2015 I got a Golf Match 1.6, after this I had a 2017 Honda Civic Sport 1.6 TDI and now currently drive a 2019 VW Polo GTI. I'm not use to owning an older car, but I've always liked the MG's and Rover 75's and I think they now look better than ever and they really do seem to have matured well over the last few years, especially as they've become a rarer site on UK roads nowadays.

From what I've found from my bit of research so far is that the 1.8 K series Engine is best avoided, I likely considering an automatic V6 petrol. I've also been advised that the connoisseur SE is probably the one to go for as it generally all the nice options and better trim. I also prefer the pre-face lift 75.

I just wondered if there is anything else to look out for and consider?

I am actually quite surprised how cheap they are nowadays and seem to be able to find plenty of one or two owner examples. It seems to be something to consider though, being a relatively modern classic that I'd be able to take to a few shows over the coming years.

My other option is a 1999/2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sport I know its more money, but they do look like good fun.

Last edited by rjnicko93; 20th October 2020 at 06:43..
rjnicko93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 13:52   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

No reason to avoid the 1.8 or the turbo Both very reliable. It's other bits that fail occasionally causing the Head gasket failure that you're probably referring to Even that's not the end of the world as it's a cheapish fix. Easy to work on, and parts readily available, so don't discount it altogether
Have a read https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=75282
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 13:59   #3
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

At approximately 20 years old you need to look out for a few things. Even well looked after cars may have some rust. Sill jacking points, upper and lower rear suspension arms and lower front wing edges are places to check. The upper rear suspension arms can only be successfully checked with the wheels off. (Rotted areas under the rear coil spring have even been missed on many an MOT due to their hard to see/reach position)

Autos are usually reliable but a regular oil service is good.

As far as the V6 go, they are reliable if regular services and belt changes have been done on time. Recent belt change prices of £350-£600 have been quoted and the idler/tension pulleys plus water pump should be done at the same time.

Connoisseur SE has lots of "goodies" which can be expensive to replace if not working.

Always check for water ingress via boot seals and under carpets.

The plenum chamber drains also need to be checked and/or modified (spy holes put in).

Use the search function on the forum for more information as required.

I love my V6 but they are thirsty if you use them a lot! Enjoy.
Old 19th October 2020, 14:02   #4
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
No reason to avoid the 1.8 or the turbo Both very reliable. It's other bits that fail occasionally causing the Head gasket failure that you're probably referring to Even that's not the end of the world as it's a cheapish fix. Easy to work on, and parts readily available, so don't discount it altogether
Have a read https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=75282
Ditto - and even better with the 200 BHP KMAPS re-map.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 14:08   #5
rjnicko93

Polo GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post

I love my V6 but they are thirsty if you use them a lot! Enjoy.
Yeah I'm fairly use to that lol my 2.0 litre Polo GTI has the same turbo petrol engine as the bigger Golf GTI and that drinks fuel around town, it also needs premium unleaded recommended. Around town I am lucky to get 16 to 18 mpg, but on the motorway is a lot better and in the cruising eco mode easy manage 40+ mpg.
Old 19th October 2020, 15:30   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

If you cant get the spec you want but find a nice example, a lot of stuff can be retro fitted but you may have to make the wiring harnesses.
You will get an awful lot of help and advice if you ever need it here

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 15:57   #7
rjnicko93

Polo GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
If you cant get the spec you want but find a nice example, a lot of stuff can be retro fitted but you may have to make the wiring harnesses.
You will get an awful lot of help and advice if you ever need it here

macafee2
Thanks very much

I really like the dark Royal blue exterior colour and I love the slightly unusual green leather interior option. Although, I've not yet actually seen any 75 for sale with a green interior is this rare? I'd also like to find one with an electric curtain if possible.

What is the stock sound system like? Did they offer any sort of audio upgrade over the standard? Like what Audi offer nowadays with Bose, B&O and then BMW with Harmon/Kardon? I only ask, as I know Rover used a few BMW components.

This looks great

free image hosting

Last edited by rjnicko93; 19th October 2020 at 16:09..
Old 19th October 2020, 18:28   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Ryan,

The green leather option you mention is called Deep Sea Green and is one of three colours available under the Personal Line banner. The others are Neptune Blue and Aubergine. You'll have to be patient but they do come up for sale occasionally.

The stock sound system is let down by the Goodmans speakers. There was a Harman Kardon option but the power amplifier lets that down! You'll get plenty of advice on how to improve the sound so don't be concerned too much about that.

Simon
Old 19th October 2020, 19:39   #9
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

The 1.8t is a very underrated engine. Easy to work on. My one I have had for ten years and she is now on 210,500 miles. Had issues but she still trundles on. Had a re-map and sports a ported head. Custom made stainless steel exhaust. Goes well, returns 42mpg on a good run and sounds nice.

My other car will return 26mpg on a good run. Not bad for a 400bhp V8 MG ZTT. And that sounds very nice.

However I have got that down to 8mpg, but that’s another story.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 22:05   #10
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

You are miss informed if you think the K-series is best avoided. Particularly in turbo form.

Overall the K is probably the best choice for a few reasons. It is the least expensive to maintain and put right if things do go wrong. On average just a timing belt change is more expensive on the V6 than an entire head gasket change on a K-series.

The K turbo also has much more easily achievable power gains if you ever wish to go down that route as well as being more economical. Parts are cheap and plentiful and it’s very easy to work on.

I’ve owned four K-series engined cars over the last sixteen and half years. IMO the miss information touted about overheating and head gaskets is well overhyped to the point of almost being downright lies. Most of the so called ‘faults’ are a result of neglect and poor servicing.

If you seldom lift your bonnet than it’s not just a K-series that isn’t for you, but a car of this age also isn’t for you.

If you’re not used to old cars, you may be shocked by the need to be prepared to get your hands dirty once in awhile and keep an eye on simple checks under the bonnet regularly regardless of the engine choice.

The youngest of these cars came off the production line just over 15 years ago. The life each individual car has lived is much more relevant to it’s condition and current reliability than the spec list.

Last edited by Mean & Green; 19th October 2020 at 22:36..
Mean & Green is offline   Reply With Quote