Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st September 2021, 12:56   #31
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi_crawf View Post
I'm going to invest in a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta r3's for my 190 when I do my Arctic circle jolly but it might be overkill for the UK.
Gislaved and Hakkapeliitta were always our go-to best performing winter tires for deep snow. Nowadays we have more hard packed snow, ice and water to deal with and high performance friction rather than studded tires are the best choice usually - tires like the Bridgestone Blizzak and Michelin X-Ice. I still like Nokian, though, and for somewhere like Scotland - unless I really want a sticky canyon carving tire - would probably go with something like these https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat.../nokian-wr-g4/ .

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2021, 13:03   #32
slovcan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
The Toro is a beast, my neighbour has a Chinese thing with snow chains which can hardly manage to throw snow over the snow plowed walls. My Toro has no chains and a throwing distance of 13 metres, funny how most of my neighbours end up with more snow than us

Most welcome to call in if you’re ever passing. My Bantam D1 can’t match your Triumph but there’s a guy in our village who has original Speed Twin and a horde of classic Nortons.

Regards
I, too, proudly watch all my neighbours' inferior snow blower performance. My driveway is 110 feet long - about half of it double width plus a 40 foot path to the generator and I am always the first to finish the job. I hope one day we can ride to your local pub together for a meal.

Cheers,
Glenn

Old 1st September 2021, 13:09   #33
slovcan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Canada. Looks a great place to visit. Long dark nights in winter though..? As for th Torro. I want one but av no need.. I wonder if i can do trade inns with my 1910 Allen sythe..
That is a BEAUTIFUL machine. Keep her in good running condition and don't ever part with her!

Where we are (45 Degrees latitude) our winter days wouldn't be any shorter than yours, really. I have spent some time up north and that can be gloomy, alright. We do get more snow than you, though, most definitely. That said, we only get about half the amount now that we used to when I was growing up.

Cheers,
Glenn

Old 9th February 2022, 07:29   #34
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

In the end having watched the weather forecast I did not fit winter tyres. Roads were kept clear, met 3 gritters in 3 days.
Only once did I regret the decision, driving through a "blizzard" I was concerned about the road conditions but in fact there was nothing to worry about.
We did pass back along a route 2 days later to find one car on its roof and another off the road and up the bank but neither day did we have any issue so no idea what had gone on. Speed?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2022, 08:13   #35
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Looking for 195/65 91H winter tyres.
Anyone had problems getting this spec in a winter tyre or can recommend a brand?

For Scotland in February will an all season tyre do or is an out and out winter tyre the one to go for?

The Dunlop Winter Response 2 has a winter tyre label and a 3 Peak winter Snowflake symbol, I'm confused, what tyre is it? It is only a T rating so no good
https://www.national.co.uk/tyres/bra...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

macafee2
When I was driving about 500+ miles a week, I got Winter tyres rather than all season. I also got a set of wheels off Ebay which worked out cheaper than swapping tyres on one set of rims. The difference, especially on the untreated roads was amazing.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2022, 08:55   #36
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
When I was driving about 500+ miles a week, I got Winter tyres rather than all season. I also got a set of wheels off Ebay which worked out cheaper than swapping tyres on one set of rims. The difference, especially on the untreated roads was amazing.
you say "especially on the untreated roads was amazing" but on treated roads, was there any difference? On the untreated roads was there snow and ice on the road?

macafee2
Old 9th February 2022, 10:42   #37
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
I've done the same. About 4 years ago I bought a 2nd hand set of contour wheels 15" for £40 with two good tyres. I swapped the 2 bad tyres so for budget winters just before beast from east hit us. I drove all over Dartmoor in 4" of snow to go sledging with my daughter. Even pulled a Suzuki 4x4 out of the snow it was stuck in, and that's with summers on the rear.

Year after I got some Nokian winter tyres fitted to make a full winter set, performance in cold wet conditions is better than summer tyres and when there is frost, ice and occasional snow it is nice to have the better grip. Admittedly this far south snow is unusual, but we get a fare share of wet and cold weather.

I fit them for about 3 months in the worst of the winter conditions, to make sure Mrs Andy can get to work. They don't perform quite so well in the warm and dry, but then they're not meant to and i'm not setting lap times at the Nürburgring!
I work all over the moors and countryside of Cornwall, and have done the same thing on my van, and have made it onto site when others can't. So it is a definite benefit.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2022, 13:00   #38
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
you say "especially on the untreated roads was amazing" but on treated roads, was there any difference? On the untreated roads was there snow and ice on the road?

macafee2
Not sure. My trip to work was about half on untreated country roads and half on dual carriageway/motorway that were pretty well gritted. On the 20 or so country miles, the winter tyres were worth their weight in gold. On the better roads, steering was minimal and by keeping the speed and following distance sensible, I barely used the brakes.
Old 9th February 2022, 13:16   #39
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Not sure. My trip to work was about half on untreated country roads and half on dual carriageway/motorway that were pretty well gritted. On the 20 or so country miles, the winter tyres were worth their weight in gold. On the better roads, steering was minimal and by keeping the speed and following distance sensible, I barely used the brakes.
but was there snow and ice on the untreated roads?

macfee2
Old 10th February 2022, 17:35   #40
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
but was there snow and ice on the untreated roads?

macfee2
Yes, the difference was certainly noticeable and worth the expense.