Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th August 2019, 16:23   #1
Kenneth Smith
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Default Front ABS Sensor Removal

Hi, I have tried to drill out my ABS Sensor (front, Drivers side) and have managed to get to the shiney bit (presumably the Sensor Tip) and am a bit wary about going further. Need advice as to best method of removing the last bit of Sensor without hopefully not stripping the whole Hub assembly. If Hub has to be stripped then best way to carry this out. Regards Ken
Kenneth Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2019, 20:30   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Carefully pilot drill through the end and screw a long wood screw into it and pull it out with a mole wrench.

Worked for me.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2019, 20:32   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Smith View Post
Hi, I have tried to drill out my ABS Sensor (front, Drivers side) and have managed to get to the shiney bit (presumably the Sensor Tip) and am a bit wary about going further. Need advice as to best method of removing the last bit of Sensor without hopefully not stripping the whole Hub assembly. If Hub has to be stripped then best way to carry this out. Regards Ken
Hi Kenneth.
What you should have done was drill a 3ml hole and then screw in a bolt or wood screw and prise out the stuck ABS sensor.

If you can see something shiney then that could be the bearing it's self, how far in have you gone and what size drill bit you used.

Once you do get it out, the hole will still need to be cleaned out carefully, using a file always hoovering the debris as you go.

PS Mike you beat me to it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12145.jpg (129.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12155.jpg (137.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12157.jpg (125.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12158.jpg (127.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12160.jpg (119.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12161.jpg (131.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12162.jpg (132.6 KB, 25 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2019, 21:48   #4
Kenneth Smith
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Hi Artic, thank you very much for your advice .I tried the 3mm drill and screw idea but the Sensor wouldn't budge, just kept pulling screw out with no Sensor. Judging by depth of hole (which is now 10mm dia.) I am at the top of actual Sensor which must be metal of some sort. Regards Ken
Old 17th August 2019, 22:21   #5
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

While I understand the technique of the screw through the centre of the sensor, I have yet to get any success from such process to write home about.
Fortunately I have managed to change quite a few and only had a couple require drilling etc.
My theory is : If the couple of components are removed IE: Hub nut, lower drop link joint, lower ball joint to hub carrier, track rod end, the drive shaft can easily be freed off from the hub carrier, the strut can then be rotated for tool enter inside next to the bearing where the sensor tip protrudes. Assuming the sensor has indeed failed and not required for further service it won't matter I guess how it gets removed.
Other reasons for the process advantages include, clearing all of the debris out of the bearing area, a decent clean of the tube where the replacement sensor will go, less chance of potentially damaging bearing casing and finally - when drilling a hole, then expanding the sensor diameter within the tube it is fitted to with a screw expected to grip tightly to the offending broken piece, I would estimate that the sensor body would most likely try to expand against the tube walls giving rise to further efforts required to extract parts individually rather than in one piece using the method I now use for stuck solid ones.
The efforts in undoing the components I suggest will take less time, stand less risks to other components with no faults, and considerably less patience testing !

I expect there to be arguments about my practice in this as so many accept that they always have the worst ever sensor to remove, and I know nothing about the subject at all, and that established procedures are infinitely superior to mine, but I have tried many of the different practices, and find mine to be more successful and less stressful to complete.

I hope the OP has a successful outcome !

Last edited by RogerHeinz57; 17th August 2019 at 22:25.. Reason: .
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 17:44   #6
Kenneth Smith
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Hi, Managed to remove the T50 Torx screw holding Hub to Brake Disc
and managed to get the Drive Shaft nut off but can't move the Hub from Spline and can't move the 3 little bolts holding the Back Plate in position. Any ideas please. Thanks Ken