Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd April 2022, 01:07   #11
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Shame the rear cyclist turned to stick two fingers up. Missed the Red Bull Freestyle trick into the ditch.
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2022, 01:34   #12
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Must admit I'm not too sure how the land rover made the woman fall into the ditch, seems like she was not in proper control of her cycle. That said I am constantly shocked by the appalling standard of driving when I'm on my bike. I've now clocked 250 miles on my new bike and I've had 3 road rage incidents by drivers thinking I should be riding in the potholes on the side of the road and more close passes then I care to count. I've just fitted a bike cam and the next time it happens the footage will be getting sent to the police.

And yes I know the stupid 'cyclists don't pay road tax' argument that gets wheeled out every time this subject is raised but a lot of cyclists such as myself are also drivers and in my case I pay tax on 3 cars so I don't feel too bad using the roads on my bike.
Old 2nd April 2022, 06:36   #13
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

With the new hierarchy what happens if a cyclist hits a pedestrian as they cross the road at, say, a T junction which, if I'm understanding it correctly, a driver must anticipate.

And causes injury? Handlebars with hard sticky out bits plus soft abdominal bits don't make happy bedfellows.

Do cyclists carry insurance to cover the third party injury costs. And, if not, what happens if those costs run into big figures? Does the cyclist perhaps lose their house to pay?

And if the cyclist clears off, how do "we" track them down?

Yes, I know it sound daft and the risk is microscopic but.......

Maybe time to become a motoring lawyer

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 2nd April 2022 at 06:38..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2022, 10:45   #14
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
With the new hierarchy what happens if a cyclist hits a pedestrian as they cross the road at, say, a T junction which, if I'm understanding it correctly, a driver must anticipate.

And causes injury? Handlebars with hard sticky out bits plus soft abdominal bits don't make happy bedfellows.

Do cyclists carry insurance to cover the third party injury costs. And, if not, what happens if those costs run into big figures? Does the cyclist perhaps lose their house to pay?

And if the cyclist clears off, how do "we" track them down?

Yes, I know it sound daft and the risk is microscopic but.......

Maybe time to become a motoring lawyer
I suspect the risk is becoming less microscopic very quickly. A lot of electrically assisted bikes around now. I nearly got run over by someone on an electric bike in Mousehole. Flying along on a narrow street at night threading his way between the many people around viewing the harbour Xmas lights. A most unwise cyclist, possibly under the influence of something.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2022, 14:44   #15
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

My only other thought is £1000.00 is over the top, £500.00 is about right, enough to make one think but £1000.00? too much. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2022, 07:28   #16
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
My only other thought is £1000.00 is over the top, £500.00 is about right, enough to make one think but £1000.00? too much. Chris.S.

Maybe the judiciary were thinking that's a big fine.....big enough for someone to think about appealing the decision and then we can have clarification from the higher courts which is, of course, binding on all the lower courts.

Perhaps someone like the AA/RAC etc.etc. would be interested in supporting an appeal?

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote