Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th November 2021, 09:27   #11
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

There are quite a few untruths regarding EV cars that get banded about but I’d say try one? I currently have an ioniq hybrid which has a 240 volt battery and a petrol engine and next year i’m looking to go full electric. My biggest concern is my house electrics as we live in an older property. Normaly I don’t recommend going EV unless you have a home charger but even paying to charge away from home is cheaper than petrol or diesel so I’m looking at the ioniq5 or the new ZS long range that has just been launched. The 75 will of course stay

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2021, 09:34   #12
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

I think people who buy full-electric are the pioneers for the rest of us!

There are still massive problems facing us with the infrastructure etc., but it's getting better. Watching the Guy Martin C4 programme on Ecars I totally agree that it's too soon for joe public to be investing in electricity but it needs to start somewhere, hence the pioneer at the start.

I have a PHEV for that reason. Best-ish of both worlds. The perfect world would be..................my V8 running on hydrogen!!!
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 23:07   #13
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

i read with interest that in the north of the UK there has been no power for a week due to storms and the power companies are struggling to get the grid back up in freezing weather , even getting the army checking on peoples welfare.
I wonder if people with EV cars are still thinking its a great idea, they are totally
stuck and isolated. Dont tell me these sort of events wont happen again and again in the future.
Total stupidity relying on such a fragile technology to be mobile.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 23:24   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
i read with interest that in the north of the UK there has been no power for a week due to storms and the power companies are struggling to get the grid back up in freezing weather , even getting the army checking on peoples welfare.
I wonder if people with EV cars are still thinking its a great idea, they are totally
stuck and isolated. Dont tell me these sort of events wont happen again and again in the future.

I think the people up north without power are more likely to be worried about the need for a hot drink/meal and a warm house/bed than the range of their EV.

The rest of you chaps are just ruining the naysayers' fun with factual accuracy. Please stop, it's awfully boring!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 03:07   #15
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Um, yes I still think EV's are a great idea. Mine is usually sat on the drive fully charged and in the event of a prolonged power cut I've always got 160 miles of range and if I really had to I could always use a public charger which is no different to having to fill the ZT or X5 with fuel so I don't really see your point?

As said previously the new ZS which I'm aiming to upgrade to early next year has 270 miles of range and more importantly has vehicle to load which means I can power things like my heating system from the car in the event of a power cut.

That said we're lucky that a few years back they upgraded the power network here moving most of the cables underground which means we get less power cuts. Previously as soon as the wind got up we knew the power would go off, sometimes for quite a while whereas now we maybe have a couple of power cuts a year which just goes to show if power companies invest in the infrastructure then it can be made much more resilient, it's just a shame they are slow to do so.
Old 5th December 2021, 09:53   #16
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Default A few useful statistics

Here are a few useful statistics that demonstrate why EV range will not be a limiting factor in over 99.9% of travel needs.

Percentage of journeys less than 10 miles 83%

Percentage of journeys less than 25 miles 95%

Average traveled distance of all journeys 8.4 miles

Like others, I enjoy being able to get in the car once or twice a year and drive 200+ miles. If necessary, this could still be achieved by adjusting my mindset about long distance travel and using the available means.

In the long term, perhaps there will be a regulated car hire scheme for the odd occasion that people wish to travel long distances and public transport is not a viable option. We could quite easily take the train to say York or Exeter and hire an EV for driving around whilst on holiday.
Old 5th December 2021, 11:06   #17
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I think the people up north without power are more likely to be worried about the need for a hot drink/meal and a warm house/bed than the range of their EV.
If I was in that situation the first thing I would do would be to drive to a friend/relatives house where there was power (nearest 18 miles, next 90 miles and furthest 125 miles) At least with a conventional car I can do that.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 11:23   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
If I was in that situation the first thing I would do would be to drive to a friend/relatives house where there was power (nearest 18 miles, next 90 miles and furthest 125 miles) At least with a conventional car I can do that.
That is well within the range of the majority of EV's so you would be able to do it in an EV also.

There is also the need to exercise something that we all do without even realising, which is to buy intelligently. If a person lives out in the sticks, 75 miles from the nearest civilisation, then buy an EV with a 200+ mile range. Equally, if you are living on the outskirts of Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds...then something with a 50 mile range will satisfy 99.99% of travel requirements. It is all about buying intelligently.
Old 5th December 2021, 11:45   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post

The rest of you chaps are just ruining the naysayers' fun with factual accuracy. Please stop, it's awfully boring!
It might not be so much fun when your eyes light up after you accidently touch those high voltage DC batteries.-----

Won't be boring though.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 11:49   #20
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
Um, yes I still think EV's are a great idea. Mine is usually sat on the drive fully charged and in the event of a prolonged power cut I've always got 160 miles of range and if I really had to I could always use a public charger which is no different to having to fill the ZT or X5 with fuel so I don't really see your point?

As said previously the new ZS which I'm aiming to upgrade to early next year has 270 miles of range and more importantly has vehicle to load which means I can power things like my heating system from the car in the event of a power cut.

That said we're lucky that a few years back they upgraded the power network here moving most of the cables underground which means we get less power cuts. Previously as soon as the wind got up we knew the power would go off, sometimes for quite a while whereas now we maybe have a couple of power cuts a year which just goes to show if power companies invest in the infrastructure then it can be made much more resilient, it's just a shame they are slow to do so.
It's 10 times more expensive to put power cables in the ground.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote