Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th July 2021, 19:15   #1
X10Rich
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 190

Default T4 Lead diagrams

Hi,

Im in the very long process of putting together a T4 system. I have RDS software, DST0003 data disk, and laptop, and indeed the Interface unit DTC4002A. However , im struggling for the leads, indeed, struggling with the cost of them new.

Thanks to the great help on this forum, and the histroic posts, I think its viable to make some up myself. I have found some details on some of the adapters, however, ideally it could be great to have the pin-in/outs for all the adapters and cables. I don't currently have access to original cables to copy unfortunatly.

Whilst eventually, if like to make up as many cables as I can, of the different types, to start with I could do with the diagrams for:-

DTC0065A (red adapter)
DTC4008B (VCSI Extension cable ) Is this just a pin to pin extension?

I think this is all I need to be able to talk to my ZT. The next step will be to talk to my VVC Coupe, just need to work out the connectors for that as well (and wait for a software disc to turn up!)

I have not been able to find any details on the web for these. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Richard

Last edited by X10Rich; 24th July 2021 at 19:31..
X10Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2021, 20:07   #2
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

The connector blocks for the cables are readily available as are the pins to make up your own cables there's a few issues

Firstly there's a spacer from the back of the connector block and the cable gland. These were custom made for the Testbook computers including T4 so are not available.

I made some out of alloy tubing and tapped it to accept the connector and cable gland. It needs them both as an adapter fot the connector and cable gland but also gives enough room for the wires to be connected to the plugs.

Getting some suitable 12 core for the main lead can be difficult unless you've got a friendly supplier as it's usually sold by the compete drum You are correct the Main lead is pin to pin

The various coloured leads are all 4 core which is a little easier to get hold of the only difference between them is that different pin and bridging of pins with various values of resistor is what identifies the lead when it's plugged into the interface.

I don't have the pin outs and wiring diagrams to hand unfortunately for the various leads at present as the computer hard drive failed, I've got them on back up somewhere will have to see if I can find them.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2021, 22:27   #3
X10Rich
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 190

Hi Russ, thank you for that, thats really appreciated. Thats really helpful.

That makes sence about the custom covers on the connectors, but I should be able to make something up.

I did find some cut to length 12 core cable on ebay, but can't seem to find it now! An alternative I was thinking of was to buy 12 different colours of thinwall cable and then use some braded sleaving. Might not be as robust as the original, but hopefully suitable for my needs.

I think the main thing is just knowing how they are wired, I should be able to replicate.
Old 25th July 2021, 05:20   #4
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Here you go....plus a picture of some cables i made for one of my own systems (which will be for sale soon )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DTC0065A.jpg (104.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DTC4007B.jpg (105.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00167-20110424-1534.jpg (134.8 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Phil-T4; 25th July 2021 at 05:27..
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 10:39   #5
X10Rich
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 190

Thank you Phil for that, just what im after. perfectly clear. Hopefully my cable set will look as good as yours!

Interesting that on the DTC4007B, that acually, it looks like only 10 core cable is needed. Ideally shielded.
Old 9th August 2021, 21:11   #6
X10Rich
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 190

Im very grateful for the diagrams so far, and I have managed to find some others on teh forum. I have ordered up all the connectors, pins, wire, etc, and just need to assemble the cables to use with my new DTC4002A

However, im struggling to track down the lead info for the "Blue" DTC0061A cable that I need to talk to some of my other cars. Would anyone be able to provide that for me?

Also, if you had DTC0063A, that would complete my set of J1962 Adapter diagrams..

Thank you

Richard
Old 13th August 2021, 11:06   #7
X10Rich
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 190

Default Many thanks for the diagrams

Hi - just an update, thanks to the diagrams posted by Phil-T4, I have made the following cables

DTC4007B

DTC0065A

They are sort of my own design, using off the shelf components. I changed the adapter cable to put all the resistors in the J1962 end, so ended up using a 6 core cable.

I have tested them with my T4 software (RDS 5.06 with DST0003W), and with my interface unit, im now successfully talking to my ZT

slight issue in that the Cruise ECU some times drops connections once its open, and then fails. But I don't think that's my cable design. leaving it for a bit seems to work again.

Next stage is to track down the the wiring diagram for the MEMS Blue adapter - DTC0061A, so I can get things working with my VVC Coupe.

One of the main aims of getting the T4 working is to help support not just the 75/ZT but the Rover 200 Coupe (Tomcat) community, which im heavily involved in, so once I have the diags workign for my post-96 coupe, ill be looking to help support the older cars with earlier mems and adapters. (just need to identify if I need the TIM unit for some of them)

I decided to start with the 75 due to the help, and details on this forum over the last decade plus with T4 - the search facility has been getting great use, so also many thanks for the historical posts

If anyone can offer any more advice and assistance, and "things to watch out for" that would be most appreciated.
Old 19th August 2021, 09:33   #8
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

I got all my bits from farnel

Aren't there resistors that need to be sodered in to the plugs, in series between some of the wires and pins ????

Pete.
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2021, 09:35   #9
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

And make sure you block hole 8, if I remember correctly, which will prevent you from pluging the cable into port n°2, which apparently blows up the T4 !!!!
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2021, 13:52   #10
X10Rich
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletevl View Post
I got all my bits from farnel

Aren't there resistors that need to be sodered in to the plugs, in series between some of the wires and pins ????

Pete.
Yep, there are indeed resistors, one which does the lead detection, and the others that acut as pull-down/up resistors, and each of the adapters are wired differently, depending on the car. The 75 is easy,just the one red cable, its when you want to talk to the early stuff (i.e. 200) it get s more complex - three adapters cover the ECUs'! just got my Yellow 5AS adapter working though

Last edited by X10Rich; 19th August 2021 at 14:02..