Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th March 2022, 08:49   #61
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post
You wont be going any where if you read the Agenda 2030, WEF/UN/WHO agenda..... smart cities with no one travelling anywhere...... that is the plan, so having battery cars will not be an issue...

And everything just appears by magic, or drones, food, the plumber, a Costa coffee, a new carpet, holidays at the municipal park etc.

I used to read about similar ideas in documents as a child.

Only they weren't called agendas.................they were called sci-fi magazines. 😉😂😅
Old 15th March 2022, 09:00   #62
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

[QUOTE=What we do for these people is a tough one because I'm not sure how they can help themselves, if they are already driving the cheapest car they can. Unfortunately the result may be it's not worth their while working at all.[/QUOTE]

There is no way that I will ever be able to afford to downgrade to electric or even hybrid.

For some years before I retired, I was doing an 80 mile daily round trip to work, about 1 hour - 1 hour 10 minutes each way. With the mix of driving I was getting 37 - 39 mpg, so quite a hefty fuel bill as well as frequent tyres.

I eventually started public transport. 4 miles drive to catch a bus, 35 minutes to the railway station then about 45 minutes by train followed by a 10 minute walk. The return journey was similar except that it often took an extra half an hour because I needed the train to be on time and the bus 2 or 3 minutes late.

On the credit side, I worked for the Go-Ahead group in Greater London so I had free bus travel both in London and my home area and the huge privilege of an annual network train ticket for the princely sum of £50 a year. So for about 4 gallons of diesel and about £1.00 a week train fare, I spent an extra 3 hours a day travelling, time I used to complete training reports and catch up with the news and read books. I actually began to enjoy a relaxing journey to work rather than 25 miles of country roads, about 10 miles of motorway and then 5 miles of urban driving each way.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2022, 09:49   #63
Twisterboy
Loves to post

75 Connoisseur SE in BRG

The only way I could afford a electric car is second hand on Finance and the only electric car I really like would be a Leaf, or I may be swayed by a Toyota Hybrid like the Auris, my wife's next car will most likely be electric or hybrid when we come to change it, it's currently 4 years old and we or I normally change say at 3 years old but it's been barely used 18k in 4 years and we have no reason to make the change as yet and we made the decision to pay off the PCP last year, which has saved us £162 a month which is most likely now being swallowed by petrol costs!

The only advantage to my 75 is that when it becomes banned from Edinburgh's ULEZ Zone I have the wife's Fabia which is ULEZ Compliant to use when I need to enter town!

2004 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

51 of 118 Rover 75s to come off the production line on 21st July 2004

71 of only 235 British Racing Green diesel face lift Connoisseur SE saloons with Sandstone Beige Interiors produced worldwide

Mileage April 2022: 120225 or 2914 in my custody
Twisterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2022, 10:18   #64
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur, MG TF 80th Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisterboy View Post

The only advantage to my 75 is that when it becomes banned from Edinburgh's ULEZ Zone I have the wife's Fabia which is ULEZ Compliant to use when I need to enter town!
Just looked into this after seeing your post as I am taking the 75 to Edinburgh over Easter. Luckily it is not planned to be enforced until 2024, but will be even more draconian than the London zone. In that, as a very infrequent visitor in London I might elect to pay £25 quid total to drive in one day then drive back out another, not ideal of course. The Edinburgh scheme, it seems, would ban my car entirely!
TomTheTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2022, 10:24   #65
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Electric cars at the moment only make sense in certain circumstances, I wouldn't for instance like to run one if I didn't have access to off road parking or if my daily commute was a 600 mile motorway run. For us though it was an easy decision, we're currently saving around £250 a month in fuel alone and sometimes more if we do runs down to see the family in the west country.

My Dad on the other hand does less than a thousand miles a year so I've suggested to him a huge petrol V8 might be the answer
That said he's quite attracted to the idea of just being able to plug in at home and never having to go to a petrol station again so even he might go electric.
Old 15th March 2022, 10:35   #66
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Oh heck! Even though Brent crude has fallen recently they're now saying this is the lull before the storm on prices

"He added that diesel was particularly exposed to price rises, with half of the country's diesel imported and a third of these imports coming from Russia.

Dr Amrita Sen, director of research at Energy Aspects, said that petrol prices could rise to around £2.40 a litre and that diesel prices of £2.50 to £3 were “definitely in the realms of possibility”.
She also warned that the UK could follow Germany in introducing rationing measures which have already seen BP and Shell reduce diesel wholesales to industry."

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fle...nt-crude-falls

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2022, 10:38   #67
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
And everything just appears by magic, or drones, food, the plumber, a Costa coffee, a new carpet, holidays at the municipal park etc.

I used to read about similar ideas in documents as a child.

Only they weren't called agendas.................they were called sci-fi magazines.

😉😂😅
Laugh all you like.....time will turn out as the agenda has said....too many things going on.......all linked
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2022, 11:39   #68
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post
You wont be going any where if you read the Agenda 2030, WEF/UN/WHO agenda..... smart cities with no one travelling anywhere...... that is the plan, so having battery cars will not be an issue...

Forget about the WEF/UN/WHO...I think I was abducted by aliens once, taken to their EV spacecraft, and subjected to invasive experiments!
Old 15th March 2022, 11:44   #69
Twisterboy
Loves to post

75 Connoisseur SE in BRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTheTyke View Post
Just looked into this after seeing your post as I am taking the 75 to Edinburgh over Easter. Luckily it is not planned to be enforced until 2024, but will be even more draconian than the London zone. In that, as a very infrequent visitor in London I might elect to pay £25 quid total to drive in one day then drive back out another, not ideal of course. The Edinburgh scheme, it seems, would ban my car entirely!
It is indeed going to ban the cars like ours, there was talk there was going to be a cost but was ditched, residents were never consulted in anything the council have just ploughed ahead with it, think the signage is going up for May this year and there is a 2 year Grace before enforcement, it's quite well known the council is quite Anti Car, the whole town is a mess with roadworks/tramworks most likely driving pollution up in the city centre.

The Flagship Street is full of closed shops because nobody wants to come into the city centre when they can buy online or drive out of town to the number of retail parks with the same amount of shops on the High Street.

2004 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

51 of 118 Rover 75s to come off the production line on 21st July 2004

71 of only 235 British Racing Green diesel face lift Connoisseur SE saloons with Sandstone Beige Interiors produced worldwide

Mileage April 2022: 120225 or 2914 in my custody
Twisterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2022, 12:03   #70
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Sadly it's not the only blot on the landscape, The PM2.5 (particulate matter 2.5) is up for review this year.
The UK's environmental act has always mirrored the EU's emission standards to the letter except for a couple of exceptions, PM2.5 being one of them.
The EU are on the WHO-10 standard 10 micrograms/cubic metre.

The W.H.O recommend an interim standard of 10 micrograms/cubic metre for Net Zero countries before 2030 & then down to 5 micrograms/cubic metre. The UK is still on the WHO-20 standard 20 micrograms/cubic metre, The only detail I've read is that the UK's PM2.5 limits will be updated this year.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote