Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th January 2008, 19:27   #1
Frobs
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T Cdti+135 Gunmetal Grey

Default Issue 2 - Door Shut adjustment

I was giving the Dark silver one a bit of TLC, by giving all the exterior dark trim some treatment with that gel stuff for plastic / rubber. I was closely checking all the door seals, that they are doing their job properly. It is actually rather impressive the way that there are so many seals and how well they are manufactured.

Another potenial source of my excessive wind noise is that the seals are not quite working correctly, so I was kind of plumping them up, and applying the oily gel. The rubber seals should take up the oil, which should slightly swell the material and give a bit of resiliance back.

I noticed though that the passenger door was maybe 2mm proud of the line of the rear door. The drivers door is pretty well perfectly flush. So I was wondering if there was an adjustment to give a tighter door fit. This will compress the seals slightly more, as well as reducing the overlap - although it is barely noticable.

Cheers

Frobs
Frobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 19:38   #2
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

"oily gel"?

What is that please?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 19:58   #3
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
"oily gel"?

What is that please?
A Gel who works in a chip shop?

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 20:02   #4
Frobs
Avid contributor

Dave

Unfortunately I have left the bottle of this mystery fluid at work. It was recommended by the local motor factors for treating the black bits of the exterior. I go there and buy stuff first, and then nip round to Halfrauds to do the rest. (H's had a 3 for 2 offer on car care stuff yesterday, so I bought 6 things - £50 quid even with the offer !!! - but I digress)

I think the bottle said it was bumper cleaner, and it is stated that is a gel. It comes out a bit like swarfega, but a much lighter colour green, and less smelly. You rub it into anything black it seems - ie window rubber seals, roof bars and trim bits and bobs. You leave it to dry, and it restores the finish to the greyed out plastic, and then leaves a protective water repellent film. It says that it contains oils.

Rubber is basically a laticework of jumbled up long chain molecules. When you push / pull it, the chains bunch up or straighten out. In between the chains there are a variety of other chemicals that are there usually for protection of the rubber from ozone / oxygen etc. Rubber tends to "bloom", you will notice, usually with a slight grey hazing effect. This is usually a type of wax or oil that is the protective agent, which leaches out over time. As rubber ages, the long chain molecules break, and can even reattach to other strands at additional points along their length, causing compression set, weakening, and less stretchyness. So, I was thinking that the rubber should absorb some of this gel, which would give a little of the spring back - maybe. But just working the seal forwards and backwards should release a little of the compression set in the seal. Not much, but every little helps.

Maybe I'll ask a rubber technologist for more advice - I know a few experts in this.

Frobs
Old 29th January 2008, 20:05   #5
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

can I just use baby lotion?
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 20:10   #6
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobs View Post
Dave

Unfortunately I have left the bottle of this mystery fluid at work. It was recommended by the local motor factors for treating the black bits of the exterior. I go there and buy stuff first, and then nip round to Halfrauds to do the rest. (H's had a 3 for 2 offer on car care stuff yesterday, so I bought 6 things - £50 quid even with the offer !!! - but I digress)

I think the bottle said it was bumper cleaner, and it is stated that is a gel. It comes out a bit like swarfega, but a much lighter colour green, and less smelly. You rub it into anything black it seems - ie window rubber seals, roof bars and trim bits and bobs. You leave it to dry, and it restores the finish to the greyed out plastic, and then leaves a protective water repellent film. It says that it contains oils.

Rubber is basically a laticework of jumbled up long chain molecules. When you push / pull it, the chains bunch up or straighten out. In between the chains there are a variety of other chemicals that are there usually for protection of the rubber from ozone / oxygen etc. Rubber tends to "bloom", you will notice, usually with a slight grey hazing effect. This is usually a type of wax or oil that is the protective agent, which leaches out over time. As rubber ages, the long chain molecules break, and can even reattach to other strands at additional points along their length, causing compression set, weakening, and less stretchyness. So, I was thinking that the rubber should absorb some of this gel, which would give a little of the spring back - maybe. But just working the seal forwards and backwards should release a little of the compression set in the seal. Not much, but every little helps.

Maybe I'll ask a rubber technologist for more advice - I know a few experts in this.

Frobs
It was Raistlin who was asking, I was just being silly. I use a silicone spray which seems to do a similiar thing

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 21:18   #7
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Sounds a bit like Back to Black.

I use Halfrauds rubber lubricant on the door seals.

One of the few Halfrauds products I've tried that works.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 21:28   #8
Frobs
Avid contributor

Sorry Dave, I meant Raistlin - I knew you were joking

I guess it must be pretty much the same thing as back to black

On the seals, I guess that anything that soaks into the rubber will work - as long as it is compatible with the rubber and doesnt attack it.

Anyone know how to adjust the door shut ? - ie to make the door shut about 2mm tighter

Frobs
Old 30th January 2008, 00:42   #9
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Simply loosen the 2 Torx screws on the strike plate and tap the plate 2mm inwards!!

Glycerene is the product to preserve rubber. (clear syrup type liquid)
Chemists uesd to sell it. I sometimes pinch a bit from a bottle in my Dad's garage. It keeps for decades!!

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 06:29   #10
Frobs
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Simply loosen the 2 Torx screws on the strike plate and tap the plate 2mm inwards!!

Glycerene is the product to preserve rubber. (clear syrup type liquid)
Chemists uesd to sell it. I sometimes pinch a bit from a bottle in my Dad's garage. It keeps for decades!!
Thanks Jules,

I'll give that a go. I wondered if it would be that simple, but I was worried about say damaging the paint around the strike plate. I think Ive got a suitable torx screw undo-er, so I'll get out there later and be very careful.

I'll ley Y'all know how it goes.

(BTW, do I know you from somewhere - like the Torotak boards ?....)

Frobs