Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th March 2010, 17:53   #1
Tootall
Gets stuck in

ZTT - CDTi

Default Longbridge to be renamed MG Birmingham.

Taken from the Birmingham Mail;

Quote:
LONGBRIDGE is being consigned to history after more than 100 years – with a multi-million pound Chinese makeover to turn the site into the nerve centre of MG design worldwide.

The former home of Lord Austin, British Leyland, Red Robbo, Sir Michael Edwardes, BMW and John Towers is to be renamed MG Birmingham, with an MG Worldwide Design Studio at the heart of the new operation.

The launch of the MG6 model later this year will pave the way for production running into thousands of vehicles, transforming the car firm from a tiny niche operator making just 400 cars a year into a volume manufacturer with major export ambitions.

The plans mark the biggest overhaul at the UK’s most famous factory site since Chinese firm Nanjing bought the former assets of MG Rover for £53 million after the car firm went bust amid debts of £1.3 billion nearly five years ago.

The Chinese plans for Longbridge have remained largely under wraps since China’s biggest car firm Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation took over Nanjing Automobile – but the site is now gearing up for millions of pounds of investment.

Guy Jones, Sales and Marketing Director of MG Motor UK, said: “I do not think that people realise how big MG could be globally.

“They could have just shipped everything in from China, but this could be the gateway to Europe for MG.

“This is a multi-million pound investment. We want to make Birmingham the home for the MG brand globally – Longbridge is going to be revitalized. We want the site to be referred to in common language as MG Birmingham. The company will be MG Motor UK.

“We are in the second largest city in the UK but, to global and international people, Longbridge is meaningless.

“This is more of a subtle change; the postal address remains the same.

“We want to give it its own identity separate from MG Rover, to give it international recognition.

“Instead of saying ‘here is a plan of Longbridge, we will say here is a plan of MG Birmingham.’

Mr Jones said the launch of the MG6 later this year would be the catalyst for transforming the Chinese car firm into a volume manufacturer. So far the factory has only sold a few hundred limited edition cars and MG TF135 models.

“We are going from small volumes to large volumes, from hundreds of cars to thousands. This is a very exciting time for a new company.

“This is the complete opposite of the rest of the market, where global players are looking to reduce and fight their corners.

“We are still going to be a very lean, very efficient company, but we have got the biggest player in the biggest car market in the world as the parent company.” The revamp of Longbridge will also see an on-site MG dealership set up in the old visitor centre while the conference centre will be refurbished with a view to attracting other users.

“We do not have a significant presence in the centre of Birmingham and we are sure people would like to have their cars serviced at a factory dealership,” Mr Jones added.
Old 4th March 2010, 18:07   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Could have been worse, could have been called Tesco's

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 18:46   #3
starbug2
This is my second home

Silver Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDTI + MGF 1.8 in BRG

just as long as they so something worthy

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible
starbug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 20:15   #4
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Just waiting to see whats happening we have heard all these stories before
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 20:38   #5
starbug2
This is my second home

yes a lot of what may happen but not much action so far....

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible
Old 8th March 2010, 03:36   #6
barry
Regular poster

mg zt 180 sport

With the attitude of the above poster's how could it go wrong?!!

Barry
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 06:56   #7
starbug2
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
With the attitude of the above poster's how could it go wrong?!!

Barry
well so far not much has happened , so hard to be more full of joy about yet another maybe -which have been many since rover went belly up. i have no problem with the renaming but as yet it is just another story coming from longbridge .

once some action happens then we can see and judge things and i hope good things will come but the fact is not much so far has come from longbridge other than a handful of cars and much stories .....