Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th July 2012, 10:51   #21
BigBeere
Avid contributor

MG ZT

This happens to my 03 ZT 135. I just thought this was normal as my previous car, 58reg mondeo diesel, done exactly the same thing.

BigBeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 11:01   #22
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbberd View Post
even doing it as you have described , in that last instant as you clutch/brake /come to a stop... the revs drop quite low ( anti stall as someone mentioned ???), so low you think it will stall , and then they rise back up to idle..You still have to clutch when stopping , there is no escaping that one.
it is a weird one...
Other modern diesels I have driven, notice the car is still moving a increase the engine revs even when the car is in neutral. Revs hang a bit above 1000rpm, then fall to a normal tick-over as the car stops.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 15:23   #23
Robbberd
Loves to post

MG ZT

just been out in the car , noticing a bit of a "miss" every now and again, wonder if its related ???
Robbberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 19:56   #24
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Could be a fuel injector worn and giving a poor supply at low revs. The ECU picks up a potential stall and boosts the fuel supply to compensate.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 20:10   #25
denis
Gets stuck in

2004 MG-ZT CDTi 135 Saloon in TROPHY YELLOW + Synergy Two-wow and an Aussy import RAV 4 2.4L

Bottom line is it shouldn't do it. The revs should drop back to the adjusted idle and operation of the brakes or anything else shouldn't have an effect. Mine certainly doesn't play games like that.
If there is a so called vacuum problem and it affects the idle then it probably means the vacuum system has sprung a leak somewhere and is drawing in air when it shouldn't, which is destabilizing the idle.
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 21:25   #26
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I don't think it's vacuum related. My daughter's Freelander TD4 had a split vacuum pipe that was so bad the brakes lost their servo assistance at low revs but the coasting idle was fine.

On the overrun the ECU shuts off fuel to the engine but has an anti stall strategy if the revs drop off. This appears to be what is happening.

So it could be due to the brake or clutch sensors on the pedals not registering so the ECU thinks the engine is being driven on the overrun when it isn't. I assume it's only manual cars that do this and not autos?

My car also does this, and the brake lights and cruise all work and shut off when they should, but there is a separate signal input from the brake pedal switch that goes directly to the ECM independent of the brake light and ABS ECU input. I wonder what would happen if this failed?

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 28th April 2020 at 09:58..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 21:14   #27
Robbberd
Loves to post

MG ZT

Just thinking , could it be a leak ? Just had a good route round engine and noticed bit of oil around intercooler hose , obviously o rings on way out .... ill have to order some from jules . But , could it be down to a pressure loss somehow ??? Just a thought .
Old 6th August 2012, 12:37   #28
Robbberd
Loves to post

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
I think it sees revs dropping, not in gear, clutch not full engaged, your going to stall and does "something".

I think.

ive read somewher it could be related to the cruise control switch ( is it still there if you havent got it ??) on the back of the pedal...

can anyone shed any light on this theory ??
Old 6th August 2012, 14:44   #29
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

I have cruise - but it works fine.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 15:25   #30
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Don't know about the diesel types, but on the v6 petrol versions it is worth dismantling the idle air valve and giving it a clean . This is mounted on the throttle body . Don't think the 1.8 still has one , although the 1.6 versions of the engine did !
Might help

Last edited by chris75; 6th August 2012 at 15:36.. Reason: changed info
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote