Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th August 2007, 09:06   #1
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

Default KV6 oil breather and manifold issues

Hi all – I need some help, but first a bit of background.
I have been doing a bit of research on the problem of the manifold getting gunked up with oil from the breather.

With time and heat this oil becomes gummy and causes amongst other things, a sticky control rod for the butterfly valves which in turn places a heave load on the VIS motor and drive gears causing them to fail.

I surmise that by removing the oily fumes entering the manifold in the first place followed by giving the manifold a good flush out I should enjoy trouble free motoring for some time to come. E.g. no dreaded manifold rattle, failed VIS motors, mysterious oil leaks, sticky throttles, etc.

Some cursory investigations indicate that it is the smaller of the two breathers that is the primary culprit as it is on the high vacuum side of the throttle body. It was also the only on of the two breathers that had obvious oil deposits on it.

Re-plumbing the oil breathers to atmosphere is not an option given the current climate so some sort of catch tank seems to be the way to go.

Unfortunately most of the catch tanks available on the after market are too large to fit into the already crowded engine bay.

In my travels on the web I came across a filter which is not only fits nicely in the 75 it can be easily serviced/cleaned, and what’s more it also has the push release type pipe fitting used on the KV6.

I found this photo on the web but unfortunately I have not been able to find the source on the xpower forum again so my apologies to the author. (I subsequently rescued the photo from my temp folder)

My question is. Can anyone identify it, the manufacturer or a supplier that it can be obtained from? Perhaps even a part number.

Last edited by Kiwirover; 9th August 2007 at 10:26..
Kiwirover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 12:35   #2
MartinW

MG TF LE500

I seem to recall that when I read that it was a chap that worked in the RV industry and it was some sort of breather or trap used in caravans and campers.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 19:42   #3
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

I note the picture was originally posted on XPF, can you not ask the poster to advise?
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 05:11   #4
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

Thanks all – GG, I have finally found the original post again. Took some searching though... However my original post above may be of interest or use to someone perhaps even if only to have a good giggle

I now have a locally sourced solution (not quite the same) which I will fit this weekend.
Old 10th August 2007, 14:19   #5
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

That is a very neat looking filter I wonder if it works?

One of the problems with similar ideas is finding one that condenses the oil vapour out of the breather fumes constantly to condense something you need a cool environment and finding somewhere cool under the cramped KV6 bonnet was proving difficult! I suggested putting it in the plenum with the goldfish :SHOCKED:
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 20:38   #6
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

That’s probably not a silly idea Keith. It wouldn’t be hard at all to extend the breather through the plenum bulkhead and back again. Although the temporary one I have connected seems to work just fine and sure catches the oil - about one quarter of a teaspoon in two weeks. Not a trace in the throttle body or in the manifold. However I have only had it on for a couple of weeks so it is still early days yet I guess.

For your information the temporary one I have used is of the disposable opaque plastic fuel filter type.
I would prefer a serviceable type so I can just clean it our rather than replacing it every 6 months or so.

I have not been able to find anything remotely like the one in the picture above, much less anything with push/pull fittings. The nearest I have managed is a rather ugly affair requiring half inch reducers and assorted plumbing.

It’s certainly not as tidy as the one in the photo but it’s the best I can obtain in our rather limited market and will just have to make do.

I guess on my current form, about one week after fitting my filter I will see the exact same filter as in the photo in some shop for half the price.
Old 10th August 2007, 22:19   #7
Steady-Eddie
Avid contributor

2004 75 CDTi, Conn SE

Default oil catch tank

Seriously thinking of fitting a catch tank to my lump. Had a look around the web after work tonight and came across this site.

http://www.triumphshop.co.uk/Quiller...lcatchtank.htm

Wondered if anybody had tried this particular model? It's quite a few pounds cheaper than the Moto-Build one and seems to do the same job
Old 11th August 2007, 06:35   #8
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

Hi Eddie. I thought about a catch can but there is nowhere really to mount it in a 75 engine bay, that’s why I have opted for this arrangement.

Some photos of my temporary breather filter set-up. The clear tube is to monitor the oil flow – and a convenient method of mounting the disposable filter. Thus far only the inlet to the filter shows any oil residue.

Last edited by Kiwirover; 4th September 2007 at 11:04.. Reason: Repair image link
Kiwirover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 06:52   #9
HOMER
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+ 2.5 V6 Sadly no more

This looks like a very tidy option to the " Where can I fit a catch tank with out an induction " but does any one no where to get them, I see the one's in the XPF pictures he mentions there something to do with motor homes, any one have any ideas? There's a motor home centre not to far from me might print a picture and ask for one of these
HOMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 09:52   #10
john adam
Avid contributor

1999 Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur saloon

Hello Graham, all this talk about failed VIS motors has got me wondering how to check our 2.5 V6, not sure that Harbour City would know where to start. True fuel consumption is currently just under 10 litres per 100 kms, however, the computer says 9.1. I am also interested in seeing how you solve the oil breather problem.
john adam is offline   Reply With Quote