Notices

Old 12th March 2022, 14:41   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
If we had room yes we would, simply because we have grand/great grand children and I can only hope that someone would take them in given the same situation.
As for trusting people my Mother and Father took in two USAF ground crew in world war 2 who repaid their kindness by stealing most of their valuables and vanishing into the night.
There's good and bad in all races and creeds and I'm sure the majority of the Ukrainian population were just ordinary working folk until a few weeks ago.
Cheers Ian
alas it is the few wrongens that ruin it for the good and decent. No good deed goes un punished.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2022, 16:07   #12
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I hope all the genuine offers of accommodation are taken up, especially by the mothers with children. What dedication for their fathers to remain to fight those illegal state sponsored killers. Not sure I could do that although the ‘cause’ is honourable in the extreme. However, it does reflect on those others who pay for the passage to a better life – illegally. Apparently the costs of that journey are eye watering. I wonder where that money comes from. They too are escaping tyranny and repression.
Old 12th March 2022, 16:20   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ53 DGO View Post
A couple of very good questions, we need to do our fair share and I have no issues with people who want to come here and do a fair days work for a fair days pay, however these people are in need of help right now. The question I have is once they are here how do we separate the ones who deserve to be here and will contribute to society and how do we get rid of the ones who will sponge off the system and cost our NHS and housing?
The whole idea that foreigners come over here to sponge off the welfare state is a myth. Study after study has shown that immigrants actually draw less from the welfare state than the indigenous population.

My own experience of dealing with people from eastern europe is that they will work day and night to better themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

My suggestion is to allow them in but they must be working within 3 months of this terrible ness finishing or they have to go.

What is needed is someone to go and put a bullit through Putins head.
Where would you send them?

On your second point, when's your flight?
Old 13th March 2022, 06:49   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
The whole idea that foreigners come over here to sponge off the welfare state is a myth. Study after study has shown that immigrants actually draw less from the welfare state than the indigenous population.

My own experience of dealing with people from eastern europe is that they will work day and night to better themselves.

Where would you send them?

On your second point, when's your flight?
many many years ago on a daytime programme, one chap complained foreigners came over here and took our jobs, another complained they came over here and did not work sponging off the state.
I've always thought that those two guys need to sit down and argue over their so opposed points of view.

yea, a lot for foreigners will work hard for little money and long hours.

macafee2
Old 13th March 2022, 14:37   #15
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

It is a matter of choice-not an time for virtue signalling. I wouldnt. But I see officialdom may trump my "choice". Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2022, 15:54   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

If anyone is interested

https://inews.co.uk/news/ukrainian-r...lained-1511763

and

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...inian-refugees

macafee2
Old 14th March 2022, 07:21   #17
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Refugees are not a new phenomenon. Several years ago, we rented out a 2 bedroom ground floor flat in Margate to tenants who were refugees, people who were down on their luck through no fault of their own. The deal was managed by a housing association and the rent was paid by the council. When the refugees moved on, the association paid for the flat to be redecorated. It was a nice flat with private secure parking, double glazing and central heating, 5 minutes walk from the sea front. £350 per month isn’t much incentive, it needs to be much higher to allow for maintenance and repairs, legal fees etc,
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2022, 08:52   #18
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Refugees are not a new phenomenon. Several years ago, we rented out a 2 bedroom ground floor flat in Margate to tenants who were refugees, people who were down on their luck through no fault of their own. The deal was managed by a housing association and the rent was paid by the council. When the refugees moved on, the association paid for the flat to be redecorated. It was a nice flat with private secure parking, double glazing and central heating, 5 minutes walk from the sea front.
Quote:
£350 per month isn’t much incentive, it needs to be much higher to allow for maintenance and repairs, legal fees etc,
Is the £350 per month including food & shopping for the extra people, more water will be used, more electric, more gas, if that cost include the above a family of 3 one adult & two children would use up at least £100 per week easy.

I also read or heard the person whom owns the home as to be vetted, are the refugees vetted too?

I wonder how many of the MP's will allow their second homes to be used

I doubt any of these will be used for the refugees
https://www.veranda.com/luxury-lifes...-family-homes/

If money can be found to help kill people, then money can be found to help people surely.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 14th March 2022 at 08:58..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2022, 09:22   #19
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Is the £350 per month including food & shopping for the extra people, more water will be used, more electric, more gas, if that cost include the above a family of 3 one adult & two children would use up at least £100 per week easy.

I also read or heard the person whom owns the home as to be vetted, are the refugees vetted too?

I wonder how many of the MP's will allow their second homes to be used

I doubt any of these will be used for the refugees
https://www.veranda.com/luxury-lifes...-family-homes/

If money can be found to help kill people, then money can be found to help people surely.

Hi Steve

Thank you for asking.

I know as much about the refugee resettlement scheme as anyone else.

From our experience when the refugees moved on from our flat, they took everything with them including the light bulbs and the toilet seat, so we had to bump up the rent to pay for those losses and replacements. Naturally they will want to bring over their relatives as and when they are allowed to do so. To make the scheme more attractive there needs to be more on the table for the property owner. It’s not only money, but there should be back up for the refugees and property owners when there is a crisis.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2022, 11:57   #20
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Hi Steve

From our experience when the refugees moved on from our flat, they took everything with them including the light bulbs and the toilet seat, . .
And from our experience from renting out a bungalow we inherited, one set of (English by the way) tenants decided to rearrange the plumbing, refit new doors and generally muck the place up. And of course they did a moonlight. Cost us £2000 + to put right. We sold the place soon after: I hated being a landlord.