Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd September 2017, 18:15   #11
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Has anyone here thought about taking advantage of the Governments £4,500 grant to help buy either a fully electric vehicle or a Hybrid? Its meant to end March 2018, unless I have my information incorrect.

The dealer will include the value of the grant in the vehicle’s price, you can also get £2,500 off a Hybrid. You can buy a brand new Renault Zoe for around £10,500, something we were going to do a few months ago.

Its tax payers money, so we are all funding the cause.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 19:21   #12
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Anyone with just a modicum of savvy will understand that a PHEV that is used for longer runs will see it has higher emissions. Extra weight firstly and of course more emissions during manufacturing. It's really a no brainer.
If you are set on alternative fuel and properly researched it..... and do a fairly low mileage each day then "possibly" go for an EV, I'll say again do the sums, depreciation, running costs and of course the initial price first. For the poor amongst us..... forget it!
Old 22nd September 2017, 19:35   #13
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Has anyone here thought about taking advantage of the Governments £4,500 grant to help buy either a fully electric vehicle or a Hybrid? Its meant to end March 2018, unless I have my information incorrect.

The dealer will include the value of the grant in the vehicle’s price, you can also get £2,500 off a Hybrid. You can buy a brand new Renault Zoe for around £10,500, something we were going to do a few months ago.

Its tax payers money, so we are all funding the cause.
A clever little car but looking at the prices for a supermini sized car I cannot see them selling many without a govt grant. Also the lesser prices don't factor in hire of the battery. To own a battery costs appreciably more. I would suggest wait until these flood the lease car market as did the Nissan Leaf a while back.
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 21:36   #14
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Well mines a hybrid AND a diesel, does that mean it's twice as bad?
Old 22nd September 2017, 22:27   #15
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Has anyone here thought about taking advantage of the Governments £4,500 grant to help buy either a fully electric vehicle or a Hybrid?
I can honestly say no, I haven't.

If they want me to replace my car with a more "efficient" one, then they are going to have to buy it for me, because I refuse to get into thousands of pounds worth of debt just because they think I should.
Old 23rd September 2017, 07:31   #16
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Having actually read the article - I don't think it is "tosh" - it has been produced by TMC - The Miles Consultancy - who have a good reputation for keeping fleet costs under control by analysing what is actually going on using collected company fleet data to do so.

Therefore - compared to the total nonsense vehicle manufacturers cite and the politically motivated "spin" we get from Government - is it not sensible to look at what these guys have found from analysing REAL data?

I note how those "on a mission" so quickly jump in to dismiss this because it contradicts the wordwooze spin we get fed and which they lap up so greedily.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 08:36   #17
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

I also see that no reference is made to the extra pollution produced during charging from the power stations. With all the PHEV vehicles sold this must now be taken into account as well.
Old 23rd September 2017, 08:36   #18
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

Just read the article snd it made sensible reading for fleets that do the miles.

We had a prius in our fleet when they first came out snd it was awful for the longer runs.The diesel cars were always more cost effective. Now saying that it was an early example and technology has changed but the proof was there. Our transport manager soon changed it that the prius was used for local trips rather than long trips.

I do think for town driving snd heavy urban areas the battery is the way to go but for distance the ICE still had it.

TBH for me Hydrogen technology is the way ahead. Water into steam means no emissions but you do have a potential bomb under your bonnet at the moment but again technology is moving v fast on this. The problem with this technology is we are using a comodity (water) and the governments would get f all in money so it will be a non starter.

I will probably go some sorr of Hybrid in the future but thats only because the industry is moving that way and not because its better for the earth.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Aircraft and ships. They all burn diesel derivatives and they are not being looked at and their emmisions are huge.

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 08:55   #19
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc3725 View Post
Just read the article snd it made sensible reading for fleets that do the miles.

We had a prius in our fleet when they first came out snd it was awful for the longer runs.The diesel cars were always more cost effective. Now saying that it was an early example and technology has changed but the proof was there. Our transport manager soon changed it that the prius was used for local trips rather than long trips.

I do think for town driving snd heavy urban areas the battery is the way to go but for distance the ICE still had it.

TBH for me Hydrogen technology is the way ahead. Water into steam means no emissions but you do have a potential bomb under your bonnet at the moment but again technology is moving v fast on this. The problem with this technology is we are using a comodity (water) and the governments would get f all in money so it will be a non starter.

I will probably go some sorr of Hybrid in the future but thats only because the industry is moving that way and not because its better for the earth.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Aircraft and ships. They all burn diesel derivatives and they are not being looked at and their emmisions are huge.
Totally agree. Well said that man!!!
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 08:57   #20
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc3725 View Post
That's not strictly true.

Trouble is who 'rules the waves'? (It isn't Britain, kippers). The IMO have standards that shipping have to reach by 2020 though.

Aircraft are different in that countries have air quality standards to meet and they know that aeroplanes contribute to the pollution. The change in regulations that allow twin engined jets to cross the Atlantic is one that is reducing pollution (as well as reducing costs, which is important to the airline industry!). New planes are generally lighter and burn far less fuel than their predecessors.
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote