Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st May 2022, 15:41   #1
rikk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI

Default ZT CDTi automatic gearbox noise

Hi,
Just recently I’ve started to notice a noise that did not exist before.. hard to describe but definitely appears to be gearbox related because when it’s in neutral it’s not there but when in drive it starts.
It's not a rattle, more of a whine but and it's not that loud but can be heard when idling and at low speeds. Someone who isn't familiar with the car probably wouldn't notice it. It isn’t constant it seems to come and go and isn’t related to road or engine speed.
The car has almost 200k on it.. could it be that the box is just worn out.. or something that can be fixed? Just thought I’d ask if anyone has ideas what to check, in case it’s something that could be sorted before it gets worse or causes damage. I did have the gearbox oil changed last year, but i guess it could be leaking?
Thankyou 😊
rikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2022, 21:58   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

just asking ,but was the correct fluid and quantity used to change the autobox oil ? and was the correct procedure followed ? i would have the fluid done again just to be sure, and it wont do any harm. when a fluid change is done, unless the whole system is emptied , there will be only a 50% oil renewal.there is a post on here on how to do a full fluid change somewhere , ( which the traders on here would be able to do for you ) There are traders on here that would do the job properly and you can examine the fluid colour. see how you go on... it certainly will not do any harm.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2022, 09:25   #3
rikk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI

Thanks, i think you are right.. checking the oil will be my first port of call .. half was changed, and the correct oil was definitely used, i thought the correct procedure was followed.. but will definitely be worth checking before looking at other causes.. thanks.
Old 13th July 2022, 08:01   #4
rikk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI

I had the gearbox oil checked.. seemed ok and not leaking.. noise seems to be increasing though.

If i wanted to get a replacement (used) gearbox fitted, a couple of questions - is the auto box in the ZT the same as the one in the 75? And how difficult/expensive would it be to fit?

thankyou.
Old 13th July 2022, 09:40   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikk View Post
... is the auto box in the ZT the same as the one in the 75? And how difficult/expensive would it be to fit?
Hi Rik,

My thoughts are that you don't have incontrovertible evidence to conclude that the whine is gearbox related. It's also intermittent and your car has covered a fairly high mileage.

You say that the transmission fluid was changed last year and the "correct" fluid was used. What brand and type was that? Many universal fluids claim to be suitable but they don't specifically meet N402 specification.

I think that fitting a used gearbox without any real idea of the source of the whine is a gamble that could easily turn out to be a waste of time and money. Your current automatic transmission may well go on for another 100,000 miles, with whine! For example, my Citroën's gearbox is slow to disengage drive when moving into neutral and is also slow engaging reverse. It's present only when cold and has been like that for years. I'm not going to tear the gearbox apart until I have a failure to grapple with and I think I'm going to be waiting a very long time!

To answer your questions, the same automatic gearbox is fitted to the diesel Rover and MG ZT (the petrol versions have a different final drive ratio) and I'd say that you will run up a sizeable bill.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 13th July 2022, 10:59   #6
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Perhaps there is another member close to you that would have a drive in it and give you a second opinion, You are welcome to bring it to me and I will let you know the problem but I am quite a way off

Dave
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2022, 14:45   #7
rikk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI

Thanks, I think the oil we used was the correct spec stuff.. from rimmers .. VYK000040 ?

Yes I agree, not absolutely sure it’s the gearbox. Seems like it at it doesn’t happen in neutral but does in drive, but maybe there is another reason. It drives perfectly and the noise in itself doesn’t bother me that much, only in the sense that when I hear a new noise in a car I see it as a sign that something needs attention rather than just leave it until it gets much worse and leaves me stranded or causes more expensive/extensive damage..

Perhaps fitting a different gearbox at this stage would be a slight over reaction though as you say. I have known other cars have a gearbox whine and never progressed beyond that.

Thanks for the offer of having a listen to it, I may pop over to Lincolnshire soon actually, but in the meantime I will have someone else check it – car needs to be taken for an engine oil change soon so I will ask the mechanic there for another opinion.

Thanks again.
Old 13th July 2022, 15:02   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Either a rover or an mg auto gearbox will fit should you need one, they are fairly bulletproof and hopefully your noise will be a driveshaft or similar.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 13th July 2022, 17:14   #9
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

You are more than welcome to bring it over and I will have a look for you
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2022, 20:09   #10
rikk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI

There is actually a clicking/knocking noise coming from the front too recently, thought that would be something separate, worn suspension arm or something, i wonder if it could be something related though to do with driveshaft or cv joints etc... I will get it checked out.

Thankyou