Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th January 2019, 15:51   #1
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Default Update on cordless drill purchase

OK.... so after making an enquiry for suggestions for a decent new cordless drill/driver the other week, and after undertaking a bit of online research I made my decision and have pounced.

The brief was for a reasonably priced ( under £100 ) 18v cordless hammer action drill/driver for general occasional duties around the house and garden after my 18 year old non hammer action DeWalt although still working fine understandably started struggling on the battery holding a charge front and I noticed that it was only a 12v model anyway.

The DeWalt had been a faithful servant over these years for lightweight drilling duties, though when having to drill into masonry whilst installing central heating systems I had always used my bog standard cabled 850W £30 B&Q MacAllister drill which has always handled with ease everything it had ever been asked to do and will be brought back out as and when required. Luckily I had only ever had to work on building sites a handful of times during my working career and on each occasion mains power was already available in the house carcasses, meaning that I had never really needed an expensive high quality cordless drill as used by other trades on site relying on generators or working off ladders.

One of my usual traits is that when I start out looking at a cheap or reasonably priced non essential item that I fancy buying I quite often get a little carried away and end up stretching the bank to get something just that bit better than I really require and after considering some of the many suggestions offered by contributors to my original enquiry upped my budget to £120 -£130 plus, given my big fear that a cheaper model might not measure up power wise as I would like something that had a bit of guts to power into masonry without having to dig out my corded drill every single time I want to attach or drill into something.

The fear of course being that the drill would have to be purchased first before finding out if the power disappointed or was adequate.

I don't know why the likes of B&Q don't have a few bricks hanging about with charged up batteries for their comprehensive number of display models so that potential customers can test before buying, it might well encourage sales if the browsing public were able to allay their lack of power and grunt fears on certain models.
I suppose that this could also cause someone to plump for a cheaper model if they find out that a less heralded cheaper make and model does a more than adequate job for their anticipated needs.

So here was what I eventually plumped for after scaling back my initial thoughts to go a touch overboard compared to my actual anticipated future need........

A Black and Decker 18v brushless drill driver with an impressive 54 N/M torque rating.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Hammer-Dr...+bl188gb+drill.

Whilst I possibly detect the collective groans around the country from the top of the range power tool enthusiasts it's worth pointing out again my occasional use of such a drill.

I took the current Groupon £59 deal and have to say that my first impressions are of a very solid well made piece of kit, and having tested it on several brick and concrete surfaces am even more impressed as it drove a 10mm bit through both surfaces like a knife through butter ( well almost ) it is fair to say that it just powered through them as effectively as I would expect of a corded drill.

Having also tested it's screwdriving and removal capabilities in undrilled wood with some pretty hefty sized woodscrews I have also knocked on the head my fancy for investing in an impact driver as I'm struggling to see why I would need one given the power and performance of this new drill/driver.

I've given it a fair old testing and the, on the face of it, fairly limited 1.5Ah capacity battery is still holding strong on the same initial charge, however the price paid reflects the fact that only one battery was supplied with the drill, I'll hang fire befoire deciding whether to invest in another which would add about another £25 to the price bringing the package up to £85, however at present with no major projects in the pipeline see no immediate need for an additional battery.

Obviously I can't vouch for longevity or how the drill or battery will stand up to periods of hard continuous use or a bit of a bashing, but with a two year guarantee I should have plenty of time for recourse to the guarantee if unfortunately needed.

On first impressions and without the benefit of a year or so of use I would thoroughly recommend this make and model as a reasonably priced, light but solid feel DIY round the house and garden hammer drill/driver if anyone is looking to replace or upgrade an older or less powerful model.

And thank you for all your suggestions
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2019, 16:34   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Oh no, not a B&D, groan...

Seriously though, they are very good value. I have one as an everyday utility drill and after 10+ years it is still going strong.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2019, 17:17   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Oh no, not a B&D, groan...

Seriously though, they are very good value. I have one as an everyday utility drill and after 10+ years it is still going strong.
And where do you think DeWalt originated? oh yes that will be Black and Decker, made in the same plant in Spennymoor where MGJohn's orange two speed drill was made.

So chances are these are made in the same plant in China that the current crop of Dewalt stuff is made.

So when someone starts on about how superior DeWalt stuff is, all you need to say is Black and Decker own DeWalt, not the other way around

How about that for tool snobbery

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 19:22   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Never imagined you as a tool snob Brian?
Old 29th January 2019, 19:52   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Never imagined you as a tool snob Brian?
I'm not David, while the bread and butter tools I use all of the time are of very good quality.......generally Britool prior to it becoming simply a "brand", I also have a smattering of stuff bought cheaply for one off jobs, like a Silverline 18mm flexible ratchet spanner, or a set of Lidl ratchet spanners, or Machine Mart single hex sockets.

In a previous lifetime I owned a Snap On KRA roll cab and top box, as the firm where I started my working life with had an American parent company and they heavily subsidised "domestic" purchase.

Sadly the roll cab was stolen along with many of my tools, a lot of which were apprenticeship prizes, and as such held great sentimental value to me

I still have the top box, and if I ever find myself a suitable premises in which to set up my "man cave", I might treat myself to a used matching roll cab.

Brian
Old 29th January 2019, 20:08   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

my work horse drill is a black and decker.
I have others but this is my work horse.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bl...=1548795991264

cheap as chips, pick them up at car boot sales for less then a fiver.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 20:15   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
my work horse drill is a black and decker.
I have others but this is my work horse.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bl...=1548795991264

cheap as chips, pick them up at car boot sales for less then a fiver.

macafee2
Mine is identical to this

Made in England no less