Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th April 2019, 11:21   #1
migueldefender
Regular poster

75 Saloon

Default Egnine don't star or even spin (CDT)

Hello everybody, :-)

i'm having a problem with my 2001 Rover 75 CDT, and hopefully you probably can give some lights.

My Rover it's not working since october last year, because I had a probem with the fuel pump near the engine that didn't work at all (no fuel came out from the pump). At that time I bought a pump, fuel filter and that plastic thing above the fuel filter.

Due a big lack of time, until today I did not had time to change everything.

Of couse that the battery was discharge, so I have reacharged it out from the car last week.

Today I have change everything and the pump it's already pumping fuel, but, when I try to start the engine, I heard a "click" from the starter and everything goes down (the energy). The engine did not even spin.

So, I thought that the battery was dead although, the fact of beeing two days charging. Bought a new battery and the same happen. Try to start, hear a "click" from the starter and the energy goes off and all car goes down, even the lights in the dashbord be very very weak (like no battery). After I try to start, during some seconds there is no power att all in the car, anything works. After those seconds, the energy comes again.

What can it be?

My best regards,
Miguel

P.S.: My english it's not perfect, so, sorry about it. :-)

Last edited by migueldefender; 19th April 2019 at 11:28..
migueldefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 13:15   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Give the battery terminals and connections a good clean as she has been standing for 6 months.

Do the lights flicker? - if so this is telling you its a battery problem.

Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter - at rest (engine off) the battery should give you a reading of 12.5 or more volts - under 12 volts and it looks like a duff battery.

Does she start when jump started? If so with the engine running test the battery with a voltmeter - should give a reading of 14.8 volts - if not you may an alternator problem.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 13:45   #3
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Check that the engine will turn over by using a socket or spanner on the crankshaft pulley bolt. The engine may be solid or the starter could be stuck/engaged.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 19th April 2019 at 19:04..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 16:34   #4
migueldefender
Regular poster

75 Saloon

Thank you about your replys.

I've now tested again and it have some different symptoms. I turn the key to to start the engine, hear the starter making that clique, and all the energy goes off. I have to remove the borne from the battery to have energy again in the car.

A video that I have made:
https://youtu.be/CdC2J8vm_lU

Just in case, I have now the new battery charging (it have a voltimeter, however I do not know how accurate it is), and it's above 13V, look the pic:

My best Regards,
Old 19th April 2019, 16:40   #5
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

if the battery was fully disgharged when you tried to start it theres a possibility that the transponders codes in the key may have scrambled its just a thought thats all rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 18:10   #6
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

If the lights are all going off on the dash, it sounds like your starter motor is jammed or cannot turn the engine. If you cannot get a spanner onto the crank pulley bolt to turn it, put the gears into 4th or 5th, jack up a front wheel and turn the wheel, which will turn the engine, and free the starter. Don't forget to put it in neutral before you try the starter again! My CDT has been having intermittent starter issues, sometimes it will turn the engine first time, sometimes there is not even a click when I turn the key, and sometimes the engine will do half a turn before the starter stops turning. However, after 3 or 4 attempts, during which it may present either problem, it will eventually turn the engine and start. I never suffer your lights off -power failure symptom though! Weird!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 18:51   #7
migueldefender
Regular poster

75 Saloon

Hi,

I forgot to mention, on my case it's an automatic gearbox.

My best regards,
Miguel
Old 19th April 2019, 19:09   #8
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Does sound like the starter is jammed, wouldn't keep trying in case something overheats. If all else fails try the old "hit the starter with something substantial" trick.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 20:20   #9
Blackrose
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

On the video you simply try it and then walk round and lift off the battery connection with your fingers. You must have a good tight connection at the battery posts, so charge the battery overnight then connect it properly before trying it, see what happens then. Make sure the battery earth is good.

Blackrose
Blackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 22:04   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrose View Post
On the video you simply try it and then walk round and lift off the battery connection with your fingers. You must have a good tight connection at the battery posts, so charge the battery overnight then connect it properly before trying it, see what happens then. Make sure the battery earth is good.

Blackrose
The ‘click’ from the starter probably means that the solenoid contacts need replacing. If your battery connections are not tight, the leads can not carry enough current to start your car. Tighten the connections up then try starting the car.