Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th December 2011, 18:02   #1
Mark2000cc
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTI

Red face Waterlogged car! please help

Hi there folks,now let me start off by saying i love my car but my patients is wearing thin now.
My problems started last year when i realised my passanger front footwell had turned into a fish tank! And that is not a exaggeration,ther must off been gallons of the stuff. However i checked the infamous plenum drains and they were clear,any way to cut a long story short it turned out to be the front windscreen seals,so after resealing it and fishing all the water out that problem was solved.
However i have just realised that my rear drivers side footwell has felt left out and decided to do the same,under the drivers seat is soaking.
Again the plenums are clear so this hads led me down the path of the sunroof,now the front passenger drains working but the front drivers is blocked,my question is how do i locate and unblock it or would it be alright to seal the hole up so the water runs down the other 3 drains (they are all clear)
Any help would be brilliant!
Mark2000cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 18:50   #2
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2000cc View Post
Hi there folks,now let me start off by saying i love my car but my patients is wearing thin now.
My problems started last year when i realised my passanger front footwell had turned into a fish tank! And that is not a exaggeration,ther must off been gallons of the stuff. However i checked the infamous plenum drains and they were clear,any way to cut a long story short it turned out to be the front windscreen seals,so after resealing it and fishing all the water out that problem was solved.
However i have just realised that my rear drivers side footwell has felt left out and decided to do the same,under the drivers seat is soaking.
Again the plenums are clear so this hads led me down the path of the sunroof,now the front passenger drains working but the front drivers is blocked,my question is how do i locate and unblock it or would it be alright to seal the hole up so the water runs down the other 3 drains (they are all clear)
Any help would be brilliant!
Is your car a saloon or a tourer?

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 19:15   #3
ja3142
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 + sport, 1.8T

I've had this as well, so I sympathise. Drying out the carpet is the worst part.

If you remove the panel under the steering wheel you can eventually find the pipe leading down from the sunroof up in the top right behind the dash. Stick your head down by the pedals and use a torch to find it.

In my case the pipe from the A pillar had come out of the one leading through the bulkhead under the wheel arch. I rodded through the one through the bulkhead with a wire from a coat hanger. By going under the wheel arch (the liner is quite easy to remove) I cut a piece of the end of the pipe to ensure a wider exit for flow. Then I put silicone round the pipe from the A piller, slid it back into the pipe from the bulkhead and then secured it with a cable tie round the outside. Finally I siliconed round the whole lot. Its not easy to get the nozzle up as the pipes are quite high up behind the dash board.

good luck!
ja3142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 19:34   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Is the water just in the footwell or under the rear seat as well ??
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 05:44   #5
john adam
Avid contributor

1999 Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur saloon

Cool

I had the same problem. The pipes on both sides had come out of the sleeve through the bulkhead. The sunroof drain design is bizare to say the least. I can't understand why they did not provide a continuous drain pipe from the roof and through a grommet in the bulkhead rather than breaking the pipe at the bulkhead and feeding it into a sleeve. One of the strange design features of an otherwise great car.
john adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 06:55   #6
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

The design, construction, build and choice of materials of the Rover 75 is in places completely idiotic.
You would think that a company who has built cars for 100 years would be able to get a simple thing, like sealing a car properly against water right, right?!

Especially if they build cars in a country with such awful weather as in the UK.!

I think it just shows the lack of continuity in the company. Someone would surely have had the knowledge, experience and expertise. Either they were ignored, or they couldn't care less or maybe they had left.

Whatever the reason, the responsible persons were promoted ahead of their abilities.

Such a shame.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 08:46   #7
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

If you have water under the back seats it's most likely going to be the rear light seals. Check if you have water in your spare wheel well.

It may be that unless you had taken the front seats out and removed the entire carpet there was still much water in there.
You wont be the first to have to do this and you wont be the last. Good thing is that it isn't that big a job to seal the car as MGR should have done, but you have to understand that since Rover collapsed people buy these cars cheap, don't maintain them and basically run them into the ground then they cause all manner of problems for new owners.
Yet with a little TLC and elbow grease you can restore them to an 'as new' state. A lot of people just get fed up and get rid.

Just do a search for 'water in cabin' or similar and find answers to suit your car.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 09:16   #8
Mark2000cc
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTI

hello sorry to drag a old thread up,i actually forgot i had posted about it! Thanks everyone for there advise,i seem to have solved the problem by clearing all the sunroof drains and cutting the stupid flat ends off and taking the seat out and carpets up and drying the hole thing out,and also drilled a 4mm hole through the black patches.not the metal as these were the lowest points of the car where water was the worst.
Only reason i have dug the thread up is to help others in the same situation as me.
Again thanks for the advise!
Mark2000cc is offline   Reply With Quote