Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th November 2006, 14:31   #1
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Default Alpine CD changer unit not working

My radio displays an error message say "No Magazine" or similar when I switch to CD mode. I have the standard fit big button radio in my ZT same as was fitted to the 75. When I looked at my CD changer, there is one CD that appears to be halfway across from the magazine into the unit, and pressing the magazine eject button does nothing! How can I retrieve this and is the CD changer likely to be useless?
Thanks
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 14:37   #2
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Here is some info that may help (courtesy of biggles)

I am myself having multiple issues with the CD changer in my 75 (Symphony HU but I don't know the exact model of CD changer). It may:

* Fail to eject a CD back into the magazine. Poking the stuck carrier with a small flat screwdriver while repeatedly pressing the eject button sometimes helped to finally get the CD and magazine ejected but more often I need to remove the cover of the changer and operate the mechanics by hand to get the CD ejected.

* When the magazine is inserted you can see the mechanism moving from bottom to top but without actually moving any CD:s (i think the "CD check" message is displayed on the HU while doing this). If I remember correctly this very behaviour results in a "NO DISCS" message on the HU. If you still have the cover on your changer, this symptom can be identified by listening to the changer after inserting and if you can hear it faintly sound "klick-klick-klick-klick-klick-whirr" and no CD carriers are being moved then this is it.

I have been able to resolve both these issues temporarily by combinations of

1) Moving the big gear wheel on top of the changer mechanism between its end positions.

and

2) Connecting/disconnecting the changer from the HU (HU turned off).

However, the problems keep coming back. I really just need to keep mine working until I get my iPod integrated, and until then i keep the changer loose in the glovebox with cover removed.

hth

Mike
Old 7th November 2006, 15:30   #3
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Thanks, Mike. I noticed during Summer that if the car had been parked in the sun, the player would somtimes act as you describe saying check CD, and removing and reinserting the magazine would help. I am hoping to get a working 2nd hand unit from a fellow MGB owner out of his 75 as he is upgrading, but as in your link I think it may be time to upgrade the sytem.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote