Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th December 2019, 17:45   #1
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

Default Poor quality aftermarket parts!

I had to replace a couple of faulty ABS sensors two weeks ago and I know I should know better but at first I got cheap ones from eBay needless to say they were faulty!
Having learned my lesson I replaced them with the eye wateringley expensive Euro car parts ones (how do you justify £114 for a bit of cable with 2 wires and a sensor at the end?) these also proved to be faulty although my tame mechanic was convinced the abs pump was faulty I wasn’t having that and checked with Marinabrian who confirmed my suspicion that Euro’s sensors were expensive poo!
So purchased a set of OE originals from Rimmers as I won’t touch DMGRS stuff having been burned a couple of times (Rimmers were cheaper than Euros for an actual OE front sensor!) which arrived today and work perfectly!
What makes my blood boil is the wasted time and money on fixing such a simple fault due to parts that are apparently made of cheese and don’t work. I’ve had the same with aftermarket bushes collapsing after less than a month in the car (Chinese Rover bushes claimed to be OE by the seller) and similar with rear shockers that pop after a couple of months.
I accept if you buy cheap then it’s pot luck but what if cheap is all you can afford? And I personally always buy the “best” I can afford and the parts fail with monotonous regularity and then supposed trusted suppliers start making excuses when you complain.
It won’t be rust or age that kills our cars of it will be the lack of quality spares to keep them running!
Rant off
Shadomobile

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2019, 22:45   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Richard. I totally agree with you. I think it is about time something was done about what are in reality, counterfeit parts. We are being ripped of to the tune of £millions by these charlatan’s who produce this not as described goods. The people who continue to buy them, the sellers are almost as culpable as the producer, because if they keep getting complaints from people they supply the components to, it is within their remit to ‘kick ass’. But of course, if they are buying them for £1 and selling them for many multiple amount of dosh, then we have the power to put them out of busines, and we should. Pay cheap, pay twice. Problem now is, the chocolate products are sometimes being sold for only a little less than the better ones, so muddying the waters again. We can still win by letting each other know how items perform, or not. I have just bought two drop links,SKF, they are made in Turkey to SKF standards, supposedly. I will see and let everyone know how they perform.
Old 10th December 2019, 23:19   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I think our problem is the better parts are becoming more and more rare, and in some cases they have disappeared altogether.

At least with a manufacturer that is still producing cars you have the option of original equipment parts of equal quality, but sadly with Rover's demise that is no longer the case.
Mike Noc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2019, 00:18   #4
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

We should keep returning landfill parts and get our money back!
Typhoon190 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2019, 07:48   #5
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

We must also stop shopping by price, we should ask when we purchase an item how long is the guarantee? Car Manufacturers will only fit stuff that lasts 3 years as that is how long they give when they sell you a new car. Buying stuff that will only last 12 months when the labour to replace it probably costs more than the part is madness in my view.

I will only fit Delco alternators, they come with a 3 year warranty and I have yet to have one fail, One I fitted over 10 years ago is still working.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2019, 11:28   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
One I fitted over 10 years ago is still working.

Be prepared for that little red light to appear anytime now...
Old 11th December 2019, 13:51   #7
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

I have plumped for DRMGS drop links this time after having failures with Delphi, it was the 4 year no quibble warranty that swayed me so fingers crossed. I also brought a pair of rear shocks and it looks like they are SAIC originals, fingers crossed ...

So many fake parts out there though, even Rimmers have had problems reading the forums, I guess it is just pot luck.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2019, 14:50   #8
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Just to echo what others have said!

Poor quality parts will be the death of these cars.

Unfortunately, people will continue to buy on price alone, which is false economy. Another downside to this is the fact that the manufacturer's of junk stay in business, and the manufacturer's of quality parts go bust because people don't want to pay the high prices.

You have to remain realistic about prices when you are looking to buy something. Example, if you buy drop links for £10, how much did they cost to produce? 50p or maybe £1.

If I am looking to buy anything for my car, I always come on here first to see if anyone can recommend a part .

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 11th December 2019 at 14:53..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 00:43   #9
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
I have plumped for DRMGS drop links this time after having failures with Delphi, it was the 4 year no quibble warranty that swayed me so fingers crossed. I also brought a pair of rear shocks and it looks like they are SAIC originals, fingers crossed ...

So many fake parts out there though, even Rimmers have had problems reading the forums, I guess it is just pot luck.
I don’t know about ‘pot luck’, I think it is a lack of empathy by the shopkeeper as the first person in the line who buys them. It appears to me that those types mentioned just do not care so long as they can make a buck on them. Caveat Empore or something like hat!

Last edited by bl52krz; 15th December 2019 at 19:13.. Reason: Spelling mistakes
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 11:25   #10
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Right soap box out again ..

As far as I'm concerned all Supplers will buy everytning in as cheap as possible with no regard to the quality and sell at the biggest markup they can get away with along with a warranty that is practically worthless !.

Of course be nice to have proof this doesn't happen !

Any warranty that is less than 3 yrs is pathetic and on suspension parts well ought to to be 3+yrs absolute minimum.

For all the parts I've bought over the years from recognised suppliers and with my mileage about 6k annually and many parts now worn out after 2 years .. well .... theres your answer..

But then our old cars are a shrinking market so actually producing parts for obsolete cars is a risk in itself for manufacturers/suppliers ?.

Box away for now

Chris
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 12th December 2019 at 11:30..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote