Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th February 2022, 17:04   #61
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzateer View Post
If there were no signs for the bus lane you should have challenged it. If there were signs and you missed them I'm afraid it's down to you. Being unfamiliar with a location is no defence as the signage is pretty standard throughout the UK. Not having a dig at you

I know the letter of the law says being unfamiliar with the locaton is no defence, but in a city as big and as busy as Nottingham with traffic changing lanes at speed all around you it is very easy to find yourself in a bus lane.Presumably there were signs but I didn't notice them,I was too busy playing dodgem cars and trying to keep safe.I was just making the point that it's likely 'more the merrier' like me,as far as council's are concerned

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2022, 19:02   #62
Bazzateer

I completely understand (been there myself) but the counter argument would be since you're unfamiliar with the area you should be paying extra attention to your surroundings.

In the past I heard people say they went through a no entry sign because they weren't from around here. My reply was "Really? What do no entry signs look like where you're from then?"
Old 15th February 2022, 19:27   #63
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Problem solved it seems:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-union-uk-july
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2022, 20:12   #64
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
It has been shown in many studies that drivers adjust to safer cars. Brakes are better? Brake later. Radial well engineered tyres instead of cross ply? Drive and corner faster. Seatbelts? Even these changed drivers habits for the worse.
Cars improve but it seems driving habits don't. Reaction times don't improve and neither do manners, observation and anticipation. At 70mph the total stopping distance on a dry road is about 315' (102' per second) at 80mph about 400' and at 90mph about 495' which equates to 132' per second. If every driver used common sense as to when and where to use higher speeds it would be different, but on your next motorway trip count the number of incompetent drivers. By human nature we will always want and take more more, but realistically, how many drivers can be trusted to maintain the level of concentration and anticipate developing hazards.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2022, 22:44   #65
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
It has been shown in many studies that drivers adjust to safer cars. Brakes are better? Brake later. Radial well engineered tyres instead of cross ply? Drive and corner faster. Seatbelts? Even these changed drivers habits for the worse.
Cars improve but it seems driving habits don't. Reaction times don't improve and neither do manners, observation and anticipation. At 70mph the total stopping distance on a dry road is about 315' (102' per second) at 80mph about 400' and at 90mph about 495' which equates to 132' per second. If every driver used common sense as to when and where to use higher speeds it would be different, but on your next motorway trip count the number of incompetent drivers. By human nature we will always want and take more more, but realistically, how many drivers can be trusted to maintain the level of concentration and anticipate developing hazards.
The cars improve but the bio mechanical device in control of it does not. There are two things the male will never admit he is bad at; one is driving a car, the other? Well this is a family friendly forum.

As for counting incompetent drivers, I'll start with myself. I'm not perfect. However I try very hard to be. I (try and) keep to the speed limit, I never tailgate, never drink and drive (I don't drink alcohol) and if someone makes a mistake I just smile and let them get on their way.

Always question stopping distances though.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2022, 22:48   #66
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I wish there were more police deployed on the roads. But, with numbers reduced significantly over the years and claimed as so called efficiency improvements, we are where we are. It is not going to change for the better unless people campaign for more funding for police forces.

Irrespective of all the counter arguments, I take the simple view that if a person drives significantly over the speed limit, he/she should be held to account. If that accountability leads to increased revenues to the treasury, then so much the better.

If a person does not wish to contribute to the revenue, he/she should drive within speed limits. Itś as simple as that. If you speed and are detected, pay up with a smile.

Personally, I would place highly visible dummy cameras in strategic locations followed a short distance later by hidden active ones. I also look forward to the day when all cars have onboard cameras that autonomously watch the vehicles around them and transmit transgressions to a central fine generation facility. Also, fines would increase exponentially with each transgression.

We are too soft on rule/law breakers!
Old 16th February 2022, 07:34   #67
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
...... I also look forward to the day when all cars have onboard cameras that autonomously watch the vehicles around them and transmit transgressions to a central fine generation facility......
I don't think we're too far away from this being possible. Technology moves on at such an incredible pace these days.

I believe all new cars will have "speed limiting" from 6 July this year. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content...cars-from-2022. I've heard somewhere that most new cars have speed logged into the ECU already?

It'll be fascinating to see what happens with the KSI (Killed or Seriously Injured) figures over the next few years. And to see what happens with safety cameras too.

I wonder how many incidents will have the phrase "I don't know how it happened. I was under the speed limit"

Time will tell.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 16th February 2022 at 07:39..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 09:25   #68
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I also look forward to the day when all cars have onboard cameras that autonomously watch the vehicles around them and transmit transgressions to a central fine generation facility. Also, fines would increase exponentially with each transgression.

We are too soft on rule/law breakers!
I can tell you that your idea is not good for stress levels. I drove for several years with intrusive technology. Cameras to the front, side and rear as well as internally including the drivers cab. Telematics that recorded and pinged the company if there was any relatively harsh braking or steering.

It can be to a drivers benefit if an incident occurs, but also, if a driver does make a mistake it can hang them. What driver never makes a mistake?
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 10:05   #69
Bazzateer

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
What driver never makes a mistake?
In relation to speeding at least one earlier contributor to this thread!
Old 16th February 2022, 10:55   #70
zeek
Regular poster

75 CDTi SE Auto

Is this the location? If so probably been issues with the junction or maybe to assist councillors' use of their club

https://goo.gl/maps/YqGjkaH33914c1ZA8
zeek is offline   Reply With Quote