Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th October 2020, 21:13   #1
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Default Nissan Qashqai knackerd at 50k

A good friend who bought a new Qashqai 4 years ago (1.6 Diesel) asked me to have a look at the amount of oil on the top of the engine a couple of weeks ago. While it is running the amount of oil smoke coming out of the dipstick tube was shocking. I replaced the seal on the dipstick in case that was the problem but it made no difference.

It has been serviced by Nissan since new and usually before the scheduled service times and mileages.

He took it into Nissan yesterday to ask about the oil coming out of the dipstick and there was a lot of teeth sucking and they took it into the workshop for a better look. They have apparently had problems with PCV valves on these so it was replaced. Anyway after an hour in the workshop he was told the engine would need to be stripped for further investigation as the engine seems to be producing excessive amounts of crankcase pressure.

I had heard stories of these small capacity engines with large turbos not lasting but 50k miles?. I get it that you burn less fuel but if you need major engine work after such a short period that seems ridiculous to me.

Am I missing something?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2020, 21:32   #2
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I overheard a conversation between some folks "in the trade" describing the Ford Eco Boost as the Eco BANG.

As I'm a few years past my 21st I remember the early 1.5L turbos in F1. They went bang pretty much all of the time but did, eventually, oust the non turbo engines.

The combination of small size with relatively big turbo just sounds like a recipe for a short engine life to me.

Add in super long service intervals and I'm not in the least surprised that something is kaput at 50K. But IMHO it's pathetic although I'm sure that the manufacturers love it as it'll generate new car sales.

The opposite is readily available over the pond where they don't start even thinking about anything significant needing looking at until 200-300K.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 20th October 2020 at 21:36..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2020, 21:36   #3
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A good friend who bought a new Qashqai 4 years ago (1.6 Diesel) asked me to have a look at the amount of oil on the top of the engine a couple of weeks ago. While it is running the amount of oil smoke coming out of the dipstick tube was shocking. I replaced the seal on the dipstick in case that was the problem but it made no difference.

It has been serviced by Nissan since new and usually before the scheduled service times and mileages.

He took it into Nissan yesterday to ask about the oil coming out of the dipstick and there was a lot of teeth sucking and they took it into the workshop for a better look. They have apparently had problems with PCV valves on these so it was replaced. Anyway after an hour in the workshop he was told the engine would need to be stripped for further investigation as the engine seems to be producing excessive amounts of crankcase pressure.

I had heard stories of these small capacity engines with large turbos not lasting but 50k miles?. I get it that you burn less fuel but if you need major engine work after such a short period that seems ridiculous to me.

Am I missing something?
I was speaking to a manager of the Truro branch of a large motor group here in the South West. He asked me ' How do I explain to them that the economy car they bought which is just out of warranty needs over £4k spending on it to fix it'
Fuel line pressures are going up needing expensive hard working fuel pumps, weight is going down so bodywork isn't much tougher than bottle tops and dings if you look at it. And then computers and their software are embedded into more and more components. Not a recipe for longevity or economy, especially if it cost £20k and has already depreciated to £10k in three years.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2020, 06:23   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

If this is the Renault engined one, they are notoriously awful.
Old 21st October 2020, 06:54   #5
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

He texted me this morning, he has asked ''we buy any car.com'' for a price and they have offered him £9k. He paid just over £26k for it 4 years ago. That is shocking depreciation. Looking at Ebay that seems like a reasonable offer as there are a lot on there for that or less.

I had heard that about the Ford Ecobang engines, apparently some Ford dealers keep new engines in stock as they have had so many with problems.

As you say the manufacturers are the winners, they sell you a new car and once out of warranty they are coining it in with some expensive work.

As a buy the way I know a person who job is to lease vehicles out and they have a few they wont lease because of the maintenance issues and they will loose money, one of these is the VW Crafter, you would think a commercial vehicle would be reliable.

Last edited by SCP440; 21st October 2020 at 06:56..
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2020, 07:45   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

With small engine "big turbo" does it matter how the car is driven? If driven hard with hard acceleration will the life be shortened over a car driven like Miss Daisey?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2020, 09:15   #7
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
With small engine "big turbo" does it matter how the car is driven? If driven hard with hard acceleration will the life be shortened over a car driven like Miss Daisey?

macafee2
I don't know if it's true, but I was told by someone years ago that you should let a turbo car idle for around thirty seconds after a hard run. Apparently the reason was that some turbos get so hot they boil their lubricating oil if the engine is just switched off. It was way back when I was running a Lancia Delta turbo. So I always did that. That car was totally reliable and I sold it on to my brother in law who subsequently sold it on and then bought a new one back in the 80's ( 'cos he missed it after it was sold lol). He told me he never bothered with what I told him and both cars were fine, so maybe the advice wasn't needed for that model of car.
Old 21st October 2020, 09:24   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
I don't know if it's true, but I was told by someone years ago that you should let a turbo car idle for around thirty seconds after a hard run. Apparently the reason was that some turbos get so hot they boil their lubricating oil if the engine is just switched off. It was way back when I was running a Lancia Delta turbo. So I always did that. That car was totally reliable and I sold it on to my brother in law who subsequently sold it on and then bought a new one back in the 80's ( 'cos he missed it after it was sold lol). He told me he never bothered with what I told him and both cars were fine, so maybe the advice wasn't needed for that model of car.
I always let the car idle after a long run and particularly if towing, it may even be in the handbook, 2 -3 minutes. I also lift the bonnet to let the heat out if I have been towing. Strangely or sadly no one has ever asked when I'm parked at motorway service with the caravan attached and bonnet up if I am ok, they just walk past.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2020, 09:32   #9
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

We've just acquired my 2015 Dads Nissan Micra Acenta CVT .

And looking at the MOT History , its only had 3 , and its had advisories for suspension play since 18k miles and only on 22k now

And cost me 200 quid to get it through last week, duff brakes

Nissan Quality

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 21st October 2020 at 16:22..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2020, 09:35   #10
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
I overheard a conversation between some folks "in the trade" describing the Ford Eco Boost as the Eco BANG.

As I'm a few years past my 21st I remember the early 1.5L turbos in F1. They went bang pretty much all of the time but did, eventually, oust the non turbo engines.

The combination of small size with relatively big turbo just sounds like a recipe for a short engine life to me.

Add in super long service intervals and I'm not in the least surprised that something is kaput at 50K. But IMHO it's pathetic although I'm sure that the manufacturers love it as it'll generate new car sales.

The opposite is readily available over the pond where they don't start even thinking about anything significant needing looking at until 200-300K.
Your post sums up why I appreciate the Mustang V8 in my ZT. Lazy unstressed lump at 70mph which is just run in at 70k miles. They've made so many Ford V8's that the gremlins are largely eliminated if they're serviced properly. I'm certainly glad I'm not doing a long commute in the city, but £26k to £9k is over £4k/year which buys a lot of fuel. The depreciation on so many cars now is actually so severe that mpg in isolation is a pointless metric. Regular plebs like me can't afford to blow things up and then just buy a new one. Ecobang!....... that just cracks me up. I can't wipe the smile of my face this morning lol