Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th November 2019, 22:56   #23
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Andrew, Newcastle City Council is hell bent on " green traffic improvement" schemes, reams of badly thought out remodelling of junctions, and unnecessary narrowing of carriageways, and excessive street furniture and signage, cycle lanes which happen to be ignored by most cyclists.

I have observed this "progress" first hand, watched how traffic is affected by the congestion caused by traffic light on roundabouts, bus lanes effective from 7.00 to 19.00 where in off peak periods, you find three double decker busses coming along every ten minute with a handful of passengers being carried.

Speed cushions, that wreck suspension components, cause particulate commission in the form of friction material dust, and rubber dust from tyre, irrespective of the propulsion format of the vehicle.

Make no bones, Newcastle City Council have made it abundantly clear that their desire is to make it as difficult as possible for the private motorist to navigate not only the city centre, but the surrounding suburbs with their crackpot populist schemes.

I hope to be around in 30 years, but I would like to think my children will be also, and I'm not as selfish as you seem to be implying.

I'm an engineer, I also have an analytical mind, and I have eyes and ears, and can actually see first hand what is being carried out to the detriment of my local environment, by people with vested interests........vested interests I hear you say? surely not? T.Dan Smith....remember him

Brian
Brian, I have no doubt that there are incompetent road engineers mis-applying technology in their re-design of Newcastle's road layout, but I suggest their primary motive is traffic management and congestion, and perhaps their green (pollution) concerns are the natural by-product of having to solve the primary problem of increased numbers of private and public transport vehicles, as well as commercial vehicles, standing in traffic jams for longer and longer periods. Yes, they may even be trying to make public transport more speedy by giving it priority over us car drivers - and they make no bones about it in the city centre. But ultimately, they are trying to improve the lives of all Geordies, by ensuring they can get to their destination efficiently. There simply isn't enough road space at rush hour in our cities if we all insist on driving solo in our cars. Back in the days of the yellow trolley buses, there was far less traffic on Newcastle's streets, but it was still fairly chaotic! It seems like a paradox to accuse our councillors of populism in one breath, and then accuse them of upsetting and annoying their population in another!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote