Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th March 2013, 06:33   #11
john adam
Avid contributor

1999 Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur saloon

Hello, I had my belts, tensioners and water pump replaced at 120,000 kms by
Armstrong Group in Lower Hutt. I supplied all the parts which I had bought from Rimmers on oa previous trip to the UK, far cheaper than the local cost. However postage from the UK is not cheap. The labour cost was around $600based on 8 hours work.
I have heard of some inexperienced garages charging an arm and three legs for this work. A friend in the Wairarapa was charged $4200.
Pays to go to someone who has previously done 75 cambelts.
At one stage I was tempted to drive to Auckland for Roverland to do the work, they quoted 7 - 8 hours for the whole job. Best of luck.
john adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 07:01   #12
Indiana_Jones
Avid contributor

Rover 600 SLDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Otherwise just trust me.!
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by john adam View Post
Hello, I had my belts, tensioners and water pump replaced at 120,000 kms by
Armstrong Group in Lower Hutt. I supplied all the parts which I had bought from Rimmers on oa previous trip to the UK, far cheaper than the local cost. However postage from the UK is not cheap. The labour cost was around $600based on 8 hours work.
I have heard of some inexperienced garages charging an arm and three legs for this work. A friend in the Wairarapa was charged $4200.
Pays to go to someone who has previously done 75 cambelts.
At one stage I was tempted to drive to Auckland for Roverland to do the work, they quoted 7 - 8 hours for the whole job. Best of luck.
Yea I was thinking along the same lines of providing the parts and getting them to do the work.

The bloke in question has done the belts before, granted not on a Rover 75 (has done them in Kia's and Range Rovers).

As for Roverland, I've only ever heard bad things about them? =/

and $4200!?!! wow.
Indiana_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 07:44   #13
savi18
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur, Range Rover Sport

Hi Andrew, i am down in Dunedin and welcome to the club, i have done 2 of these cambelt changes myself as the ex Rover dealers here in Dunedin wanted $2200 to do the job, i am a fully skilled mechanic from the UK but the thought of doing these give me a couple of sleepness nights, but i took the plunge and my first one took around 8 hours to do being cautious, first i bought the belt kit waterpump and dont forget the 2 rear camshaft bolts off Ebay(not rimmers) all in all take you time and if you get stuck, make a cup of tea and think the next step. i did not use any special tools, the most hardest part was the rear belts, Good luck. Derek

Last edited by savi18; 5th March 2013 at 07:52..
savi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 08:56   #14
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Jones View Post
Would one need to remove inlet cam sprockets like in the video?
Andrew,

MG Rover includes this but, it appears, for no reason other than to renew the sprocket fixing bolts!

Before committing yourself to a big garage bill, I would read Haynes' account which describes the procedure with and without the service tools. I think you'll find that it will clarify a few things for you, with the aid of many photographs.

Simon
Old 6th March 2013, 19:35   #15
RN3212
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Classic SE 2.0V6 Auto Moonstone Green

Get a Haynes Manual and study it carefully.I did mine without the Tools and previously had never done Belts on any engine.There's a lot of dismantling,so go slowly and be methodical.As Kaiser said,when the engine is set in Safe Position and locked there's really nothing to go wrong.If you do it by the Haynes method only remove the 2 outermost bolts from the A/C compressor and loosen off the 3rd bolt.This allows the plate to be removed and keeps the Pump in position.I made the mistake of removing the 3 bolts and had an awful struggle to get the A/C pump lined up properly.I got a quote from an ex Rover Garage of Euro1430 to change Belts and Thermostat housing.I did it myself in a day for Euro196.
Old 7th March 2013, 00:06   #16
savi18
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur, Range Rover Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat hanley View Post
Get a Haynes Manual and study it carefully.I did mine without the Tools and previously had never done Belts on any engine.There's a lot of dismantling,so go slowly and be methodical.As Kaiser said,when the engine is set in Safe Position and locked there's really nothing to go wrong.If you do it by the Haynes method only remove the 2 outermost bolts from the A/C compressor and loosen off the 3rd bolt.This allows the plate to be removed and keeps the Pump in position.I made the mistake of removing the 3 bolts and had an awful struggle to get the A/C pump lined up properly.I got a quote from an ex Rover Garage of Euro1430 to change Belts and Thermostat housing.I did it myself in a day for Euro196.
I never used the Haynes manual at all Pat (did not have one at the time) the air con unit i never touched or loosened on both of the Rovers, being a Mechanic for over 35 years working on different vehicles helped a great deal with the experience, doing two cambelt changes on these Rovers i can mybe do them in 5 to 6 hours with the short cuts i used, but not for the faint hearted though. Cheers Derek.
savi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 03:25   #17
ocdskull
Regular poster

MG ZT saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Jones View Post
Sorry lads, just wondering if there's any definitive/'how to' thread on replacing the timing belts for a KV6 engine?

I've tried searching and have got some info, but not really a full on step by step with photos, but saying that I do have the Haynes manual on the way.

Pretty much I have a 2.0L 75 with just over 100,000km on the clock. I have no idea if the belts have been done, but at that many km's and most Kiwi's attitude to car maintenance, I'm going to assume no.

So my choices are:

-Don't do it and prey/run her into the ground.....not really a choice!

-Pay around $2000NZD for a workshop to do the job, I'm getting a quote made up at the moment.

-Do it myself, this I'm a bit scared about as this is my first car with overhead cams (I'm used to 1800 B-series engines), let alone with 3 timing belts!

Can it be done by a rookie? or is it a case of biting the bullet this time, handing over some cash and then hopefully with some more know how down the line do it myself (assuming I have the car still etc)

Cheers,

-Indy
The engine looks complicated but in fact its just another engine with frilly bits
If you have worked on an engine with timing marks then you should be able to do it.
Depending how long you have to do the work to make things more accessible and the sake of a few extra bolts and screws. I found that removing the front bumper and drivers inner arch liner. Gives you a clear view of some of the more hidden bolts you need to undo.
Good luck

Last edited by ocdskull; 7th March 2013 at 03:30.. Reason: extra info
ocdskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 04:17   #18
barry
Regular poster

mg zt 180 sport

Indy

Was talking to a ZS owner at the Mosquito Display late last year. His car was fitted with a KV6. Asked him who he used for any possibly difficult maintenance on the car. He recommended a workshop in Henderson, Heritage Mechanical Services, 26 The Concourse, Henderson Phone 09 8382100.

I looked on the internet and he apparently works on a variety of mechanical devices. I have no personal knowledge of the company but it may be worth a phone call to ascertain past experience etc with the KV6.

I deal with Roverland once a year for routine maintenance. Do the oil changes myself and so far have had no mechanical problems with the car anyway.
They did manage to get an air lock in the coolant system several years ago. They took care of the ensuing rescue with no quibbles.
They have an awful lot of Range Rovers go through their workshop. Some of them must be V6s.
Barry
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 19:47   #19
Indiana_Jones
Avid contributor

Rover 600 SLDi

Cheers for the tip Barry,

I tried contacting Heritage Mechanical two weeks ago, but to no luck, only went to the answering machine.

Just got the Haynes manual on the weekend so will take a read during the week. Flicking through it, I reckon I have a chance of doing it.

At this stage I'm leaning towards doing it myself, as the experience would be wicked and I reckon I could do it for $1000 as opposed to $2000, that's $1000 spare to put into the Wolseley.

Watch this space

-Andrew
Indiana_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 20:28   #20
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

That's the man!
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote