Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st May 2017, 08:41   #1
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Default Gold Resistor exploded?

I fitted a new gold resistor to the fan about 6 weeks ago, and everything was fine until yesterday.

I fitted my recently aquired front bumper yesterday morning. The bumper came with all the lights and temp sensor fitted, so I figured that before I replaced all the bolts and fittings I would check all the lights were working. I started the engine and checked the indicators were flashing, yes! small spot lights, yes! headlights, yes! All good to go!

(I had the bonnet open) Out of the blue I saw smoke coming up from from the left side radiator area, very quickly followed by a pop noise. I quickly turned off the engine and was ready to get a bucket of water expecting flames!

The smoke had that electrical smell, and slowly cleared. I figured I knew what it was, so got my torch and shone it into the front grill at the resistor. Yes, it was the resistor, one of the ends looks to have blown out of the gold case.

I am at a loss as to what caused it. I am guessing the fan didn't start. Now I know that the resistor MUST have the fan blowing on it because it gets hot very very quickly as i found out when I was fitting it just a few weeks ago.

The only thing that I can think of is that when the temp sensor has been disconnected the system has to re-set. I do remember when starting the engine that the gauge in the car was showing -9 deg, but I didn't think anything about it as it had done the same last time the bumper was off. Did the -9 deg cause the fan not to start? I can't remember if when I fitted the resistor if I turned on the air-con demist which turned on the fan straight away.

I have ordered a new gold resistor, but I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote