Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th July 2021, 20:17   #21
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
So evidence that it was previously opened up and incorrectly refitted. Did you find an orange clip in place?

TC
No orange clip but I did try to open up the filter housing and the thing would not budge so I just left it be for now. I will get round to fitting a new filter but didn't see the point of forcing it open.

Shaun

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk
FantasticMrFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2021, 20:20   #22
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
There is another possibility to consider. Not on my ZTs, but on aged Montegos, when as I always do, habitually fill to the brim, if there is corrosion on the filler tube, if bad enough to create holes, brim fill ups will seep out that way. Even a cup full of fuel goes a very long way and will cover a large area.

The suggested five litres fill would be a small lake on the floor underneath it. That damp patch looks less than a cupful which will cover a large area considering a small quantity goes a very long way.

Have not read all replies only a few early ones. Hope its sorted by now.

EDIT TO ADD :~

Just read the rest of thread. Have fitted Clips three times now. First time I could not fit it all back together no matter how I tried. so had a close look at the design of that large seal. Then the penny dropped. The seal needs to be removed from the Body of the Filter and fitted around the tank aperture. Then lower the Filter Body. A smear of Fairy liquid also helps. Dead easy doing it that way. No further problems.
Hi John.

It was def coming from the filter away and when I removed the palate the next day it was still saturated.

The picture I posted was the start of the 2nd puddle after about 1 min. It continued for about 15 mins. This is after the first puddle accumulated for a good while at the pump which was like a tap 😭.

I will however check the filler cap path next chance I get just to be safe.

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk
FantasticMrFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2021, 22:03   #23
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

Default Filler necks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
There is another possibility to consider. Not on my ZTs, but on aged Montegos, when as I always do, habitually fill to the brim, if there is corrosion on the filler tube, if bad enough to create holes, brim fill ups will seep out that way.
Years ago had a MG Maestro 2.0i, good car, handled well and had a reasonable turn of speed.
On holiday once in Devon (stayed at a farm house located up the end of a very narrow and long country lane), stopped at a petrol station to fill up and when I removed the filler cap was greeted by a coating of cow manure plastered up the inside of the filler neck and underneathof the filler cap! On closer inspection the (metal) filler neck and rusted through behind the wheel and consequently there was a sizeable hole that had caught the cow muck being flung about by the tyre.
Managed to finish the holiday (with no more than 3/4 of a tank at a time) and get home without issue, but had to fit a new fuel tank, filler neck and filter once home to rectify (there was too much road debris in the tank to clean out satisfactorily).
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote