Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th August 2021, 14:48   #1
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Oil and Coolant Loss

I know this will have been covered many times before but I have a daft question.

Where am I most likely to be losing coolant and oil from. Car seems to get warm very quickly so I'm planning on bleeding the system after flushing it however I don't want to introduce air in by not looking for leaks.

I turned on the car and let it ideal with the heater running and fan went warp factor 4 so I don't know if this is a problem.

As for the oil, I can see it leaving residue under the exhaust manifold but I can't put my finger on where it's coming from.

If anyone knows of a checklist of things to check it would be appreciated as I'm planning on her first 200mile trip in my stewardship.

I did take a look at the water pump and it looks newish and I did find this sticker so I'm hoping it's already been done.

Cheers

Shaun

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk
FantasticMrFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 15:06   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

A common place for water loss on the 1.8 is the inlet manifold gasket. Water weeps into the manifold when the engine is cold then burns off when the engine warms up. Clues to this are a rough idle and steamy exhaust on startup until the engine warms up.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 15:36   #3
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
A common place for water loss on the 1.8 is the inlet manifold gasket. Water weeps into the manifold when the engine is cold then burns off when the engine warms up. Clues to this are a rough idle and steamy exhaust on startup until the engine warms up.
Well it certainly has a rough idle, was planning on cleaning the throttle body but I may take a look at this first. Cheers Steve.

Old 5th August 2021, 15:55   #4
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Does the idle settle when the engine warms up, ie once the coolant has burnt off. Another clue is which ever cylinder the coolant ends up in (normally #4) the spark plug will look as if its been steam cleaned!

If its a permanent rough idle it may be the stepper motor needs adjusting but that can't be done without involving a T4, TOAF might do it, I don't know. The stepper motor controls in idle air control valve, adjusts the idle depending on the load on the engine, lights, aircon etc. I bought a 1.8T a long time ago and it had a rough idle. Took it to Brian for a general once over and he'd never seen the stepper motor so far out of adjustment, reckoned it had never been adjusted from new! There is an adjusting screw (dunno where) but needs to T4 to set it within the correct parameters.

T4 Location Map
Old 5th August 2021, 16:40   #5
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Does the idle settle when the engine warms up, ie once the coolant has burnt off. Another clue is which ever cylinder the coolant ends up in (normally #4) the spark plug will look as if its been steam cleaned!

If its a permanent rough idle it may be the stepper motor needs adjusting but that can't be done without involving a T4, TOAF might do it, I don't know. The stepper motor controls in idle air control valve, adjusts the idle depending on the load on the engine, lights, aircon etc. I bought a 1.8T a long time ago and it had a rough idle. Took it to Brian for a general once over and he'd never seen the stepper motor so far out of adjustment, reckoned it had never been adjusted from new! There is an adjusting screw (dunno where) but needs to T4 to set it within the correct parameters.
It eases off a bit but never fully settles. I'm going to take the rocker cover and head off over the weekend so I'll take a look at the plugs too. Need to track down a slight slip/misfire under hard acceleration too so may be the time to do that. Its never boring with our cars is it.

Old 5th August 2021, 16:50   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Re the misfire under acceleration, what gap are your plugs set to? 1.8s run better with a smaller gap than recommended, 0.7mm seems to be best.

T4 Location Map
Old 5th August 2021, 17:03   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:

The adjuster screw is covered by a plastic type cover, needs to be pulled off
You can always try the throttle pressing reset, 5 times with the ignition off.
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 17:18   #8
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Re the misfire under acceleration, what gap are your plugs set to? 1.8s run better with a smaller gap than recommended, 0.7mm seems to be best.
Couldn't tell you, only had the car since earlier this year and it wasn't due a service until next month meaning I haven't inspected them as of yet.

Cheers

Old 5th August 2021, 17:19   #9
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
The adjuster screw is covered by a plastic type cover, needs to be pulled off

You can always try the throttle pressing reset, 5 times with the ignition off.
Throttle pressing reset? I'm intrigued

Old 5th August 2021, 17:28   #10
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Inlet manifold leaks easily on the 1.8T.
That engine is very sensitive to spark plugs.

I would renew both as a first step, before taking the head off.