Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th November 2006, 10:36   #1
DaveN

Default MP3 options for Hi-Line SatNav - confused!

I've read and searched the forums on mg-rover.org and am now a bit confused over whether it's possible or not to change the OE autochanger to one that can play MP3 cd's with the HL satnav head unit. It appears that the general consensus is that it's not possible (easily, that is, ie a straight swap), but there are some posts that seem to imply that some people have managed to do it.
It would be good to have IDtags displayed, etc, but that would not be essential.

I also know that I could just by an Icelink plus kit plus an iPod nano, but to be honest, I don't really want to go that route as for various reasons I dont want an iPod!

Anybody got a definite answer as to what is and what is not possible on the HL satnav unit? Oh, it's a 2003 model, so have no idea as to all this stuff about ISO blocks, etc etc, which really does confuse me even more!
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 12:19   #2
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Hi Dave it seems possible I found a post on BMWNAV that suggested someone had done so I will see if I can dig it out

Personally I am probably going to go the Ipod route as I really want the glove box space.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 13:08   #3
DaveN

Hi Keith, if you manage to dig it out, much appreciated.

Yes, understand about the glove box being made virtually useless, but I've got a perfectly good other mp3 player, and don't wish to fork out for an ipod just for this.... 6 cd's crammed full of mp3's will do me fine, if it works out it can be done.
Old 8th November 2006, 06:01   #4
Womble
Avid contributor

ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
Hi Keith, if you manage to dig it out, much appreciated.

Yes, understand about the glove box being made virtually useless, but I've got a perfectly good other mp3 player, and don't wish to fork out for an ipod just for this.... 6 cd's crammed full of mp3's will do me fine, if it works out it can be done.
I too have another brand of MP3 player, but I still went the Ipod route.

The Dension Icelink Plus itself cost £99, and I got an old 4Gb Ipod Mini off Ebay for £50. The battery isn't holding a charge properly on it, but that doesn't matter at all, since it lives under the floor of the boot (which is where the CD changer is on a tourer) and is permanently on charge there through the Icelink.

Even with one of the smallest Ipods you can get, I've still got 850 tracks on demand, with ID3 tags displayed on the header unit, all for £149. I would be very surprised if you can find a cheaper way to get this functionality, and as Keith points out, this would also give you back your glovebox in a saloon.

Why MGR chose to install the changer for the tourer in the boot but put the saloon one in the glovebox when there was presumeably exactly the same underfloor space in box boots is something of a mystery to me!

'Kermit' - MG ZT-T 260 Mk1 - VIN 019
Womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 09:34   #5
DaveN

Well, it seems that the ipod/Icelink route is going to be the only viable option, if I choose that - thanks for your info though.

Interestingly, I have a tourer but the changer IS mounted in the glovebox. I think this is because I have the hi-line satnav, and the space where the changer would be if fitted in the boot is taken up by the nav computer.

I'll do some hunting around for a cheapo compatible ipod for the Icelink.
Old 8th November 2006, 09:55   #6
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

I think all 260s had the Changer in the boot certainly the Tourers do that is because it is in what should be the spare wheel well which now has battery etc in it so common sense says you might as well put other things there as well.

Thinks the 260 engine ECU is above the glove box with the BCU so it does not suffer from drowning but I wonder if the 260 glove box is smaller as a result

I don't think any off the shelf fwd 75 or ZT came with it in the boot as standard and as you say the option cable was designed for non Hi-Line cars
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 10:11   #7
Womble
Avid contributor

ZT-T 260

Quote:
Well, it seems that the ipod/Icelink route is going to be the only viable option, if I choose that - thanks for your info though.

Interestingly, I have a tourer but the changer IS mounted in the glovebox. I think this is because I have the hi-line satnav, and the space where the changer would be if fitted in the boot is taken up by the nav computer.

Ah. As Keith says, I guess it must be a 260 thing to mount them in the boot then.

The good news is that you will have a much easier job of setting yours up if you go for the icelink. You have to run through some instructions to get the thing to recognise the BMW head unit. This is easy enough to do, but it uses both displays, so if you're shuttling back and forth from the front of the car to the back within 15 seconds each time before the screen blanks, it's NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- knackering after a while!!!

Be aware that all the menu functionality using disc 6 seems to mess with the head unit's head a bit. It does work, but the display does funny things (which revert with no problem when you restart the car). I just use the first 5 CD buttons to run 5 playlists (1 for my wife, 1 for my daughter and 3 for me ) and it's superb at doing that. As it's playlists, you can have songs mixed and matched without having to double up on storage space on CDs.

Old 8th November 2006, 10:12   #8
Womble
Avid contributor

ZT-T 260

Quote:

Where are you located BTW? If you're anywhere near Epsom, you're welcome to take a look at mine before you make your mind up.

Old 8th November 2006, 10:16   #9
RowlandOz

Rover 75 Conn Tourer (2002) 2.5 Auto

Quote:

I have a 9/01 build 2002 Model Year 75 Conn Tourer and the CD is in the glovebox. I'd rather have the glovebox. How easy is the iPod route? Does one utilise the cassette deck or something. If I changed I'd want to be able to put the changer back later. Alternatively, what the gen on relocating in the boot?
RowlandOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 10:41   #10
DeeCee
Regular poster

none

More info/ pictures on Icelink Plus/ Ipod in HL Sat Nav here...

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=151473
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthrea...03#post1684403

Also check out thread on this forum...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=370

Some problems with Icelink Plus Tag display with MK4 Sat Nav.
... Be updating the thread shortly with my lastest findings and some pictures
DeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote