Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th June 2021, 11:25   #1
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer & Diesel Saloon

Talking The Eurosausage

BBC News - Brexit: What is the Northern Ireland Protocol and why does it affect sausages?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53724381

Party Games, Yes Minister.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0751812/

I wonder who the present Minister for Administrative Affairs is ?
Does he want to be PM ?
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 12:27   #2
Georgies Dad
"Mighty Canaries Supporter"

Rolls Royce

Thanked 2,847 Times in 1,954 Posts

Nothing to moan about,the UK signed up to the deal.

No chilled meats to be imported from non EU countries,nothing to debate, its been agreed by our Government
Old 9th June 2021, 13:40   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgies Dad View Post
Nothing to moan about,the UK signed up to the deal.

No chilled meats to be imported from non EU countries,nothing to debate, its been agreed by our Government
Indeed, but try putting a customs post at newry or dundalk (or any of the 100s of border roads) and then see the ruckas that follows lol.

Ireland dont want the border, because it would infringe their constitution, northern ireland do not want a border, because it would infringe on the good friday agreement. Britain cannot dump northern ireland onto ireland as it was agreed to 100 years ago, besides britain would be paying us off for at least 100 years (pensions, nhs, etc).

Personally I think the eu and ireland will have to deal with it themselves (smuggling patrols) on their side, and the uk on the north side. It is not as though eu countries try very hard to control the illegal immigrants and contraband to either ireland or britain from the eu mainland.

20 Years ago I would have been against a United ireland, now am.not so sure. 15% vat against 21%, no nhs (paying 50 quid to see the doctor? Mightnt be a bad idea though). My objections were always based upon financial considerations. The theft of the lands has since become a moot issue. The eu rationalisation allowed things to fall into the hands of ireland, that ni would have benefited more now because of it (roads for example). But this too has started to subside.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 9th June 2021 at 13:43..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clf For This Useful Post:
Old 9th June 2021, 14:41   #4
MissMoppet
Gets stuck in

R 75 Tourer diesel, V6 Conny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgies Dad View Post
. . . its been agreed by our Government.

In ignorance . . .
Old 9th June 2021, 14:58   #5
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Just impose 300% tariff on any similar products entering GB from EU (including Eire)
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 15:44   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Just impose 300% tariff on any similar products entering GB from EU (including Eire)
How do you stop it being smuggled into the uk via ireland without a border/customs post?

I can remember going to my grandmothers to pick up meat parcels when i was young after she had 'smuggled' it through the checkpoint at newry. It is not a new concept, but the fact prevents a practical,logical and obvious solution (that is used in other countries).

The uk needs a trade deal to maintain a status quo, to make such smuggling unprofitable. This would.negate the need for a visible border, making all sides in both Irelands happy.
You put a border up, the Republicans dig up their arms and start again, youhave an irish sea border and the loyalists dig up theirs.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 16:18   #7
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,161 Posts

Sadly a depressing thought given how much progress has been made. I read your initial post with interest - not having any personal experience.

I would add that Eire introduced a Corporation Tax rate of just 12.5% which considering the rate in the USA is 28%, the U.K. is 19% and the effective rate in Germany is about 30%* - it means that Bidens call to have a common rate to tackle the Tech Companies circumventing countries with higher rates will hit Ireland hard.

* - Germany has two equivalent taxes - Corporation Tax and their Municipal trade tax (regional I think ?) that varies around 16%.

So this proves that differing countries within (and outside) the EU can have differing regulations and standards.

But the reality is that the situation is bonkers and if anyone really thinks about it - could anything be more stupid than the EU saying it’s going to make the U.K. pay for wanting to send the same sausages to part of the U.K. that we have always traded for decades

The EU wants NI shops to stop selling chilled meats. And as I understand it - this was NOT agreed back on the 24th December.

It was one of those details that had to be sorted - hence the grace period whilst the issue was ironed out.

Trouble is - the EU has been “slow to engage” - or do anything it seems - preferring instead to issue threats to act “firmly and resolutely” (over a sausage!!) and to heck with what NI wants and the hard won Peace.

The EU is not coming over very well here.....

Edit to add:-

It seems that the Americans cannot understand how the EU is now banning sausage(s) that only months ago were eaten in the EU. Their suggestion is to simply agree a common standard.

Which is what was supposed to happen during the grace period.

Last edited by Darcydog; 9th June 2021 at 16:30..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darcydog For This Useful Post:
Old 9th June 2021, 16:55   #8
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer & Diesel Saloon

Red face

I was trying to highlight, that 35+ years ago, a scriptwriter (and ex-civil-servant) wrote a wonderful farcical tale about politicians, the greasy gravy train, the EU and the mighty British Low Fat Offal Tube (sausage), and 35 years later, it all becomes TRUE.

I apologize for stirring up a hornet's nest.

Has the EU really shown itself up as the ultimate farce, for now trying to ban something, that before Brexit, was perfectly safe and acceptable ?

And worst of all, because of this farce, people will restart killing each other over it ?

Humans are unbelievable !

Last edited by MarkS; 9th June 2021 at 16:59..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:
Old 9th June 2021, 17:32   #9
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
I was trying to highlight, that 35+ years ago, a scriptwriter (and ex-civil-servant) wrote a wonderful farcical tale about politicians, the greasy gravy train, the EU and the mighty British Low Fat Offal Tube (sausage), and 35 years later, it all becomes TRUE.

I apologize for stirring up a hornet's nest.

Has the EU really shown itself up as the ultimate farce, for now trying to ban something, that before Brexit, was perfectly safe and acceptable ?

And worst of all, because of this farce, people will restart killing each other over it ?

Humans are unbelievable !

How wonderfully put!!

Totally agree!!

And as well as the programme you mention - I think the whole scenario reads like an even more bizarre couple of episodes of “Allo Allo”.

They had a “knockwurst”

It’s fun allocating the acting parts.

I so want to cast Guy Verhofstadt. He’s a comedy act par excellence.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 18:21   #10
MissMoppet
Gets stuck in

R 75 Tourer diesel, V6 Conny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post

. . . could anything be more stupid . . .
. . . than the UK leaving the largest most sophisticated market 22 miles from our doorstep? I can't think of anything.