Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th August 2022, 14:23   #1
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

Default reversing sensors.

Hi all, just lately when i put the car in reverse the sounder is going off constantly, Thinking it might be the control box I set out to change it as I have the dreaded water leak in the back so thought it might have got soaked, after pulling the trim out found that the control box is a different colour (mines a tourer & I got it off a saloon) although the plugs are the same, I tried it anyway & the sounder just clicked (I hope this is not normal!), so I changed it back & off it went again, I then removed one of the sensors & unplugged it & it shut up, So my questions are A/ are the control boxes interchangeable & B/ if you disconnect one sensor do the others still work as normal?, Sorry for the long winded post!.
finbarr saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2022, 15:25   #2
Popcorn
Loves to post

55 cdti tourer slush box executive grill

I would check all the sensors first, put car in reverse engine off but ignition on then put your ear up to and close to each sensor if it's got a faint clicking it's ok if no sound then you have a duff sensor, this will give you the constant beep. Mine had two duff sensors replaced them and all is fine now
Popcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2022, 19:28   #3
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

As above.

If one sensor fails, the whole thing won't work. Worth having a spare or two, then you can swap about.

DMGRS have some on clearance.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2022, 23:07   #4
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

This is my problem too. Continuous tone on reversing, seems to be working correctly about one in ten times. Tried DMGRS but the website states 'sold out'.

Last edited by edwardmk; 4th August 2022 at 23:11.. Reason: cat walked over the keyboard
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2022, 00:12   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarr saunders View Post
Hi all, just lately when i put the car in reverse the sounder is going off constantly, Thinking it might be the control box I set out to change it as I have the dreaded water leak in the back so thought it might have got soaked, after pulling the trim out found that the control box is a different colour (mines a tourer & I got it off a saloon) although the plugs are the same, I tried it anyway & the sounder just clicked (I hope this is not normal!), so I changed it back & off it went again, I then removed one of the sensors & unplugged it & it shut up, So my questions are A/ are the control boxes interchangeable & B/ if you disconnect one sensor do the others still work as normal?, Sorry for the long winded post!.
Saloon early ones are black, and i think they are also year dependant.

Tourer face lift one are white.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2022, 10:22   #6
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Saloon early ones are black, and i think they are also year dependant.

Tourer face lift one are white.
Thanks for that, Mine is a 2001 tourer & has a black box fitted but I got hold of a white one off a scrappy, they both use the same plugs/connections so i'm wondering where the difference in colour comes into play as it seems they both use the same sensors?, & I cant see why there would be any difference between a tourer or saloon setup, or of course it maybe that my 2nd hand white unit is duff!.
Old 5th August 2022, 10:27   #7
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
This is my problem too. Continuous tone on reversing, seems to be working correctly about one in ten times. Tried DMGRS but the website states 'sold out'.

There are a few sellers on an auction site & they are around £10 each (reduced from £23 apparently).
Oh & thats how mine started off & then got gradually worse, so prepare yourself for ten out of ten times.
Old 5th August 2022, 10:37   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarr saunders View Post
Thanks for that, Mine is a 2001 tourer & has a black box fitted but I got hold of a white one off a scrappy, they both use the same plugs/connections so i'm wondering where the difference in colour comes into play as it seems they both use the same sensors?, & I cant see why there would be any difference between a tourer or saloon setup, or of course it maybe that my 2nd hand white unit is duff!.
I think but mot 100% sure that the earlier ones had there own sounder, whereas the later ones it was incorporated into the IPK ?

Someone will know but you can not inter change them, i think i have a couple of black ones in the shed somewhere.

Will take a look a later a read what it says on my white one as opposed to the black one.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2022, 15:03   #9
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

Well I checked the sensors & all clicking so I guess they are o,k, Looks like it's the control box after all, typical when I have put all the interior back in!.
Old 5th August 2022, 18:22   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

That isn't correct. If they are clicking it does mean they are detecting your head, but it doesn't prove they aren't still detecting something when you move away.

I found some corrosion on one of the sensor surfaces so removed all of them, rubbed them down and resprayed them. They have been fine since.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote