Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2021, 13:41   #11
grivas
I really should get out more.......
 
grivas's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 2,100
Thanks: 101
Thanked 434 Times in 322 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsafly View Post
Exactly where are they going to build all these houses?
Where we live they are throwing up houses in back gardens that have been sold for development or on green belt land, no plans for extra infrastructure to support the extra population though.
There is a limit to how large a population this country can accommodate and we still need land for farming, food production and just enough room so you are not living up your neighbours NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-!
Please feel free to have your own opinion, but I for one won't be listening.
Do you have any idea who the biggest owner of land is in the UK?, I'll give you a clue... they have big guns.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 13:58   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn
 
Arctic's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 15,971
Thanks: 940
Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,248 Posts
Default

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Do you have any idea who the biggest owner of land is in the UK?, I'll give you a clue... they have big guns.

Landowner Acreage owned in England Acreage woodland
Forestry Commission 489,814 414,293
National Trust 474,641 84,433
MOD 397,098 60,311
Crown Estate 264,233 (landward acreage only) 40,558
__________________
Arctic
Givology Learn to Give
Everything is Achievable

ad altiora tendo.

Check out the 2020 meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/meets_2014.html

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 14:48   #13
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 12,348
Thanks: 1,406
Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,864 Posts
Default

what about the church I thought they had a fair bit of land and property?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 15:43   #14
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home
 
VVC-Geeza's Avatar
 
2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Derby.
Posts: 8,077
Thanks: 1,750
Thanked 918 Times in 659 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Firstly let me say, if I have upset or offended you i apologise, there was no intention, I was just talking. No one would have got this house for the asking price, too many interested parties with some making above asking price offers.
I dont know about came easy but we sold for £685,000, with all the fees and bills we had to put in a few thousand. If we had not bought this house we would have had to stayed in rented accommodation spending out on rent, in a house we did not like, with views we did not like, with noise we did not like with a garden we did not like, with a garage we did not like, with parking problems, with our stuff in boxes or a lock up 20 minutes drive away and then, how long would we have to have waited, for the right house to come up and for us to have bought without losing to someone that puts in a higher offer? We are mortgage free and have been for 15 or 20 years. We did not like where we were and it was not doing us any good, what price is piece of mind worth? Via the internet we looked at over 3,000 properties but went after about 6 and viewed perhaps less then 10. We would drive 400 miles just to look at one house.
I completely get how you may feel about outsiders coming in and splashing the cash to buy a property but what of the sellers, they could sell to local people. Years ago my wife told me that there were times when I had gone to bed and she had sat downstairs crying not know how we were going to pay our bills, we have been down to less then £1 in our bank account so please don't think I/we have not been broke. Working overtime and working two jobs is how we got by, money not burning a hole in our pocket meant we saved when we could. My children were brought up on jumble sale and car boot stuff. Unless things were interest free credit if we did not have the money we saved for it. I have never had a new car or motorbike.
My last house cost us more to do up then it was worth when we got it but was supposed to be our forever home. Just checked the net, the house we sold in 2001 for £186,500 sold in 2019 for £490,000. A house we bought for £33,000 and sold for about £65,000 is now selling for about £350,000 this is what the house next door sold for in January, this is one way how people move up the property ladder, inheritance is another.
House prices vary across the country and we moved to a cheaper area.

While some people buy to rent, some buy and fall into renting. Two people have their own property and move in together. In case it does not work out the other house is kept and rented out.


macafee2

You didn't upset or offend me Ian and I am glad you have found somewhere that meets your needs and are now settled.I was just making the point that this 'Gazumping' happening across the UK has a knock on affect right down to basic starter homes which become out of reach for many first time buyers.You were in the fortunate position of having sold a property in the south were then able to buy something of far better value for money further north,but in other cases where people want to move locally it again pushes those properties out of their price range.Your new house would have been professionally valued by an estate agent so that should have been the asking price and no more.It would be one thing if those with the deepest pockets only fought among themselves but their actions have serious consequences all the way down to starter homes.I would bring in legislation that properties could be sold for no more than the asking price with an intention of being fair to all.


I mentioned earlier that the government have fueled this housing boom with record low interest rates and stamp duty holidays,the real culprit is the lockdowns which created so much pent up demand.
__________________

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VVC-Geeza For This Useful Post:
Old 14th October 2021, 17:52   #15
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 12,348
Thanks: 1,406
Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,864 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
You didn't upset or offend me Ian and I am glad you have found somewhere that meets your needs and are now settled.I was just making the point that this 'Gazumping' happening across the UK has a knock on affect right down to basic starter homes which become out of reach for many first time buyers.You were in the fortunate position of having sold a property in the south were then able to buy something of far better value for money further north,but in other cases where people want to move locally it again pushes those properties out of their price range.Your new house would have been professionally valued by an estate agent so that should have been the asking price and no more.It would be one thing if those with the deepest pockets only fought among themselves but their actions have serious consequences all the way down to starter homes.I would bring in legislation that properties could be sold for no more than the asking price with an intention of being fair to all.


I mentioned earlier that the government have fueled this housing boom with record low interest rates and stamp duty holidays,the real culprit is the lockdowns which created so much pent up demand.

Would that force the initial selling price up?
We put our first offer in not knowing what other offers if any there had been. The estate agent came back to us asking for our best and final offer advising he had other offers in the same area. We decided to up the offer. I dont think guzumping took place as no offer was excepted and then new offers put in... as far as I know.
We wanted to move, lockdown got in the way but you seem right, lockdown has got others moving due to lack of space, too much noise what ever and they are moving out of town.


It is difficult, I understand you and I hope you can understand where I am coming from. Your suggestion would perhaps help some but not others.

The one or both of the Channel Islands I think have a rule or at least did have a rule, could not sell to non island born people.

Estate agents, surveyors, solicitors, moving companies all coined the money in and then what about the building / DIY trade, all these people moving into houses and looking to do work to them. I have to hope that should I ever move I can recover not only the purchase price but money spent on the property


macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macafee2 For This Useful Post:
Old 14th October 2021, 18:51   #16
YHT
Regular poster
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: suffolk
Posts: 88
Thanks: 24
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

My 2 penny worth (probably not worth that!). "Afordable" houses at the planning permission stage usually reduce in numbers when paper comes to bricks and mortar. After the first folk have bought an Affordable house it goes on the open market at "un-affordable". There is regularly a bit in Private Eye about property in the UK being bought by those who do not live in the UK through tax havens and avoid stamp duty or whatever. We are host to a large number of immigrants for whatever reason they come here; financial, persecution in their home country etc but the UK is a densely populated over crowded island and I dont think more folk are really needed. There have been complaints about losing cheap labour with BREXIT but cheap labour/low wages removes the incentive to automate etc. Before Covid a lot of firms "needed" people to work in offices; may now work from home. This could develop into a long ramble but think the gist is clear. Those who complain there are not enough folk to pick asparagus etc should get out there and do some picking or get busy with a harvester design. A long toem ago a combine harvester had a driver, 2 men on the back bagging the wheat/barley or whatever. The sacks were then dumped on the ground and a tractor with driver, two on the trailer and two on the ground collect the bags. Now its just a combine driver who discharges the grain into a trailer.
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YHT For This Useful Post:
Old 14th October 2021, 18:58   #17
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home
 
VVC-Geeza's Avatar
 
2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Derby.
Posts: 8,077
Thanks: 1,750
Thanked 918 Times in 659 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Would that force the initial selling price up?
Under normal circumstances it would not raise the initial valuation,but these are not normal times.If the estate agents had believed they could get away with bunging an extra 50K on the price they would have done it.I believe they were as surprised as the rest of us at the demand created by people not being able to move during the lockdowns.I certainly didn't hear about people outbidding each other and paying way above the asking price pre covid.
Every cloud and all that if you are an estate agent
__________________

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 19:19   #18
grivas
I really should get out more.......
 
grivas's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 2,100
Thanks: 101
Thanked 434 Times in 322 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Landowner Acreage owned in England Acreage woodland
Forestry Commission 489,814 414,293
National Trust 474,641 84,433
MOD 397,098 60,311
Crown Estate 264,233 (landward acreage only) 40,558
So that says it all then, not much has changed since the Norman invasion, no wonder people have nowhere to live, afterall the Crown need more than a quarter of a million acres of land in order to do their weekend deer hunting.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 19:30   #19
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home
 
VVC-Geeza's Avatar
 
2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Derby.
Posts: 8,077
Thanks: 1,750
Thanked 918 Times in 659 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
My 2 penny worth (probably not worth that!). "Afordable" houses at the planning permission stage usually reduce in numbers when paper comes to bricks and mortar. After the first folk have bought an Affordable house it goes on the open market at "un-affordable". There is regularly a bit in Private Eye about property in the UK being bought by those who do not live in the UK through tax havens and avoid stamp duty or whatever. We are host to a large number of immigrants for whatever reason they come here; financial, persecution in their home country etc but the UK is a densely populated over crowded island and I dont think more folk are really needed. There have been complaints about losing cheap labour with BREXIT but cheap labour/low wages removes the incentive to automate etc. Before Covid a lot of firms "needed" people to work in offices; may now work from home. This could develop into a long ramble but think the gist is clear. Those who complain there are not enough folk to pick asparagus etc should get out there and do some picking or get busy with a harvester design. A long toem ago a combine harvester had a driver, 2 men on the back bagging the wheat/barley or whatever. The sacks were then dumped on the ground and a tractor with driver, two on the trailer and two on the ground collect the bags. Now its just a combine driver who discharges the grain into a trailer.
What an excellent post.
__________________

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 19:31   #20
grivas
I really should get out more.......
 
grivas's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 2,100
Thanks: 101
Thanked 434 Times in 322 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
when it comes to paying over the odds, perhaps buyers consider the property is worth that amount because of x, y or z and also perhaps take the view that paying over the odds now wont matter in 20 years time.

Not sure what point the OP is trying to make.
As for the stamp duty holiday, some buyers may not have saved money as the price of the house went up a bit as the seller may have thought " if they are saving X on stamp duty I want some of that" and in my case ended up in a bidding war. We paid I think £45,000 above asking and perhaps £20,000 above value but in 20 years will it matter and we have been able to start living again. We were in a small rented property and had to empty stuff out of the garage every time we wanted anything.

As for first time buyers, some earn so little it will always be hard if not impossible to buy, others spend what they earn so save little or nothing, not everyone has the bank of mum and dad to give or loan them large amounts of money.

Decisions made 20 years ago and I'm think about what they did with their money, could be reaping rewards today or be coming back to haunt people.

Council houses should never have been sold. You would be surprised how much green land we have,when you fly over the country you realise just how much there is.

Years ago children got married and got their own place, now they leave home and get their own place so now 2 properties are required.


macafee2
The point the OP is trying to make, and making in point of fact is that the housing market is artificially propping up a broken economy, spiralling into chaos, and orchestrated by an incompetent government, headed by an unelected PM, who has mislead the country into the disaster that is Brexit. Utter maddness, meanwhile our younger generation are wasting their lives chacing a shadow, never likely to be able to afford to buy a home, this is how societies dissolve and dissappear, that is the point, just wondering if anyone else had a differing opinion, that is it.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2020, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd