Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th February 2022, 15:10   #71
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Sincerely hope some contributors on this thread never have to do jury duty, they'd have the dependent guilty even before they'd confirmed their identify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Yes, often the worse the driving offence is the less punishment they receive!
Exactly my point, as the defendant I am truly appalled at how driving standards on our roads have declined since I started driving back in 1971. I can guarantee that every time I venture out on the roads that some mad, lunatic driver, will drive past me doing at least twice the speed limit. They are good at driving too, (or so they think ) since they usually evade capture and repeat the same behaviour day in and day out! Unlike me of course, who will eat humble pie , attend the awareness course willingly, ( I will repeat willingly underscored), take every bit of information seriously and drive even slower than I do now! I have read everyone's comments by the way, some very good, but others somewhat damning, without knowing the trues facts and thoughts of the perpetrator. Yes I have done jury service too, in Crown Courts, unlike many others here!

Last edited by robbrooks; 19th February 2022 at 15:29..
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2022, 15:57   #72
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
Is this the location? If so probably been issues with the junction or maybe to assist councillors' use of their club

https://goo.gl/maps/YqGjkaH33914c1ZA8
based upon google maps (only!) that does look like a particularly hazardous road. One of the streetview images shows a wet road, and looking at the sign too HERE, I would guess the road is very slippy in the wet, with fallout from the trees, and all the while leading up to the junction on the left. The lorry HERE demonstrates the danger of it.

I have not seen the road, never mind driven it, so can only go by the street view. I would imagine there have been more than a few collisions at that junction, and this I bet will be the justification for the camera. The fairness of its position though is debatable, however, the highly visible sign states 30mph, and its black and white (and red literally lol), one should be at 30mph by that point.

There is a 30mph village on my route home, and I have found that if I release the accelerator at the final 40mph sign (which used to be a national speed limit road until housing was built among it), there is a slight downward slope, and by the time i reach the 30mph sign, I am at around 35, and at around 100 yards beyond the 30 sign, I am at exactly 30mph, just as the lock up/coast (it is an auto) disengages. I do not like to use the brakes where I can avoid it, as aside from 'wasting' them, drivers behind tend to use theirs at the slightest illumination of brake lights ahead. But ultimately, if there was ever a camera directly behind that 30mph sign, and it caught me doing 35 (as it would), I cannot deny I was speeding, since I was aware of the 30mph sign at that point. The road through the village though, is known for speeding, and there have been collisions in the past, but I do not recall anything major. They do catch speeders on it regularly, in both traffic cars and camera vans, but the point is, that it is a 30mph, and always has been. In this instance this 30mph limit, I believe is the reason why there have not been major collisions. (I have driven through it in my young and dumb days at much more than the 30mph). Therefore then, if that is indeed the case upholding and enforcing this 30mph limit will maintain this 'safety' particularly with more vehicles on the road.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2022, 21:46   #73
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I do not like to use the brakes where I can avoid it, as aside from 'wasting' them, drivers behind tend to use theirs at the slightest illumination of brake lights ahead.
I can't say that I agree with this point of view regarding brakes. T he whole idea of brake lights is to signal to other road users that you are slowing down, an indication which makes driving safer for everyone.

You also mention, "drivers behind tend to use theirs at the slightest illumination of brake lights ahead". This is a good practice as it informs drivers behind, by brake lights, that traffic ahead is slowing.

On one of many driving courses I attended, we were shown video to demonstrate how accidents happen. Statistically and the video demonstrated the point, the most at risk car in moving traffic is the 3rd one. For example, thinking distance at 40mph is about 40', so even by reacting instantly to the lead car slowing, 40' of safety gap is lost and then the next car loses another 40'. The brain reacts far quicker to a light flashing on than a gradual no-warning deceleration.

This is also the cause of many holdups on a motorway. If one car is forced to brake for an incident, maybe someone pulling out with insufficient observation, each following car closes the gaps, (70' thinking distance) resulting in very quick order, with cars to the rear having to stop.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2022, 21:53   #74
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

[QUOTE=clf;Yes I have done jury service too, in Crown Courts, unlike many others here!
[/QUOTE]

Lucky you! I was called for jury service twice. Once when I was in the police and once when I was on the prison parole board, so I was barred both times.
Old 19th February 2022, 22:37   #75
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
I can't say that I agree with this point of view regarding brakes. T he whole idea of brake lights is to signal to other road users that you are slowing down, an indication which makes driving safer for everyone.

You also mention, "drivers behind tend to use theirs at the slightest illumination of brake lights ahead". This is a good practice as it informs drivers behind, by brake lights, that traffic ahead is slowing.

On one of many driving courses I attended, we were shown video to demonstrate how accidents happen. Statistically and the video demonstrated the point, the most at risk car in moving traffic is the 3rd one. For example, thinking distance at 40mph is about 40', so even by reacting instantly to the lead car slowing, 40' of safety gap is lost and then the next car loses another 40'. The brain reacts far quicker to a light flashing on than a gradual no-warning deceleration.

This is also the cause of many holdups on a motorway. If one car is forced to brake for an incident, maybe someone pulling out with insufficient observation, each following car closes the gaps, (70' thinking distance) resulting in very quick order, with cars to the rear having to stop.
lol, not the way my dad 'touches' his brakes - 1/2 mile up ahead a bus pulls into a stop, meanwhile I get to test how effective my seatbelt is lol. I can see what you are saying in principle though. However, in my experience from being the third and further car behind, the ones braking, brake much harder than is required, and it is this that causes the disruption and in some cases, panic especially on the daily commute (heavy traffic). Normally the fault of a car(s) behind knowingly travelling too close to the car in front. Unfortunately it is only evidence that those drivers are not paying attention the road ahead of them, which has become normalised behaviour.

Quote:
Lucky you! I was called for jury service twice. Once when I was in the police and once when I was on the prison parole board, so I was barred both times.
not me

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2022, 08:54   #76
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

It should also be remembered that a speed limit sign (eg 30 mph) is the START of the speed limit, NOT the point where you start thinking about slowing down!
Similarly of course, the diagonal black stripe shows the end of speed restriction (ie beginning of the 60mph national speed limit). This de-restriction does NOT start because you can see the sign in the distance.....
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2022, 09:24   #77
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

My wife's been called for jury service for the 3rd time. They called her last year, but due to me still shielding we managed to get it postponed for 12 months.

Thing is we are now considering moving to another part of the country and this could all be delayed.

Best of luck to the op by the way.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2022, 10:04   #78
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
My wife's been called for jury service for the 3rd time. ..........

She should make all efforts to go and do the jury service. Think of the opportunity to have a ball if the defendant is a speeding driver whose defence is that the cameras are there purely as revenue machines...
Old 20th February 2022, 11:27   #79
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
My wife's been called for jury service for the 3rd time. They called her last year, but due to me still shielding we managed to get it postponed for 12 months.

Thing is we are now considering moving to another part of the country and this could all be delayed.

Best of luck to the op by the way.
My partner is an Iranian political refugee, now a British citizen for about 25 years. She is proud to British, proud to be called for jury service and felt honoured to take part in our normally transparent legal system. Talking to her about her jury service, made me think much deeper about our freedoms and responsibilities. One of my greatest life regrets is not having had the opportunity to serve on a jury.
Old 20th February 2022, 11:58   #80
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
My partner is an Iranian political refugee, now a British citizen for about 25 years. She is proud to British, proud to be called for jury service and felt honoured to take part in our normally transparent legal system. Talking to her about her jury service, made me think much deeper about our freedoms and responsibilities. One of my greatest life regrets is not having had the opportunity to serve on a jury.

Most of us who are non-natives of these isles are in fact proud of British value and the legal system. It annoys us when we see and hear the natives constantly moan about the unfairness of our legal system, police force, taxation, media and everything else under the sun. They take for granted or fail to appreciate freedoms and values that exist in only a few countries around the world, almost all of which are in Europe.

We non-natives even enjoy the British weather - it's better than people dying in 40C heat during the summer!

Last edited by MSS; 20th February 2022 at 13:40..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote