Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th August 2022, 13:09   #1
Martin L

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Hi-Line Head Unit

The stereo, cd and cassette player all work, but the screen does not illuminate. The previous owner removed the satnav disc player and seems to have done something to disable the computer and screen. Any ideas please?
Martin L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2022, 14:52   #2
brds
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Unfortunately, it needs a SatNav computer/CD player in situ for the screen to work. It was a terrible System design.
brds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2022, 15:06   #3
Martin L

Rover 75 Tourer

Thank you very much. The CD player is connected and is working (I have moved it from the glove box to the rear load space - whatever possessed Rover to put the cd changer in the glove box?). I suspected that the system might need every part of it to be working, and your advice has confirmed my suspicions. I guess that I shall have to find a working satnav (not easy as they are notorious for short-circuiting through damp). Again, many thanks.
Old 17th August 2022, 15:17   #4
brds
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

A BMW unit of the same era will do it, although you'll then get a BMW logo on startup.
There's usually some on eBay but be careful as they may be damged by incorrect power-down. You have to wait for the red led to extinguish on the unit before disconnecting the car battery or unplugging the unit.
Also be careful about getting a unit that uses CDs or a later DVD player as I've seen warnings about the wrong disc type being used.
There's lots of info on the I.C.E. forum.
Old 17th August 2022, 15:21   #5
Martin L

Rover 75 Tourer

Many thanks - very helpful. I'll look out for one.
Old 17th August 2022, 16:13   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

It is my understanding that the system does indeed work without the Satnav drive connected. There are many owners who simply unplugged the sat nav as it was a drain on the battery but they still had the screen , radio and cd working from the radio and tv tuner in the boot

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2022, 16:25   #7
mgzrjake
Loves to post

MG ZTT 135+ diesel, MGZS 180 saloon MK2

Hi I have a fully working high line unit if you wish to buy it.
mgzrjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2022, 17:18   #8
brds
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
It is my understanding that the system does indeed work without the Satnav drive connected. There are many owners who simply unplugged the sat nav as it was a drain on the battery but they still had the screen , radio and cd working from the radio and tv tuner in the boot
I recently had an obscured screen and eventually traced it to the SatNav unit. Unplugging it did not help. Extensive analysis of the wiring diagrams supported that view. I bought a BMW SatNav unit to get it working.
To be sure of not giving misleading information, I've just been out and unplugged the SatNav unit to check and, there is no display.
The radio, cassette & CD all work but as there is no diplay, you cannot see to control them. Maybe other owners settled for this or there is a difference in vintage. Mine is an 02 plate.
Old 17th August 2022, 19:32   #9
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Interesting Bob, and equally to ensure of not giving misleading information when I unplugged my sat nav as it was staying on, admittedly some time ago. Once the car had "gone to sleep" Next time I turned the ignition on the tv tuner took over and presented a different display but functioning head unit. mine is a 1999 but running bmw 16.9 tuner with widescreen head unit

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 17th August 2022 at 19:35..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2022, 10:52   #10
brds
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

There is an intriguing difference here, Dave. The Rave Workshop Manual - System Description for the Navigation System, bottom of page 86-8-13 quotes:
“The video module contains a back-up graphics unit and trip computer functionality to enable the system to continue to function should the main graphics unit or trip computer function in the navigation computer fail.”
This would have saved me a lot of time, grief and expense had it worked. So, Martin and I have a difference with our Tourers. Maybe this is one for the I.C.E. Forum.