Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd May 2020, 15:52   #1
Fred Byrne
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Engine Fan & Resistor on 2.5l Connoisseur

Yesterday having refilled the radiator I ran the engine up to a temperature of 115 centigrade. The fan did not switch on. I assumed that the fan resistor was probably burnt out. . The chassis number/vin is SARRJZLLM2D231951 and it was registered on 2/3 2002 in Coventry. I peered in through the radiator grille and could not see any resistor. This morning I removed the front bumper but a very severe wind storm prevented me from continuing. I wonder could any one tell me if the fan is a two speed, single speed or 3 speed fan. There is a vacant space at 2 o’clock where a resistor could be fitted and either the resistor was removed or there never was one in the first place. I got nervous at taking the engine temperature higher than 115 (don’t want another engine out job just yet). I assumed that if it was a 3 speed fan it would have started at 100 degrees or there-about and similarly if it were two speed. Some of the screws holding the bumper on underneath are also missing which makes me wonder if someone removed the bumper in order to modify the fan. I tried switching on air con but the car has ATC so I think this over-rides manual control (or does it?). I pressed the econ button but no fan. The relay in the engine compartment fuse box has been tested and is OK

Fred
Fred Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:19   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Going by the date of your car I’d guess it is a three speed type and typically the low & medium have failed. If the commutator is in useable condition then you might just get away with replacing one or possibly two carbon brushes. I’ve replaced about eight fan motors, two were beyond salvage but the others have been returned to service with little cost. Search for Arctic’s thread on motor repair and Simon will undoubted advise where you can obtain new brushes.

Good luck
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote