Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st February 2013, 09:27   #21
slickster
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer 1 View Post
I'll stick my head above the parapet here - I am qualified to comment as I've got 3 V8's .
In case it's relevant to anyone Jeremy can also comment on LWB car prices as I think he has 3 or 4 of them too

Previously owned 75/ZTs:
Rover 75 4.6 V8 Conni SE Auto // MG ZT-T 260 4.6 V8 // R75 Conn SE 2.5 V6 Auto Vanden Plas (LWB)
01 '51' Rover 75 2.0 Diesel Conni Auto Tourer // 99 'T' Rover 75 2.5 Conni Auto

slickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 12:52   #22
peterv6
Avid contributor

Mg ZT260 # 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer 1 View Post
I'll stick my head above the parapet here - I am qualified to comment as I've got 3 V8's .

One we've owned from brand new, bought it when Rover were still alive, and it has just under 7K miles on the clock.
One was bought in 2010 with 25K miles on the clock and was a Rover Group advertising car, the third was bought a couple of months ago with 55K on the clock. Max price for either of the secondhand cars was £5.5K.

I agree with the belief that this car is overpriced. It was previously owned by Andy on here, who spent a lot of money on having it resprayed, refurbed and generally cleaned up. It's a very nice car in a good colour, but still has 99K miles on the clock.

It's been advertised at £4995, £7995, £7495 and now it's back to £7995 again. My view is that £4995 is a much more accurate price .

There have been several cars advertised lately at around £7.5K, but I don't think the market is really ready for that price level - unless it's a low mileage car with good historyand/or an unusual colour. It seems to me that people think they can get a high price just because the cars are rare, but the ceiling seems to me to rest around £6K max for all but the very best cars, which might make £7.5K.

Who knows however where prices may be in 10 years time .

There you are, I'm back down in the trenches again now!
I'm pretty sure that Mr Doodles find £4995 is also to much for our rare and valuable V8's!
Old 1st February 2013, 13:25   #23
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterv6 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Mr Doodles find £4995 is also to much for our rare and valuable V8's!
Au contraire!

I have often posted in the past that a nice 50K V8 is worth £5,000 all day long!

(and lower mileage even more)

However, as rare as these cars are, no one will ever convince me that one having covered 100,000 miles, is worth £8K!

Now, if you're happy (and have the money) to pay that, then that's fine!

Now even if I had the money ( which currently I do not) I wouldn't be paying that amount, for that car, especially as it was advertised previously for £4,975 and didn't sell at that figure!

But good luck to the seller, if he thinks he can get that for it!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 17:06   #24
peterv6
Avid contributor

Mg ZT260 # 217

The V8's are alot cheaper in Great Britain so stop complaining!:-D

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/mg-zt-b...&ambitCountry=

Last edited by peterv6; 1st February 2013 at 17:09..
peterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 17:24   #25
slydog
Regular poster

mg zt 260 se

Default mileage

why on earth does everyone go on about mileage . it seems anything over 50k is a high mileage car lol . a big low reving V8 with 100k on it thats had regular oil changes etc and looked after is nothing . these cars and engines will go on forever if treated right . oh and by the way ive got one lol
slydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 18:15   #26
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog View Post
why on earth does everyone go on about mileage . it seems anything over 50k is a high mileage car lol . a big low reving V8 with 100k on it thats had regular oil changes etc and looked after is nothing . these cars and engines will go on forever if treated right . oh and by the way ive got one lol
I don't think the engine is the problem but you'll probably get the argument that the rest of the car also has done the mileage (bearings etc)

Although it's cheaper to replace a bearing than an engine it does seem to bother people
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 18:31   #27
Stu C
Loves to post

MG ZT 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog View Post
Plus to be fair if you have for example a 2004 registered car, it's now 9 years old. So at say average milage, you're looking at 90-100k anyway. Always makes me laugh too when i see people go "it's too many miles on the clock". But more often then not when working it out over the years, has done the average or a little less.

My Rover 25 is 2001 registered, 70k miles and is no where near as mint condition as other 25's with more miles.
2004 MG ZT 260 SE #269
2001 MGF 1.8 Steptronic
2019 Seat Ateca Xcellece
Gone but not forgotton - MG ZT 260 SE #171
Member #126
Stu C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 19:03   #28
slydog
Regular poster

mg zt 260 se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu C View Post
Plus to be fair if you have for example a 2004 registered car, it's now 9 years old. So at say average milage, you're looking at 90-100k anyway. Always makes me laugh too when i see people go "it's too many miles on the clock". But more often then not when working it out over the years, has done the average or a little less.

My Rover 25 is 2001 registered, 70k miles and is no where near as mint condition as other 25's with more miles.
exactly and to be honest a car thats just stood around for years with everything drying out seals perishing etc etc aint always a good thing
slydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 14:51   #29
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

The V8`s have a select following and as a proud owner of any car or make we all think our cars are worth more than they are.
The Rover 75 isn't short on problems thus such a very popular owners club. Buy a V8 or a 1.8 Classic you are still going to encounter very similar trim problems etc. Outside our little bubble people wouldn't give you tuppence for a "Rover" and a juicey high tax bracket V8 doesn't help either.
The values are low because people are snobs and supply and demand is key. Why did I sell 2002 Golf 1.4 S last week done 102k for £1850? Because people are like sheep and as there is a huge following prices and demand are high.
Petrol is going through the roof and this affects all big engine cars. Supply and demand sets prices and 100k V8 "Rovers" don't set peoples hearts racing just like Mercs, BMW`s and Audi`s. Yet they are seen as quality bullet proof cars that last forever.
Im 42 been in the motor trade for 26 years and people buying set the prices. Ive seen people buy rusty Focuses rather than a mint Rover 25 with half the miles as they "don't like Rovers because they are old mans cars". Utter cobblers but that's the way image and word of mouth go.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 16:17   #30
frankson
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon auto KV6

It's a lovely car, but it looks green in colour to me. Is this an in-joke, or do I need my eyes testing?
frankson is offline   Reply With Quote