Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th April 2022, 10:16   #21
Dashnine
Regular poster

MG ZT 260 #442 in XPower Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
That is not logical. So you change down through the gear box rather than change straight to 2 which was the correct gear to be in. You should alter your driving technique to suit the circumstances
Quote:
Well I would not pull away from a few mph in third would I? You change gear according to the actual circumstances which could mean changing down through the gear box but could also mean block changing.
Yes, but we're talking about what happens from 60mph down to the 5mph where I would be in second too.

What gear are you going to be in at 40mph?
MG ZT 260 #442 in XPower Grey and Cupra Formentor Hybrid VZ2
Dashnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2022, 10:19   #22
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashnine View Post
Yes, but we're talking about what happens from 60mph down to the 5mph where I would be in second too.

What gear are you going to be in at 40mph?

4th gear if flat, straight road and there is nothing happening in front of me and I was not in a rush.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2022, 10:28   #23
Dashnine
Regular poster

MG ZT 260 #442 in XPower Grey

Quote:
4th gear if flat, straight road and there is nothing happening in front of me and I was not in a rush.
No, that's not the point (again). You're decelerating / braking from 60 mph to a stop, but something happens, the lights change, you decide to overtake the slowing car in front, etc. You're at 40mph - what gear are you in to accelerate?

5th with the clutch dipped? Gear change to 3rd.
2nd ready to pull away? Gear change to 3rd.

Both cases involve a delay, or a missed opportunity to react quickly.

Decelerate through the gears - you're already in third and good to go.
MG ZT 260 #442 in XPower Grey and Cupra Formentor Hybrid VZ2
Dashnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2022, 10:35   #24
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Keeping your foot off the brake pedal is by far the best way to improve fuel consumption. Amazes me how some people just look at the car in front of them and are constantly on and off the brake pedal. When I taught my kids to drive I made sure they were aware of what was happening in the distance to save fuel. See the lights change to red further down the road, then take your foot straight off the gas pedal - no point in continuing to add fuel only to hit the brakes a few seconds later. Give a bit more space between you and the car in front and keep an eye on the horizon and you can reduce wasting fuel by braking.

And as I'm old school I still engine brake - the diesels shut off fuel when the car is above engine idle speed.

Drove coaches back in the day and you had more choices of braking - exhaust brake and an hydraulic retarder were options.

but Mike, if you take your foot off the throttle on the approach to red traffic lights, think how much time you waste getting to those red lights.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2022, 19:07   #25
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
No, that's not the point (again). You're decelerating / braking from 60 mph to a stop, but something happens, the lights change, you decide to overtake the slowing car in front, etc. ...

Thanks Phil, you've explained it much better than I did.

Simon
Old 5th April 2022, 19:47   #26
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

The reason engine braking is frowned upon is because the latest drivers? Can not change down a gear, and certainly can not double de clutch. Reason I was told was because it takes your concentration from the road. Well all I can say is if changing gear takes your concentration away, you should not be driving. Such a lot of rubbish talked these days about driving, and most of it is because of useless drivers in the ‘teaching ‘ trade. I was asked to go out with a friend of my wife’s who was going for her fourth , yes fourth driving test, and believe it or not she could not do three point turns, or reverse properly. When I showed her how to do a three point turn, and she managed to do one after about six times, she told me that I had showed her the prper way. The ‘teacher’ had shown her a totally different way. Showed her how to use the three mirrors when reversing, and she said she had only been told to use the ‘two outside mirrors’. No wonder there are people who can not reverse or do correct three point turns. About time some of these teachers learnt drivers to use the indicators also.
Old 5th April 2022, 19:52   #27
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
The reason engine braking is frowned upon is because the latest drivers? Can not change down a gear, and certainly can not double de clutch. Reason I was told was because it takes your concentration from the road. Well all I can say is if changing gear takes your concentration away, you should not be driving. Such a lot of rubbish talked these days about driving, and most of it is because of useless drivers in the ‘teaching ‘ trade. I was asked to go out with a friend of my wife’s who was going for her fourth , yes fourth driving test, and believe it or not she could not do three point turns, or reverse properly. When I showed her how to do a three point turn, and she managed to do one after about six times, she told me that I had showed her the prper way. The ‘teacher’ had shown her a totally different way. Showed her how to use the three mirrors when reversing, and she said she had only been told to use the ‘two outside mirrors’. No wonder there are people who can not reverse or do correct three point turns. About time some of these teachers learnt drivers to use the indicators also.

Double declutching - that's nothing!

Real men used to ride motorbikes with broken clutch levers!
Old 6th April 2022, 06:36   #28
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

My daughter has been learning for 12 months and her driving is appalling. I took her out she didnt know what to do about islands, went into first gear at 5 mph at islands and didnt understand what I meant by looking ahead and speeding up to go up a hill as the car does not know it needs more power and taking your foot off the pedal when going down a hill. I was trying to teach her to drive at a constant speed rather than slowing up hills and speeding down them! Needless to say a new instructor has been found and she is coming on leaps and bounds. And she had never been into 5th gear!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2022, 07:05   #29
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
My daughter has been learning for 12 months and her driving is appalling. I took her out she didnt know what to do about islands, went into first gear at 5 mph at islands and didnt understand what I meant by looking ahead and speeding up to go up a hill as the car does not know it needs more power and taking your foot off the pedal when going down a hill. I was trying to teach her to drive at a constant speed rather than slowing up hills and speeding down them! Needless to say a new instructor has been found and she is coming on leaps and bounds. And she had never been into 5th gear!

We parents can really help our children before they are old enough to drive, for example, getting them to learn and explain road signs when they are in the car with us ( the children explain that is, not the road sign ), reading the road ahead and telling us of the dangers, knowing speed limits for their vehicle and others, traffic light colour code even listening to the engine for gear changes, what lane to use.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2022, 08:14   #30
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
No, that's not the point (again). You're decelerating / braking from 60 mph to a stop, but something happens, the lights change, you decide to overtake the slowing car in front, etc. You're at 40mph - what gear are you in to accelerate?

5th with the clutch dipped? Gear change to 3rd.
2nd ready to pull away? Gear change to 3rd.

Both cases involve a delay, or a missed opportunity to react quickly.

The premise of good driving revolves around the basics: All round observation, awareness drawn from those observations and anticipation using all information.
With your "What if something happens" point, we can extrapolate that. Firstly, it is rare indeed for an event to occur without warning. Secondly, before responding to an event situation awareness is critical before even thinking of accelerating. In the rarest of events where a hazard pointed to accelerating out of it, a competent driver assesses the circumstances by way of observation and awareness. Gear selection should, in tandem, be actioned for a worst case scenario. With awareness there will be no missed opportunities.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote