Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd September 2017, 19:45   #11
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I dont care what engine it has, just as long as its red, or blue with beige/cream interior.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 22:57   #12
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

The 160 will obviously give the best performance however if it's not performance you're after it's easier to find a good 135 for sensible money. Beware of the dreaded rust on the TF's, sadly they are very prone to it and if it gets into the sills they very quickly become irreparable. I recently sold my 160 for that very reason, lovely car, drove beautifully and only had 52k on the clock but sadly was suffering from terminal rust and would have cost a lot more to repair then it was worth.
Also bear in mind they can and do suffer HGF's although anyone on here that's owned a 1.8 will know that risk I've had 3 F/TF's, 1 from only a couple of years old and they all suffer from a head gasket despite being driven very easily from cold etc. They also suffer from weak gear selector linkages which left me on the side of the road several times.
Old 24th September 2017, 08:49   #13
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

Thank you all for your thoughts. It would seem you have all enjoyed owning an f/tf. If bought the car would be driven frequently for short journeys. I'm familiar with "firm" rides as driving SWMBO's Boxster is a bit like an iron bedstead (I'm not keen on the first two gears, very close). Also my 75 v8 is a much harder ride than my v6, on identical wheels and tyres. I think my main concern is getting in and out. I'm 6 ft and moderately fit for my vintage however my back and joints protest a tad when put in stressful situations.
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 15:19   #14
gibbo103
Regular poster

MG ZTT

Default Mg tf

I have a 1.8 135 and it's great fun to drive. If you are worried about hard suspension, the last few hundred cars built by rover in 2005 had soft ride suspension which has 30% softer shock absorbers without losing any of the good handling. This was carried over to the Chinese built cars from 2008. I have one of these cars and have had great fun with it over the past few years.
gibbo103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 17:36   #15
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Fun cars to drive whatever size engine you go for , try and get one with a good service history and cambelt and water pump change, also look at the coolant pipes under the car , stainless steel ones are a very good upgrade . This time of year is good time to buy one as a lot of people sell before the winter sets in .
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 01:40   #16
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts. It would seem you have all enjoyed owning an f/tf. If bought the car would be driven frequently for short journeys. I'm familiar with "firm" rides as driving SWMBO's Boxster is a bit like an iron bedstead (I'm not keen on the first two gears, very close). Also my 75 v8 is a much harder ride than my v6, on identical wheels and tyres. I think my main concern is getting in and out. I'm 6 ft and moderately fit for my vintage however my back and joints protest a tad when put in stressful situations.
I've driven a Boxster....the TF is much harder riding! As for your size, I'd also 6ft and did fit in the TF, just! I'd recommend test driving a couple before taking the plunge.
Old 25th September 2017, 19:25   #17
Dart2050
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connie SE CDTI Tourer, MGF and Triumph Bonneville America

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
Don't worry about your height. I'm 6'2" aged 59 and have no trouble getting in and out, the doors are quite long. With helmet on I only just fit without touching the roof, but in normal driving conditions, no trouble whatsoever.
Dart2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 22:51   #18
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

I'm 6ft 2 and 57 and fit quite well in a TF. In fact the driving position is not overly sporty. Dare I mention the MX5 on this forum, i have had 2, a more sporty position from what i remember (i was younger), great fun and a lot easier to drive on the limit than a TF and much better ride to boot, less power all out but just as rewarding to drive.
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2017, 21:16   #19
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

I have a 2004 TF 135 and would agree with the previous comments.

Comfortable and refined the ride is not, but it's a hoot to drive. The 135 is the most common variant and rarely feels like it's lacking power. In fact, the biggest advantage of the 160 isn't the extra oomph but the uprated AP 4-pot front brakes. Many 135s had these fitted too (usually special editions) along with the pretty 16" 11-spoke alloys, and are worth seeking out as the standard setup is pretty weak. Tyre choice is important on 15" alloys, absolutely critical on 16"s.

The interior, like the outside, still looks modern after all these years and while isn't particularly well made or roomy, is a pleasant place to be. I'm 6'3" and just about fit in with reasonable comfort (wearing thin shoes helps!); if you're under 6ft you'll have little problem getting in and out and getting comfy. Seat lowering kits are cheap and fairly easy to fit, and offer an extra inch of headroom.

TFs are plentiful and particularly cheap at the moment as we fall out of season. They'll never be cheaper and there are bargains to be had providing you're not fussy about colour (the most common are silver and grey...). As mentioned, rust is a major issue on subframes and bodies, an issue not helped with MGR's progressive cheapening and stinginess with the underseal and paint (many feel the MGF was better built).
LeRich is offline   Reply With Quote