Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th June 2012, 10:55   #1
Charles
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connossieur SE

Default Coolant leak

My car has sprouted a coolant leak, resulting in a slow drip from the back corner of the oil sump. Presumably this means that the actual leak is somewhere above the sump. Is this likely to be the water pump?

The leak must have started during a 50-mile journey I did yesterday. I didn't notice anything wrong until steam started billowing from the engine bay; the temperature gauge was still showing normal operating temperature and the overheating warning message did not come on! There had been an intermittent whine from the engine bay for some time but I put this down to the air conditioning unit, as the whining stopped when I switched the AC off.

The engine is a 2.0 V6 if that helps.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 11:05   #2
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

Im not sure if this helps as I have a 1.8 Turbo. I could see my leak at the sump, but the leak was up higher at the inlet manifold. I just couldnt see where it was coming from, giving the impression it was futher down.
Old 7th June 2012, 11:05   #3
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Suggest taking a look into the Vee of the engine to ascertain the condition of the thermostat or see a lake of coolant in there. The cover is held on by 2x8mm bolts. When the stat leaks the coolant eventually will end up down by the oil filter area.
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 11:42   #4
Charles
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connossieur SE

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't see any signs of damp under the engine cover. The only thing I saw which I didn't like was one of the rubber tubes (breather pipes?) which comes from the top of the oil sump and runs over the top of the engine, meeting two other pipes at a yellow T joint: one of these pipes is a very loose fit. I don't see how this can be the cause of my problem, but is it something else I should be concerned about?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote