Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th December 2021, 18:56   #61
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
60 miles of range in 5 minutes? Well that's an improvement.

My old diesel 75 can fill up in well less than 5 minutes and is then good for another 600 odd miles.

That's progress for you

The powers that be only want you to do 600 miles on public transport in the brave new decarbonised world.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 19:11   #62
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Yeah, but the manufacturers have seen sense and most hybrids are petrol! The electric motors in the Navy's newest keep breaking down but it keeps Rolls Royce and their partner in profits...Kev
Have they seen sense or are they chasing subsidy and attempting to placate the woke? We will see.

BTW, what I mentioned is not a hybrid in the conventional sense and my understanding is that it was the yanks who designed and made the problematic intercoolers for the affected RN ships and not RR. Many new ways of doing things present teething problems from which lessons can be learned and modifications implemented. I believe that a refit for the affected ships will go some way in mitigation. Regardless of any possible problems it did not stop one of our Daring class showing a clean pair of heels in the Black Sea to what was in comparison a Russian tub trying and failing to intimidate it. Lol.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 20:52   #63
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
The powers that be only want you to do 600 miles on public transport in the brave new decarbonised world.

No Foreign Holidays for any of use then or does public transport not include flying?

Where is all this electricity going to come from especially at these high amps and voltages?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2021, 08:03   #64
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
No Foreign Holidays for any of use then or does public transport not include flying?

Where is all this electricity going to come from especially at these high amps and voltages?

Aviation is another industry that's in for a disruption Their holiday of never paying tax on aviation fuel is coming to an end. Sustainable renewable bio fuels will play a big part from now on. Shipping is also in for the same disruption on the fuels they use too. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...esri-1.4757029

We have the biggest wind farms in the world off the north sea, The three Hornsea wind farms off the east coast of the UK will be complete by next year then the giant Dogger Bank wind farms will be complete by 2026. https://electrek.co/2021/12/16/world...m-hornsea-two/

Old 19th December 2021, 09:51   #65
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
We have the biggest wind farms in the world off the north sea, The three Hornsea wind farms off the east coast of the UK will be complete by next year then the giant Dogger Bank wind farms will be complete by 2026. https://electrek.co/2021/12/16/world...m-hornsea-two/

Maybe but . . . as of just now wind is only generating 3.7% of our needs. Everybody blow. 1,2 3.
Old 19th December 2021, 10:34   #66
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Maybe but . . . as of just now wind is only generating 3.7% of our needs. Everybody blow. 1,2 3.

But that percentage will increase rapidly with all the hot air being released by the anti-EV contingent.

Sorry!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2021, 15:10   #67
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Some one in our local car club is involved with the Nuclear generation industry. he was telling us in the summer that by the time we have 50% of the cars on our roads as EV's they are forcasting a problem, short term power cuts will be the first thing we will notice at peak times.

The Nuclear industry have forcast we need too build a new Nuclear power station every year for the next 10 years for the anticipated demand if we all go electric. Even if that is being over pessimistic I cant see them building even half of that.

Maybe we will all be working from home permenatly by then so it wont matter
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2021, 17:59   #68
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Some one in our local car club is involved with the Nuclear generation industry. he was telling us in the summer that by the time we have 50% of the cars on our roads as EV's they are forcasting a problem, short term power cuts will be the first thing we will notice at peak times.

The Nuclear industry have forcast we need too build a new Nuclear power station every year for the next 10 years for the anticipated demand if we all go electric. Even if that is being over pessimistic I cant see them building even half of that.

Maybe we will all be working from home permenatly by then so it wont matter

Yeah investment might be a problem! There's a big brouhaha going on at present as to whether Nuclear & Gas can be classed as climate friendly investments through the International Platform on Sustainable Finance. The UK aligns itself with the EU “sustainable finance taxonomy” https://www.euractiv.com/section/ene...inance-fights/

Old 20th December 2021, 19:41   #69
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
True but in my experience commercial vehicles and buses have always been the most noticeable inner-city belchers. I'm talking about a much smaller diesel for on the go battery charging as required with plug-in mains charging still being the main and preferred option. It will be tiny in comparison to a main diesel engine of today's vehicles and it will be used by most for a fraction of the time. Being so small any emissions will be easier to deal with, smaller cats and therefore less use of precious metals. In fact smaller everything re emission controls and with BHP removed from the equation the need for some to cheat by removing safeguards will be defunct. That coupled with what should result in smaller cost for smaller items should also incentivize best practice when any main emission control parts need replacing. The technology has been around in other applications for a long time and is well understood. Used on trains and many subs the world over and I believe that our navy's newer ships are now using it with electric motors driving the props.

Many turbo electric ships were built during World War 2. Cutting reduction gearwheels was time consuming but electric motors could be wound relatively quickly. Some even ended their time being used as shoreside power stations for remote towns.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2021, 21:00   #70
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
But that percentage will increase rapidly with all the hot air being released by the anti-EV contingent.

Sorry!
I wonder if the wind stops blowing or is blowing to hard so wind turbines cant then produce power and you have cloudy weather reducing solar panels to 50%
in this brave new world of sole reliance on electrical consumption, i doubt there
will be enough base load power supply to keep the power grid operating.
My guess is it will still be fossil fuel power generation that will be needed to bail out the green power consumption at times like that.
Im sorry to say, all these people talking this green new revolution as the fix all
are in for a reality check.
In the end,One thing you cant fudge is reality!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote