Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2011, 23:44   #1
James_Death
Gets stuck in

EX.2001 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.0, CDT,155 Brake, BRG

Default No Gear Engagement...Help...

Ok Folks been trawling the threads for the last few days over the Gear engagement issue i have on The Diesel Conny...

Well the box was always very slightly notchy nothing to write home about.

As i have staretd using it more for the 8 mole trip to work having gained employment again with agency mind...

The gear selection got more notchy then difficult when it did engage there was a slight knock as it didso.

Noticeable on first really.

Now took car off road parked up the side of the house was leaving till weekend having sprayed a bearing libricant type jobby By Bilt Hamber... seamed to make a bit of difference.

Was going to change the gear oil see if that helped, i did notice some fluid round the master cylinder cap but wanted to change the gear oil take her for a run and see how she went and if pumping the pedal through the gears showed any leaking from the master cylinder.

However my good lady needed her car today well yesterday now...

So jumped in the rover and could not select any gear....

Got 4th briefly but no point to that, especially with brick wall in front of the car....

So had to drag the good lady's scooter out and shoot of to work.

So the biting point all the time i have had the 75 has been very lowdown had no issue with that.

The pedal rises and falls ok.

So the no selection at all could this be down to the master cylinder?

The 2 selector cables are they for the gear changes thats another area is it not for selection issues?

I know i need to get the tray off will be a challenge with brick wall on 2 sides and lawn behind me as concerns positioning and jacking.

When the Slave goes do you always get a leek from below?

Also need her up in the air to check the cable selectors i would guess?

Any pointers especially as to making the jobs of checking easier and faster appreciated....

I know we have the technical section but at this rate i thing the gearbox and clutch need a section all to themselves.....

Thanks as ever Folks....
James_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 00:03   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

James can you select the gears with the engine off? If you can but can't with the engine running then its a clutch issue.

If you can't select a gear with the engine off then check the cables and their end connections from the gear lever to the gearbox.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 00:06   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Can you get it into gears with engine not running? Normally you can get it into most of the gears, though not necessarily all of the gears without a bit of a struggle.

If you can, then I would suggest your selector cables are fine and point to a clutch issue. If it is a clutch issue, it doesn't sound like the usual symtoms of the pedal going down and staying down.

They suggest that a fair bit of fluid needs to be lost from the slave, before any will show under the clutch area. The fluid leak around the master seems your only other issue.

I would suggest topping up the master and bleeding the clutch, then seeing if that makes difference - its the cheapest option.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 09:10   #4
James_Death
Gets stuck in

Thanks folks i was running so late for work just jumped on the scoot and got off, however once up this morning before coming on here i thought i should check selection with engine off.

Seamed ok so that seamed to dismiss the selector cables as you all say.

I also came to the conclusion that the first port of call is a bleed and top up of fluid.

Seamed strange to be from below the cap as if coming from the threads.

Will try and crack the lid off at the weekend and struggle to get fluid in....

Thanks folks as ever...
Old 25th November 2011, 09:25   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Death View Post
Thanks folks i was running so late for work just jumped on the scoot and got off, however once up this morning before coming on here i thought i should check selection with engine off.

Seamed ok so that seamed to dismiss the selector cables as you all say.

Thanks folks as ever...
It now sounds very much like your master cylinder has developed a leak. In case you didn't know - the bleed point is a large hex nipple is on the end of a pipe which is one of two which can be seen emerging from the top of the gearbox. The bleed nipple sits on top of the gearbox under the the battery. You will need to bleed it.

Some suggest cutting the condom inside the master cylinder top, so just enough is left to form a seal - doing that the cylinder has some extra capacity for fluid.

Keep a fluid top up and bleed emergency kit in boot, until the problem is properly sorted out.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 18:28   #6
James_Death
Gets stuck in

As suspected from the tons of copper slip under there and the fingerprints to the master cap.... someone had been at it in the past... confirmed when finding the seal in the master reservoir had been cut.....

So someone has dabbled in the past.... well its bled now and engages gears...

Still cant find the leak.

I did notice that the cap has a very small hole thats actually cast in the cap so is factory, so all the ones that have the cap cut its going to take moisture in over time as its not fully sealed.

Thanks as ever for the help folks.... does get disconcerting at times that most posts are in the technical section.....