Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th March 2022, 19:38   #51
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
It's sad really, especially if your Rover is your daily driver. They really are classics now, to be preserved and used minimally. I had to sell mine for another reason, hard to get in and out but decisions will have to be made whether owners keep running them due to escalating fuel costs. I made an impulse buy with an Astra 1.6 with low mileage but that has now gone, replaced by a Golf Plus 1.9 TDi Auto.
I think they are at the stage where it costs more to maintain them than their resale value, especially if several things crop up at once. This is what sends most cars to the breaker's yard I suspect.

I've spent £2,000 on mine in the last two months and its insurance value is £770. So on the face of it this could be seen as an illogical decision. However, I'm not planning on selling it so the retail value is meaningless, I only do 100 or so miles a week in it so the fuel cost isn't a deal breaker and it was bought and paid for on the day I drove it away, nine years ago, so there's no £250 a month contract hanging round my neck for years as there would be if I leased a car or bought one on HP.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2022, 22:53   #52
Bazzateer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I think they are at the stage where it costs more to maintain them than their resale value, especially if several things crop up at once. This is what sends most cars to the breaker's yard I suspect.

I've spent £2,000 on mine in the last two months and its insurance value is £770. So on the face of it this could be seen as an illogical decision. However, I'm not planning on selling it so the retail value is meaningless, I only do 100 or so miles a week in it so the fuel cost isn't a deal breaker and it was bought and paid for on the day I drove it away, nine years ago, so there's no £250 a month contract hanging round my neck for years as there would be if I leased a car or bought one on HP.
An equivalent new car would cost more than £250/month I reckon.
Old 14th March 2022, 09:15   #53
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzateer View Post
An equivalent new car would cost more than £250/month I reckon.
£250 a month gets you little more than a shopping trolley these days and after 3 years you hand it back or have to pay approximately half what it's new price was when you started using it.

A mate gets £450 a month for a car with his work, no BMW or Merc for him. He has an Vauxhall Insignia and he has to an additional £20 out of his own pocket. Yes he could have got a better price but would have had to put down £2k first, I can buy a car outright for the deposit.

I am sure leasing work's for some but I think it is just a way of getting people who can't afford a new car behind the wheel.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2022, 09:34   #54
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Not sure how you see BEV's being a fad!!! There are currently 38 EV battery gigafactories across the UK /EU under construction or in the planning stage right now,

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/07/03...gigafactories/

There are three in the UK, One next to Nissan's car plant in Sunderland, Britishvolt in Blyrh Northumberland which Aston Martin are heavily involved with their upcoming new EV models There's a huge battery gigafactory that's just recently got the nod to be built in the west Midlands which is a joint venture between Coventry council & Coventry airport. Jaguar will be using those batteries in it's upcoming BEV's when it transitions to electric in 2024. https://www.edie.net/news/8/Coventry...-the-go-ahead/

The new cobalt free LFP batteries are extremely reliable nowadays with BYD's Blade battery packs now warranted for ten years & are far less susceptible to fire risk even when the traction pack is punctured. https://www.autoconnectedcar.com/202...hen-punctured/

How long is it going to be before we have an odd/even number alternate driving days like they have in Italy with calls for drastic cuts in private car usage to reduce emissions even further? https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/env...ro-says-report
there were factories making CDs they do not any more.....Battery cars are NOT the answer .... you will see and i will not be being buying one no matter how much TV slaps the adverts are broadcasted out
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2022, 09:38   #55
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
The trouble is, the manufactures emphasise the maximum range in ideal conditions. Use of heating, lighting and even the radio affect the range. Also, it is stated that to get maximum life, the battery should only be charged up to 80% maximum and kept above 50%, so following the recommended guidelines we are talking about a mere 30% of the maximum, in your case, to get maximum life out of the battery pack, a recommended range of 80-90 miles.

As with most fuel economy figures, in the real world they are nowhere near advertised "up to" figures. The cost to replace the battery pack in your car for instance, is about £4600 plus any labour costs. towards the end of the 7 year warranty, the 2nd hand market will most probably be badly hit which I expect to severely impact the lifespan. Additionally, the more electric vehicles the greater the demand and therefore prices of the rare metals required will increase beyond inflation.
Depreciation is estimated to run at about 67% after just 3 years, extrapolate that to 7 years when a replacement battery pack would be a distinct possibility, the costs to keep the car on the road will be unrealistic. The perks on offer at the moment, for example road pricing, will be a long gone distant dream, bearing in mind the government is already talking of income lost with the "get people to go electric" costs.

this comment is spot on, you need cobalt and lots of it to make battery cars, if GB only replaced all of its cars with battery cars we would need 2000% of the world production its all bull.......Battery cars are not it.... and the climate change oh sorry global warming... is the same hoax as the current situations the world finds its self in.
Old 14th March 2022, 10:37   #56
Twisterboy
Loves to post

75 Connoisseur SE in BRG

Have to admit this weekend I was nearly hooked with a advert for a Ecoboost Fiesta ST Line on a 66 plate from a local dealer then he gives the costs per month... £313 a month or something like that, I just find the HP/PCP prices per month seem to have increased as well, but I am sticking with my 75, just spent in the last month about £300 to keep her on the road.

2004 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

51 of 118 Rover 75s to come off the production line on 21st July 2004

71 of only 235 British Racing Green diesel face lift Connoisseur SE saloons with Sandstone Beige Interiors produced worldwide

Mileage April 2022: 120225 or 2914 in my custody
Twisterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2022, 17:36   #57
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post
this comment is spot on, you need cobalt and lots of it to make battery cars, if GB only replaced all of its cars with battery cars we would need 2000% of the world production its all bull.......Battery cars are not it.... and the climate change oh sorry global warming... is the same hoax as the current situations the world finds its self in.
Not sure where you found that statistic from, probably the same source that told you climate change is all a hoax?

As it goes cobalt is being phased out of battery packs and the next generation will be cobalt free. Thanks to the research done by the likes of Tesla there is also a good chance that this technology will filter down to the biggest user of cobalt with is consumer electronics so hopefully in a few years the phone in your pocket will also contain no cobalt.

Don't also overlook the biggest benefit of EV's which is local pollution. Think about how much nicer our city centers will be without the noise and pollution from ICE cars.

Finally for those of us that want to continue running dino juice cars as a hobby we're more likely to be able to do so if people naturally move to EV's which means less chance of the government legislating to remove ICE cars altogether.
Old 14th March 2022, 23:50   #58
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
Not sure where you found that statistic from, probably the same source that told you climate change is all a hoax?

As it goes cobalt is being phased out of battery packs and the next generation will be cobalt free. Thanks to the research done by the likes of Tesla there is also a good chance that this technology will filter down to the biggest user of cobalt with is consumer electronics so hopefully in a few years the phone in your pocket will also contain no cobalt.

Don't also overlook the biggest benefit of EV's which is local pollution. Think about how much nicer our city centers will be without the noise and pollution from ICE cars.

Finally for those of us that want to continue running dino juice cars as a hobby we're more likely to be able to do so if people naturally move to EV's which means less chance of the government legislating to remove ICE cars altogether.
You wont be going any where if you read the Agenda 2030, WEF/UN/WHO agenda..... smart cities with no one travelling anywhere...... that is the plan, so having battery cars will not be an issue...
Old 15th March 2022, 07:07   #59
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

We're currently using our diesel tourer manual for everyday work commuting, school runs, shopping visiting family etc... The wife isn't even using her ford sportka anymore (that is expensive!) Nearly 300 pound road tax and £65 to fill with E10 and 250 miles later (approx 10 days travelling to us).
Since we did the clutch and wheel bearing on our tourer.. it's been in daily use, racking up around 800 miles a month on average. Averaging about 45mpg which I can't complain about for the size of the car.

Wife likes it that much.. she wants a diesel 75 herself to replace her much loved sportka.

Going down the finance route as a young family isn't really viable and getting something newer and paying cash.. could be an option but, then it's the price of the parts for said newer vehicle and the added complexity because it's newer..
"Better the devil ya know".
Driven myself round the bend thinking of other more economical European peasant wagons but as we have found from personal experience.. cheaper to run, still an old ish car, whatever you'll save in fuel/tax you'll lose in cost of repairs. A car that is cheap to run/tax etc, is unlikely to have been maintained by an enthusiast, the type of person that buys such a car is likely to be tighter than two coats of paint as we have found over the years

Last edited by biffa75; 15th March 2022 at 07:10..
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2022, 08:34   #60
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur, MG TF 80th Anniversary

Lots of posts here with plenty of common sense. I think a lot of people struggling with fuel prices will also be paying monthlies for leased/PCP cars and might now find it unaffordable.

I've had a few comments since I bought my 2.5 as a daily in September and fuel prices have gone only one way, but before this I spent 7 years or so paying PCP across 3 cars. No hard feelings to the dealers etc, I had most recently a 69 plate Focus ST which I could not have afforded cash up front. Before that I had a Mini Cooper S brand new, kept it 4 years and over 40k miles, great car.

However, I got fed up of paying £300+/month before I'd driven anywhere so decided to transfer my hobby of looking after MG Rover cars (had a couple of TFs) to a daily as well. Got a 75 in good condition, 40k miles and now I commute in comfort with no monthlies and the price of the 75 was comfortably less than just the deposit on the Focus.

Petrol wise my commute is driving from semi-urban into a town centre, so never got much above 32mpg on about 110 miles/week. Admittedly it's now down to 25/26 but the cost has got to go up a hell of a lot before I'm anywhere near where I was before. I know the 2 cars aren't equivalent but it's why I'm not too worried. Suppose it all depends on circumstances.

However, there will also be people right on the breadline. Who are already driving a cheaper, older car because it's all they can afford and their only means of earning a living, where a substantial increase in petrol costs really will hurt them and their families. What we do for these people is a tough one because I'm not sure how they can help themselves, if they are already driving the cheapest car they can. Unfortunately the result may be it's not worth their while working at all.

Last edited by TomTheTyke; 15th March 2022 at 10:44..
TomTheTyke is offline   Reply With Quote