Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th December 2021, 19:06   #1
aflynn

MG ZT

Default MG ZT Randomly Locking

Good Evening/Day/Afternoon. I hope this thread finds you well.

We're back, this time with another problem with the ZT. Yesterday morning I noticed the indicators flashing randomly whilst I went outside, close inspection found the car was randomly locking itself without any apparent reason. I checked the usual culprit and the plenums were bone dry, surprisingly and footwells dry. I drove it to work without any problems, the car wasn't locking itself upon driving as far as I could tell, until I got to work and parked it up. It started doing it again, came back after clocking off and noticed the car flashing away in the carpark, it only just had enough power to start back up again. Here is a video of the problem, the beep is due to me having the bonnet open, though I'd presume you know that anyway . Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://streamable.com/mv7lfu

Regards,
Adam
aflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2021, 19:18   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Sounds ike a body control module issue to me, I had one once that would wind the windows down and unlock all the doors on random occasions!

A swap of the BCU and all was well again.
Old 17th December 2021, 19:25   #3
aflynn

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Sounds ike a body control module issue to me, I had one once that would wind the windows down and unlock all the doors on random occasions!

A swap of the BCU and all was well again.
I suppose a scan with Toaf would show some faults on the BCU right? Funnily enough, I was reading faults on there last week, I hope I haven't broken something myself :/
Old 17th December 2021, 19:29   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflynn View Post
I suppose a scan with Toaf would show some faults on the BCU right? Funnily enough, I was reading faults on there last week, I hope I haven't broken something myself :/
Mine didnt show any faults on T4! swapped it for a good used one and coded the keys back in and all was well.
Old 19th December 2021, 20:17   #5
aflynn

MG ZT

So I've left the car for a few days with the battery disconnected, put it back on today and went for a short drive, came back and left it. Just now I have noticed the car flashing away at random intervals. I also have an issue with the indicators going from normal to fast flashing as if a bulb was out, though checking all 3 indicators shown they were working even when flashing fast, the IPK flashed to notify me that a bulb has failed, then returned to normal operation. It seems the wet weather we've been having lately has caused some problems with the electrics. I have been looking on ebay at BCU's, do the model numbers have to match the one fitted currently? My cars a pre face lift on an 04 registered in March 2004.