Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th January 2022, 17:58   #141
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Indeed but I've never understood this passionate objection to ONshore wind turbines. What's wrong with them? Drive across the N German plain and the only relief from boredom are clusters of turbines. They can look quite spectacular and are I believe not surrounded by piles of dead birds as some have claimed. I'd love to know how much more expensive building and maintaining offshore compared to on land is. OK maybe don't build them on top of Helvellyn but there must be many other places where they would not be a problem at all.
Old 25th January 2022, 18:31   #142
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default The cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Indeed but I've never understood this passionate objection to ONshore wind turbines. What's wrong with them? Drive across the N German plain and the only relief from boredom are clusters of turbines. They can look quite spectacular and are I believe not surrounded by piles of dead birds as some have claimed. I'd love to know how much more expensive building and maintaining offshore compared to on land is. OK maybe don't build them on top of Helvellyn but there must be many other places where they would not be a problem at all.
Have a dig around and find out the cost of them, what they bring in terms of savings and how too much wind destroys them, they cost more than you think.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2022, 20:15   #143
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I would say the exact opposite. The sooner we invest in green energy, the sooner we will be less dependent on imported energy in all its forms.

Let's face it, the country spent £37bn on an ineffective contact tracing system/operation. Think what it could mean if we spent a similar amount on transitioning to green energy sources.
I’m suggesting that we will have to extract the energy we have, not suggesting we should import. We have reserves in the North Sea and loads we can access via fracking. As a country financially we need to use the resources we have. I don’t think we have the wealth as a country to go green quickly. Our national debt is 2.3 trillion, this year will see a huge increase in fuel poverty. Much I would like to go green quickly , I don’t think we can afford to.

Last edited by mbev51; 25th January 2022 at 20:21..
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2022, 09:48   #144
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
True but by only a minute fraction. Magnets much too weak.
Some of the alternative methods of illegally tampering with the meter were not so subtle. Companies even had dedicated teams to catch folks.

Oh happy days.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2022, 12:25   #145
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I’m suggesting that we will have to extract the energy we have, not suggesting we should import. We have reserves in the North Sea and loads we can access via fracking. As a country financially we need to use the resources we have. I don’t think we have the wealth as a country to go green quickly. Our national debt is 2.3 trillion, this year will see a huge increase in fuel poverty. Much I would like to go green quickly , I don’t think we can afford to.
fracking, wow thats' a can of worms to open.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2022, 13:09   #146
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:

The EU is overhauling it's climate policies for all 'Net Zero 2050' countries (that's us too) so if any of those countries don't cut their emissions in line with the 'Fit for 55' (55% reduction in emissions before 2030) there will be more financial penalties for countries that miss their emission targets. The UK government signed us up to a 68% reduction in emissions before 2030 in December 2020 https://www.euractiv.com/section/ene...missions-cuts/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2022, 07:23   #147
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
The EU is overhauling it's climate policies for all 'Net Zero 2050' countries (that's us too) so if any of those countries don't cut their emissions in line with the 'Fit for 55' (55% reduction in emissions before 2030) there will be more financial penalties for countries that miss their emission targets. The UK government signed us up to a 68% reduction in emissions before 2030 in December 2020 https://www.euractiv.com/section/ene...missions-cuts/
It's all total cobblers! Can you imagine Germany actually doing a 55% reduction? All it will be is statistics going into the fudge factory. And as for this stupid administration, it won't be the elite who will be monitored for actual reductions, it will be the great unwashed!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2022, 08:26   #148
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
It's all total cobblers! Can you imagine Germany actually doing a 55% reduction? All it will be is statistics going into the fudge factory. And as for this stupid administration, it won't be the elite who will be monitored for actual reductions, it will be the great unwashed!

Kev

An alternative scenario is that Germany will achieve massive reductions and use them to gain a competitive advantage in world markets against countries that have only paid lip service to environmental actions. This is a perfectly plausible scenario given how aware younger people are of our impacts on the environment and lack of action.

As for the elite, they only represent the top 1%. The unwashed, even if only responsible for half the emissions relative to the elite per head, still account for the majority of the total emissions. Control the habbits of the unwashed and the elite will be able to continue playing without concern.

PS - the equality thing between the elite and the peasant classes is a dream that the peasant has until he/she becomes the elite and then he/she will trample over his former comrades without giving it a second thought. It's all just an artificial concept that doesn't really apply in reality.

Last edited by MSS; 28th January 2022 at 09:14..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2022, 08:29   #149
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

Why do you believe that the infrastructure for extracting, processing and transporting those natural resources will be any cheaper than say the infrastructure for wind and solar power?
Old 28th January 2022, 18:51   #150
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post

Kev

There's a big brouhaha going on at present between the big hitters in the EU whether Gas & Nuclear can regarded as being in the 'Green Deal' from what I've read.

The EU has said no dice on gas or nuclear being defined as green in the western part of Europe/UK & the only countries who will get some sort of dispensation are the Eastern EU members like Poland, Greece & Romania (off the top of my head) as coal is & has always been the main source of power production.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote