Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th April 2009, 13:41   #1
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default VIS valves project - oil barrier with position indicators

Short story and a few pics; a project based on a fact and a question:
- oil vapours will slowly but surely cause a VIS valve actuator fault; it's only a matter of time;
- are my VIS valves working ?

Basic principle:

Design pics:

The position sensors are magnetic, they have nothing to do with the EMS and show the ACTUAL position of the valves, regardless what ECU is doing or thinking.

The "heros", a shaft seal and an axial INA bearing:

Unfinished prototype:

The original VIS valves gaskets fitted to the oil barriers. No modifications of the original actuators are necessary:

That's all for the moment. Hopefully I'll be able to post more project progression pics in the very next days.
Feel free to ask, discuss or...criticize

Cheers,

Fidel

Last edited by workaholic_ro; 10th April 2009 at 15:00..
workaholic_ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 14:11   #2
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

All looking very professional so far.

So how long until you'll be selling your upgraded VIS motors. I know I'll be after 2 if they are solid performers.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 14:34   #3
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
All looking very professional so far.

So how long until you'll be selling your upgraded VIS motors. I know I'll be after 2 if they are solid performers.
Thanks for your appreciation !

Soon after I'll have all the ordered parts (connectors, screws, sensors and bearings) and the heat resistant plastic. I also need some time for more tests. The plastic I have at this moment is limited to 80 degrees Celsius, maybe enough, not sure, but I don't risk to take any chances.
I have to point out that I am not working on VIS motors. They remain unchanged. The oil barrier is actually an "adapter" to be placed between the existent VIS motors and the plenum. The final version will not have metal parts, these would push the costs to high; but from my previous experience it is not the plastic what generated the eternal VIS problems.

Cheers,

Fidel

Old 10th April 2009, 14:37   #4
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic_ro View Post
Thanks for your appreciation !

Soon after I'll have all the ordered parts (connectors, screws, sensors and bearings) and the heat resistant plastic. I also need some time for more tests. The plastic I have at this moment is limited to 80 degrees Celsius, maybe enough, not sure, but I don't risk to take any chances.
I have to point out that I am not working on VIS motors. They remain unchanged. The oil barrier is actually an "adapter" to be placed between the existent VIS motors and the plenum. The final version will not have metal parts, these would push the costs to high; but from my previous experience it is not the plastic what generated the eternal VIS problems.
I get the idea. Protect the VIS motors from the oil with a physical barrier. An excellent idea. That in conjunction with my dual catch tanks should solve the issue once and for all.

Old 10th April 2009, 15:14   #5
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
I get the idea. Protect the VIS motors from the oil with a physical barrier. An excellent idea. That in conjunction with my dual catch tanks should solve the issue once and for all.
Thats right. But I'm more excited by the position sensors. You know, the question I've mention at the beginning of this thread.
BTW, I'll miss the periodically dismantling and cleaning I think I can do this operation now with my eyes closed.

Cheers,

Fidel

Old 10th April 2009, 15:40   #6
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Quote:
Thats right. But I'm more excited by the position sensors. You know, the question I've mention at the beginning of this thread.
BTW, I'll miss the periodically dismantling and cleaning I think I can do this operation now with my eyes closed.

I like the idea of the in car indicators. You could place them on the switch panel.

With your skills I'm surprised you haven't just gotten rid of the VIS motors altogether and fabricated your own. You have the knowledge and your skills are obviously up to the task. hint hint.

Old 10th April 2009, 17:22   #7
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
I like the idea of the in car indicators. You could place them on the switch panel.

With your skills I'm surprised you haven't just gotten rid of the VIS motors altogether and fabricated your own. You have the knowledge and your skills are obviously up to the task. hint hint.
Thanks again.
I must confess that I was thinking about it and actually I even have an idea. The main reason that stoped me is that a completelly new design will have to interact DIRECTLY with the ECU. I'm not scared at all by that and I know what and how should be done but:
- regardless what kind of modification or/and improvement of these systems, they must be made at least as a small production; it is not worth to make a single unit due to the costs and efforts involved, not even if it is for my own car;
- people are happy to play with usefull gadgets for their cars but I'm afraid that they are reluctant if they are connected to the car "brain";
- in case of any electrical major fault the first part suspected will be the improvement even if it has nothing to do with the problem.
I hope you understand my concerns.

Cheers,

Fidel

Old 10th April 2009, 17:37   #8
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Quote:
Thanks again.
I must confess that I was thinking about it and actually I even have an idea. The main reason that stoped me is that a completelly new design will have to interact DIRECTLY with the ECU. I'm not scared at all by that and I know what and how should be done but:
- regardless what kind of modification or/and improvement of these systems, they must be made at least as a small production; it is not worth to make a single unit due to the costs and efforts involved, not even if it is for my own car;
- people are happy to play with usefull gadgets for their cars but I'm afraid that they are reluctant if they are connected to the car "brain";
- in case of any electrical major fault the first part suspected will be the improvement even if it has nothing to do with the problem.
I hope you understand my concerns.

I fully understand. It would also have to come out cheaper than £90 per unit.
I've been thinking of trying to build my own unit myself but I don;t have the skills to make the plastic unit and the people I've spoken to are reluctant to try.

The electrics are quite basic so I'd feel confident there. In fact I would probably use heavy duty switches and motors over the flimsy ones in our VIS units.

Old 10th April 2009, 17:38   #9
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

I'm very surprised no one else has had any comments. Perhaps they are all out for the night.

Old 10th April 2009, 20:04   #10
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

what a brilliant project