Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10th August 2017, 14:09   #251
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintee View Post
Do you know how many kW are being burned 'on a daily basis' to refine oil now?

Do you know that at night, when people typically are not using their cars, there is excess generation capacity that currently costs money to shut down?

It will happen and sooner than you imagine because 'it is' (whatever that is) is not 'pie in the sky' - you can drive electric vehicles now. It's not 'dreamed up', there is a problem that needs to be resolved - health issues from exhaust pollution in our towns and cities. As has been asked, what do you propose as an alternative?
Oil refining will still be needed post diesel/petrol. Yes there is surplus E capacity on a night, but not the massive amounts of surplus which would be needed to charge even a drop in the ocean of the EV. It is just a wild idea dreamed up by the politicos, without any thought being given to where all that recharging power might eventually come from.

Just like the silly unpractical ideas of solar and wind power and they really are silly if you do the sums, all of the sums.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Old 10th August 2017, 14:19   #252
Blackrose
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

From time to time. hmmm.

The last time the UK exported more electricity than it imported was the winter of 2009/10 - since then it has consistently been a net importer of power through giant sub-sea cables to France and the Netherlands.

It would seem most of the time now.

If we are going to rely on the French to charge our cars then we better come up with an alternative pretty quick

In 20 years time when there is nothing else but EV's how much do you think the energy companies will be charging us. Just glad I won't be paying the greedy sods.

Blackrose
Old 10th August 2017, 14:30   #253
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
It cannot happen, it logically cannot happen - just imagine the sheer number of Kw being burned on a daily basis by all of the vehicles, being demanded from the National Grid. All the Greenies would have a fit, when they realise how many extra power stations would be needed. Except for very limited use, EV's en mass are simply not going to happen. It is pie in the sky, dreamed up by politicos who simply don't understand the implications, the same ones who encouraged diesel purchase.
Around 100 years ago I bet the same conversations were taking place about the mass adaption of cars to replace horses.......funny how times have changed
Old 10th August 2017, 14:43   #254
Blackrose
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

It will happen we just don't want it forced upon us. As the price of EV's come down and it becomes cheaper to run one than a petrol or diesel car people will buy them. But let us have a bit of healthy (or unhealthy some would say) competition on the way. let the markets dictate what we buy and stop banning stuff and telling us what we should do. It's a bit like the vaping / smoking arguments. Once your mate down the pub has an EV that does 0-60 in 8secs and has a range of 200 miles and it only cost him £10,000 and it has an MG badge on the grille you doubters will be first in line for one. Until then just let us enjoy what we have without all the threats.

Blackrose
Old 10th August 2017, 14:55   #255
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Although we do import energy from abroad from time to time, you heard wrong.

We have no Russian/Chinese nuclear power stations.
China to build nuclear reactor in Essex after Hinkley deal approved

Chinese state nuclear firm CGN will fund one-third of Hinkley, which is led by French state energy giant EDF, in return for the chance to build its own design of reactor at Bradwell with EDF's support.

sourcre
Old 10th August 2017, 15:18   #256
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
Around 100 years ago I bet the same conversations were taking place about the mass adaption of cars to replace horses.......funny how times have changed
... and look what it has done to the planet, I wonder how many of those sceptics got it right back then?

I'm not against the EV, I'm intrigued by the whole idea. Its certainly interesting to discuss all possible future energy scenarios that we feel may have some importance to our lives.
Old 10th August 2017, 16:21   #257
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
China to build nuclear reactor in Essex after Hinkley deal approved

Chinese state nuclear firm CGN will fund one-third of Hinkley, which is led by French state energy giant EDF, in return for the chance to build its own design of reactor at Bradwell with EDF's support.
Yes. Not Chinese/Russian.

HTH.
Old 10th August 2017, 16:27   #258
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrose View Post
The last time the UK exported more electricity than it imported was the winter of 2009/10 - since then it has consistently been a net importer of power through giant sub-sea cables to France and the Netherlands.

It would seem most of the time now.
What is wrong with that?

Quote:
If we are going to rely on the French to charge our cars then we better come up with an alternative pretty quick
Again, avoiding your casual racism, why is that? We will be charging our cars, mostly, at night when there is spare capacity in the system.

Quote:
In 20 years time when there is nothing else but EV's how much do you think the energy companies will be charging us.
Chances are, if renewables and battery storage continues to develop at the rate it has been for the past couple of decades, and smart grids are developed as it looks as if they could be, a lot less than we are now.

Quote:
Just glad I won't be paying the greedy sods.
Why won't you be paying them?
Old 10th August 2017, 17:16   #259
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Blackrose[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
No, they just quietly took over, because they were so much better and more efficient - they were not forced on the horse riding public. Likewise the tractors on farms were obviously so much better through the 40's and 50's.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 10th August 2017, 17:24   #260
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
What is wrong with that?

Again, avoiding your casual racism, why is that? We will be charging our cars, mostly, at night when there is spare capacity in the system.

Chances are, if renewables and battery storage continues to develop at the rate it has been for the past couple of decades, and smart grids are developed as it looks as if they could be, a lot less than we are now.
There is spare capacity at night at the moment, but the spare capacity is like a drop in the ocean, when it comes to the amount of capacity which would be needed to cope with this latest bought of silliness.

Renewables are not set to become that much better than they are at present, nor are batteries..

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 10th August 2017 at 17:48..
Closed Thread