Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd January 2018, 20:46   #11
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Although maybe a bit old now is the HTC Desire 530, which is my old phone, again very easy to use, and decent size screen.
Funny that you should mention HTC as I looked at both the M7 and M8 earlier this evening on ebay. I was mainly interested in them because the specs listed for them not only included 4G compatibility but also included the 3 bands I mentioned above. However in the case of the M7 my trust and confidence in the listing dropped when I noticed contradiction and ambiguity as to 4G compatibility as I scrolled down it. The reference to 4G in the upper part of the listing is noticeably absent from the specs at the bottom. Click

Noticed this sort of contradiction in quite a few phone listings today on ebay. It is time consuming trying to double check elsewhere and it really does knock your confidence in being able to make a suitable purchase. Hence my request for help here.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 22:42   #12
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
I'm on my second Elephone, does everything the big names do for a fraction of the price
I'm a big fan of Chinese phones, I've had an Elephone, was very happy with it.
The bigger names are getting right up with the likes of Samsung in terms of quality and style. At the top end, the Chinese are making the fastest, most powerful phones you can buy, and lower down, there are models that compare in terms of power and features with a £400 Samsung, but cost £150.
Old 22nd January 2018, 22:50   #13
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Funny that you should mention HTC as I looked at both the M7 and M8 earlier this evening on ebay. I was mainly interested in them because the specs listed for them not only included 4G compatibility but also included the 3 bands I mentioned above. However in the case of the M7 my trust and confidence in the listing dropped when I noticed contradiction and ambiguity as to 4G compatibility as I scrolled down it. The reference to 4G in the upper part of the listing is noticeably absent from the specs at the bottom. Click

Noticed this sort of contradiction in quite a few phone listings today on ebay. It is time consuming trying to double check elsewhere and it really does knock your confidence in being able to make a suitable purchase. Hence my request for help here.
EBay sellers are terrible for getting specs wrong on phones, either for misdirection or genuine error. If you find a phone you like the look of, do a google search for the model. A site like tech advisor or gsmarena should give the full specs of any phone worth buying
Old 23rd January 2018, 00:12   #14
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

I would look at buying a phone from amazon. Carphone Warehouse also do some good deals on phones outright. I bought my mum a Moto G phone less then two years ago and it’s a pretty good phone and not pricey either.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 06:11   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The problem with buying an HTC M7, M8 or similar high-end phone now is that on such phones the batteries are built in and close to the end of their useful life. The batteries really need to be replaced with a high-quality unit by a professional. This will cost nearly as much as a Moto E.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 06:42   #16
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Lost my HT phone on holiday it had a big screen which was handy, replaced it with a Samsung J3 from virgin £12 a month and £1 for the package also, got a free tablet with it..seems to be behaving itself well. Family all have iphones always fitting new screens and ridiculous price new for something that costs under $10 to produce..crazy.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:01   #17
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I've had one of the Chinese manufacturers phones made by XGody over 12 months now, it's been faultless, check them out on EBay.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:32   #18
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Buy a pay as you go phone from Carphone Warehouse on any network, throw the SIM away that it comes with and just put your Plusnet SIM in it. Despite what some Carphone Warehouse staff will tell you all of their phones come SIM unlocked so you can just swap it without having to unlock.
Old 23rd January 2018, 09:14   #19
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundsman Willie View Post
I'm a big fan of Chinese phones, I've had an Elephone, was very happy with it.
The bigger names are getting right up with the likes of Samsung in terms of quality and style. At the top end, the Chinese are making the fastest, most powerful phones you can buy, and lower down, there are models that compare in terms of power and features with a £400 Samsung, but cost £150.
I've had a K6000 Pro Chinese phone for nearly 2 years now; cost me £130, I've not had a moments trouble with it and it's been all round brilliant. 5.5" screen which makes it a great sat nav in the car and it's as quick as any of my daughters expensive new phones - the only 'bad' thing about it is that the camera is poor in low light but having said that I've actually used it for all the product shots on my website and it's been really good for that.
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 09:16   #20
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Motorola Moto G and E ranges are amongst the best value mobiles on the market. They are hard to beat for quality and features at their respective prices.
Agree. BUT as you're a newbie why not go for Pay as you go? Don't tie yourself up to a contract. We're with 3 which is dirt cheap + you can use What's App to ring anywhere from home and it's FREE.