Closed Thread

Old 8th July 2017, 07:56   #51
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
You may want to hold out a bit longer yet Ian, you will be doing in the 60 range through the winter months, cold weather has an impact on these batteries, even with using the built in heaters.

Its certainly a good idea to rent/lease the battery from the manufacture, rather than own one outright. Technology brings along new schemes and upgrades which are set to make the customer dig deeper into their pockets.

Even when diesel and petrol motors become unavailable, the motorist will still be paying extortionate amounts of money to run and maintain their EV.

The beauty of these cars is I will be able to program the car to heat the cabin prior to me using it whilst it's plugged in & recirculate the warm air, the heat pump on the post April 2013 cars are much better & use less power to run than the pre April 2013 cars, Again I don't use my car everyday & it will not effet my personal driving habits.

If I can get some cheaper classic car insurance I may keep the Rover, I'm paying £695 for this car opposed to a quote I got for a Leaf Acenta model of £234.

I've read that the power drains in extreme climates (California, Arizona) are a problem for some and since 2015 models they have an even better battery chemistry than the upgraded April 2013 batteries, Lizard battery packs I think they're called.

Nah I'm not going into that treadmill lease malarkey, I've been saving a pot of dosh sporadicly for a BEV car for over two years now, I'm not quite there yet but I can wait another 6 months or so for the best deal when more Gen 1's come on the market. It'll be pound notes.

You see quite a few leafs with the 'Flex' battery lease sitting on dealers lots, they have a hard time selling those, those flex payments are anywhere between £70 & £ 105/month depending on mileage agreements. I'll take my chances with dosh like I've always done.

It's not much different than taking a chance buying one of our cars, i.e. head gaskets, timing belts etc.

Edit: I forgot to add that the Leaf Acenta & Tekna models have heated steering wheels & heated seats which most people have said are very good & saves on the battery power.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto

Last edited by Lancpudn; 8th July 2017 at 08:39..
Old 8th July 2017, 08:41   #52
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

I'd not trust super caps. The instantaneous current can be many Kilo Amps and safety has to be paramount. They also are far from reliable. Have you seen the experiments with hundreds of PP3 batteries connected in series? Scary stuff to watch.
Old 8th July 2017, 10:47   #53
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintee View Post
Why?

The sun?

It really isn't.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I think you are being overly harsh here Mintee

Why would countries go their own way? - because individual countries within any trading block have specific and individual needs.

I am a great believer in renewable energy - I have Solar Panels and benefit hugely from the resulting lower grid consumption as well as the very generous FIT I secured a few years ago - BUT! Solar, Wind etc is spasmodic and seasonal. Until battery technology improves significantly - there will be a need for reserve capacity. Both here and in Australia this is being achieved by huge diesel generators being set in strategic places. Hardly a glowing testiment for renewables as the primary energy generator

Hydrogen fuel cells in contrast would overcome a lot of the current drawbacks.
Old 8th July 2017, 11:17   #54
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Back up generators have always been around, regardless of the type of energy being used to create electricity for the grid.

Gridwatch is a good one to look at the supply mix. It covers time of year and day.
http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 8th July 2017, 12:19   #55
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_NI View Post
Give it 5 years, the European standard will fall by the wayside, each country will set its own limits and so on.

Bottom line, petrol and diesel will be about for the next 50 years.

Where the hell are you going to get a power supply in the middle of Africa lol.

Hydrogen is 100% the future.
A long retired friend of mine ran an hybrid and a diesel (his and hers). He found the hybrid fine for the shorter runs, very economical, but used the diesel for longer runs or where the extra carrying capacity was needed. He recently traded both in for a modern petrol.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Old 8th July 2017, 12:31   #56
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
I am a great believer in renewable energy - I have Solar Panels and benefit hugely from the resulting lower grid consumption as well as the very generous FIT I secured a few years ago - BUT! Solar, Wind etc is spasmodic and seasonal.
Me too, if only it worked, if only the sums were valid. The sums only work because it is so heavily subsidised by everyone via their bills. No account is taken of the true costs of solar, the working life, the cost of disposal and replacement.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Old 8th July 2017, 12:56   #57
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

My panels are warranted for 20 years, so working life isn't really much of an issue. I may end up having to replace the inverter after 8-10 years, or it may also last 20+ - however that's a few hundred over the lifetime of the array, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

What are the costs of building Hinkley Point C?

The sporadic nature of solar generation can and will be easily balanced with battery storage, whether the battery is permanently wall-mounted or under the bonnet of an EV. From late February/early March until late October, our house is in surplus virtually every day. With the price of panels already dropping steadily year on year - and batteries set to do the same - the way we generate and store energy is set to change radically.
A Nigerian mother of three
Old 8th July 2017, 13:19   #58
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Why would countries go their own way? - because individual countries within any trading block have specific and individual needs.
Motor manufacturers are not likely to bend to individual countries demands. Leastwise, if they are made to, the costs will be passed on to the consumers.

Quote:
I am a great believer in renewable energy - I have Solar Panels and benefit hugely from the resulting lower grid consumption as well as the very generous FIT I secured a few years ago - BUT! Solar, Wind etc is spasmodic and seasonal. Until battery technology improves significantly - there will be a need for reserve capacity. Both here and in Australia this is being achieved by huge diesel generators being set in strategic places. Hardly a glowing testiment for renewables as the primary energy generator.
You asked about Africa. They don't have a great deal of 'seasonal variation' nor do they care about FIT benefits. I do wonder if you have been paying any attention to battery development, even in the past few days Tesla announced a huge order for South Australia - which will be delivered in 100 days (not the decades a power station takes to build) to smooth out peaks and troughs in demand that is causing blackouts currently.

Quote:
Hydrogen fuel cells in contrast would overcome a lot of the current drawbacks.
How do you produce hydrogen?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 8th July 2017, 13:28   #59
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Electric is obviously the future and I welcome it! My next car will be electric as I've already put down a deposit on a Jaguar I-Pace and as long as they pull their fingers out it should be on my drive this time next year.
In practical terms the convenience of having it fully charged and ready to go every morning outweighs the occasional long coffee breaks I'll have to take on a long journey. The idea of never having to deal with smelly diesel again is very attractive!

My current car is a hybrid and it's so smooth and quiet when it's on electric, love it! The biggest issue is that when going through towns etc people will just step out in front of you because they can't hear you coming and don't bother to actually use their eyes!

Anyway as a petrol head I'm all in favor of moving to electric as it means our oil reserves will be saved for those of us still running classics!
Old 8th July 2017, 15:32   #60
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
Electric is obviously the future and I welcome it! My next car will be electric as I've already put down a deposit on a Jaguar I-Pace and as long as they pull their fingers out it should be on my drive this time next year.
In practical terms the convenience of having it fully charged and ready to go every morning outweighs the occasional long coffee breaks I'll have to take on a long journey. The idea of never having to deal with smelly diesel again is very attractive!

My current car is a hybrid and it's so smooth and quiet when it's on electric, love it! The biggest issue is that when going through towns etc people will just step out in front of you because they can't hear you coming and don't bother to actually use their eyes!

Anyway as a petrol head I'm all in favor of moving to electric as it means our oil reserves will be saved for those of us still running classics!

Nice one , That Jaguar iPace looks like a real winner, I've been reading some of the 'Teslarati' forums over the pond and quite a few will jump ship if the Jaguar production is ahead of the Tesla waiting list.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Closed Thread