Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th September 2012, 22:47   #11
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I replaced my battery in the diesel in 2007 but it was a 65a/h one and only lasted about two years.
This was replaced with a 75 a/h in Jan 2010 and failed suddenly last week. As it had a three year warranty it was replaced FOC with no problem. It cost me £42 back in 2010 and I reckon it was worth it as I now have another spanking new one. Obviously the warranty will only be covered as per the original purchase so I have about six months left but the battery being new will last a lot longer than that.

Even if I had a 1.8 I would still recommend fitting a higher ampere hour battery as there are so many electrics to work on our cars today.

JYJ
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 06:57   #12
pevil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Manual, Club

Sorry guys to keep you in suspense, been busy, OK I've charged the battery up for now, seems to be working fine at the moment but I think I'm going to get a 75amp before winter sets in, I don't do big mileage to charge it up and I don't want it letting me down, will look at Eurocarparts, cheers.
Mods; Plenum checked-cleared and modded (spy-hole) - Leather handbrake grip fitted - Walnut gear knob fitted - C panel badges fitted - Bonnet catches greased - Stainless bolts fitted to front bumper - Digital temp gauge fitted.
pevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 10:27   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevil View Post
... I think I'm going to get a 75amp before winter sets in, I don't do big mileage to charge it up and I don't want it letting me down ...
Peter,

You'll be wasting your money. If you're not replacing the charge consumed by the starter motor (and other heavy current consumers particularly in the winter) then it doesn't matter what size battery you have; eventually it will become discharged and "let you down". A 75Ah battery will last longer than a 55Ah battery before it goes flat.

If you do very short journeys the only answer is to trickle charge it using an inexpensive external charger. That way you won't be "letting the battery down"!

Simon.
Old 5th October 2012, 09:13   #14
pevil
Gets stuck in

Update; Been away for a month, when I got back and tried to unlock the car, nothing, battery was as flat as the proverbial pancake, absolutely nothing, I jump started it and ran it for 3/4 of an hour and that put enough charge in for it to start up the next day and get me home, I'll put it on charge today but I can't understand why it went flat, how much current is used when the cars switched off? would have expected the battery to hold it's charge longer than this, am going to get it tested once charged up but it's looking like a new one!
Mods; Plenum checked-cleared and modded (spy-hole) - Leather handbrake grip fitted - Walnut gear knob fitted - C panel badges fitted - Bonnet catches greased - Stainless bolts fitted to front bumper - Digital temp gauge fitted.
Old 5th October 2012, 09:44   #15
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Update; Been away for a month, when I got back and tried to unlock the car, nothing, battery was as flat as the proverbial pancake, absolutely nothing, I jump started it and ran it for 3/4 of an hour and that put enough charge in for it to start up the next day and get me home, I'll put it on charge today but I can't understand why it went flat, how much current is used when the cars switched off? would have expected the battery to hold it's charge longer than this, am going to get it tested once charged up but it's looking like a new one!
A battery shouldn't go that flat in that length of time!

It should lose about 10% of it's charge a month, if not used!

So you either have an additional drain on the car, or the battery has come to the end of it's life, how old is it?
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 10:15   #16
kfieldin
Banned

After 4-6 weeks none of the batteries I have tried will start my car - just clicks and flashing lights. I have found that the battery isn't flat just below 12.5 or 6 V = no starty....

So two and a half years ago I bought a Optima Yellow Top battery - not cheap.. Never had a problem since - Car left standing from Nov 2010 to April 2011 - started first time. They are now in all my cars.
kfieldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 10:24   #17
pevil
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post

It should lose about 10% of it's charge a month, if not used!

So you either have an additional drain on the car, or the battery has come to the end of it's life, how old is it?
According to the paperwork I have the previous owner had a replacement in 2006 and then that replaced in 2009, I think maybe under warranty as it was from the same place, so three and a bit years. thanks.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:01   #18
Charles
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connossieur SE

I've just fitted a new Alphaline 72Ah battery to my 2.0 petrol 75. Ordered it from www.batterymegastore.co.uk - cost £61.95 and it arrived the day after I ordered it. Very pleased with it so far but I've only had it a week.

One tip I picked up from The Daily Telegraph's Honest John: always switch the radio off before switching off the ignition, otherwise it still draws a small current even though it appears to be off. (Don't ask me why!)
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 11:29   #19
cargocar
Gets stuck in

rover 75 tourer auto 2001

for a rule of thumb, a larger battery than normal is better for an older car thats more likely to have starting problems, work carried out on the electrics, standing for a couple of weeks whist being repaired etc.
cargocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 12:27   #20
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... I can't understand why it went flat, how much current is used when the cars switched off?
Three possible reasons:

1. It wasn't anywhere near fully charged when you left the car for a month. Going by your previous evidence, that's a likely explanation.

2. The battery is indeed unable to hold a charge. After only three years that would suggest that it's been damaged by allowing it to become discharged several times. Batteries need to be kept in a fully charged state for long life.

3. You have a faulty piece of equipment which is draining it. Is your sat. nav. computer shutting down properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
It can! It depends how much charge was in it in the first place and what the current drain is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
One tip I picked up from The Daily Telegraph's Honest John: always switch the radio off before switching off the ignition, otherwise it still draws a small current even though it appears to be off. (Don't ask me why!)
Radios will always draw a small current even when 'switched off' to retain the station memories (by keeping a small specific battery within the radio charged). I think Honest John is getting a bit confused here. I can't see how switching it off before the ignition will make any difference.

Simon.