Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd August 2017, 20:46   #1
Radioguy
Banned

None

Default NAvall Comet Head Units Advise and support thread

Hello All, Now that the Comets are arriving the true tests, the customer feedback, is coming in and so far seems very good.

As always , I hope that we can all share experiences and discoveries that will help each other.

So far , this has been the feedback and niggles that we received
thanks to Mike and Coolcat for their input.

1. If using both DAB and Front DVR both work with the DAB plugged into USB and the camera plugged into 3G, just thought I would let you know to save any customer confusion over the labeling !

2. The main power loom (provided with the Comet) is wired completely differently to ALL other Navall products so PLEASE do NOT use the old one (which will actually fit.)

3. Steering wheel control cable , on the comet power cable , there is a Key 1 brown and key ground to the blue/orange and blue/purple wires.

4. Reverse light signal (Trigger wire) for rear camera. The Comet has a REV1 and a REV2 but signal is connected to REV 1

5. When tuning FM make sure that AF TA or PTY are not selected as this reduces the stations found on first scan

6. Factory settings you need it to change some basic things like boot logo – Password is 126

7. Manual can be accessed here CLICK HERE

Last edited by Radioguy; 4th August 2017 at 16:57.. Reason: Correct
Radioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 20:46   #2
Radioguy
Banned

None

Default For Future

For future if required
Old 4th August 2017, 08:13   #3
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post

3. Steering wheel control cable , on the comet power cable , there is a brown cable which is marked key2 , you have to connect original steering cable to this key2 brown cable
Jeff had previously mentioned it was key1 to use for the SWC. Can either be used then?
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 08:36   #4
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Jeff had previously mentioned it was key1 to use for the SWC. Can either be used then?
Yep.....and I is correct lol

Key 1 brown and key ground to the blue/orange and blue/purple wires in the car loom......matters not which way round

Also just to correct the above that Sean posted.

Reverse wires are not marked 1 or 2.

One is solid orange and the other is orange with a black line, the latter is the one you use

Last edited by coolcat; 4th August 2017 at 08:39..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 09:10   #5
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Thanks Jeff.

So just to repeat my findings from the other thread and keep feedback in the right thread... this is my experience after less than 48 hours with it fitted so far (comparisons to previous Navall WinCE and Navall 3)

1. I do find the lack of physical "Home" and "Back" keys slightly disconcerting, but I'll get used to it. Have configured the 'long press' of the Mode button on the SWC to be Home, and that works well for me.
  2. The new features in Android 7 are very nice and the whole look and feel of the interface is a massive improvement. I've still installed CarDashdroid as I prefer the simpler interface while driving, but the compelling reasons for doing so have diminished.
  3. Sound quality so far seems to be an improvement, but early days on that score.
  4. Radio tuner interface is a big improvement and finally a decent implementation of RDS. Not able to make any valid comment about reception because my ZT-T seems to have an aerial problem (and has had for some time - not traced the cause yet).
  5. In terms of system performance I can't say I've seen any noticeable difference over the Navall 3, but it's still more than acceptable on that score.
  6. The warm boot is just wonderful - almost instant start - no more waiting 30 seconds for boot after each start.
  7. The built in media player is fine and relatively easy to control, although I do feel that changing albums is more difficult than it should be. Also, it doesn't seem to display album artwork, but then I've not explored all the options yet, so perhaps I'm missing something. I've yet to reinstall my favourite media player from the Navall 3 - Rocket Player. Although I've yet to come across the perfect media player for car use, most seem to have small buttons or menus that make it difficult to navigate.
  8. Google Maps navigation seems to work so much better, presumably due to the upgraded version of Android (which perhaps supports a newer version?). The design seems to have improved and the traffic information is still superb.
All in all, and it's still early days (not tried the disc player at all), but so far so good - IMHO a hugely worthwhile upgrade. I liked both the Navall WinCE and the Navall 3 - both had their niggles (some worse than others)and the Comet improves on these in almost every area. I'm sure there will be niggles with the Comet too, but I've yet to discover them.
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 16:48   #6
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Does anyone know what the connector block for the steering wheel controls is called (i.e. what type it is).

Would rather not have to go splicing into the car loom if I can just graft a plug onto the Navall's wires...
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 16:54   #7
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
Does anyone know what the connector block for the steering wheel controls is called (i.e. what type it is).

Would rather not have to go splicing into the car loom if I can just graft a plug onto the Navall's wires...
If you PM me your address I can pop one in the post for you
Old 4th August 2017, 16:54   #8
Radioguy
Banned

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Mine is from the factory , Jeff's I tend to trust more ! Ill get it clarified though

Last edited by Radioguy; 4th August 2017 at 16:57..
Old 4th August 2017, 16:56   #9
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Mine is from the factory , Jeff's I ten to trust more ! Ill get it clarified though
Factory is wrong........it doesn't function on key 2
Old 7th August 2017, 15:56   #10
Burwell Mike
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 260

Quick progress report on the Comet having used it for a week or so and a few hundred miles. Initial impressions are confirmed in that, in my opinion, it is better all round than the Navall3, highlights being instant hot boot, better FM radio interface and smooth up to date Android OS. Totally agree with Big Ade's findings above.

I have also noticed that I am getting a stronger wifi signal from the my home hub when parked on drive.

I was initially concerned that the DAB had no presets, but now that I have got used to it I prefer the new interface. Available stations are listed on the right of the screen in a fairly large font and it is just as easy to select from that screen as it is from small pre set buttons.

Fitted front camera today - simply plugged into USB port and we were away. Good picture with time,location and speed data added.

I might be missing something as I have only just started to use it but I can only find options on the installed DVR app to record in 5, 10 or 15 minute bursts. I was expecting the ability to continuously record on a loop. Has anyone found how to do this or can recommend a third party DVR app?

Mike
Burwell Mike is offline   Reply With Quote