Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th August 2010, 15:06   #1
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Unhappy Sunroof drain , help please.

Hi guys.

Got back off holiday yesterday, cleaning the car out this morning I found the front passenger side footwell sodden.

I've removed the scuttle panel, and checked the plenums etc. I've pulled the carpet up a little, and know now that the N/S front sunroof drain tube is leaking into the cabin. Can anyone give me a head start as to where it is suppose to exit please?

Thanks in advance.

Ben
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 15:55   #2
courier118
Loves to post

MG ZT 190+

It exits behind the wheel arch liner.If yours is leaking directly into the cabin then its come apart where it goes through the bulkhead.Its in 2 halves,just wipe the pipes dry,put a bit of silicone sealer on and rejoin together,job done.You access it from inside the car to the side and above the fusebox...........biggest job is drying your car out.........wet vacuum cleaner on all the foam underlay as it can hold litres and litres of the stuff

Last edited by courier118; 15th August 2010 at 16:10.. Reason: Missed info
courier118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 16:01   #3
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Much appreciated Dale. I'll go see if I can sort it. The carpet is well drenched. All good fun I suppose.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 16:09   #4
courier118
Loves to post

MG ZT 190+

I had the same problem last year so know exactly how you feel...........you will be amazed how much water those carpets can hold..........When i got out as much water as i could i put ice cream containers full of silica gel in the car when ever the car stood.This helps to take the moisture out the air.Within 2 weeks mine was bone dry.Good luck mate
courier118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 16:40   #5
Andy K
Avid contributor

75 Saloon petrol 2.5

The issue I had with mine is that the drains were blocked at the end, at they put the stupid duck bills on them. So I have cut those off and cleaned it out. Much better.

Sunroof drain inside (drivers side)

Drivers side (inside wheel arch)

Modified. End cut off

Passenger one cut. You can see the dirt inside it
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 19:16   #6
BlackMagic
Loves to post

Used to have: MG ZT 190 SE+

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by courier118 View Post
It exits behind the wheel arch liner.If yours is leaking directly into the cabin then its come apart where it goes through the bulkhead.Its in 2 halves,just wipe the pipes dry,put a bit of silicone sealer on and rejoin together,job done.You access it from inside the car to the side and above the fusebox...........biggest job is drying your car out.........wet vacuum cleaner on all the foam underlay as it can hold litres and litres of the stuff
I have noticed a yucky damp smell the last couple of times I was in the car but just put it down to the aircon.

I happened to shift the passenger side mat and the underside of the mat was soaking

Tonight, I opened up the sunroof and poured some water down the drain hole - low and behold I could see it dripping into the passenger footwell. I can get my hand up and pull the drain pipe from the bulkhead. My question is any ideas how I can get better access to this?

It looks that if I could remove the glovebox I could get better access? Anyone have any ideas as to to get better access or how the glovebox could be removed? (To complicate matters I have 6-CD changer in there).

Alternatively is it just a case of smearing the drainpipe in silicon sealer as seems to be suggested above and reseating the drainpipe into the bulkhead?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 17:56   #7
Andy K
Avid contributor

75 Saloon petrol 2.5

yeah you can remove the glovebox to get better access

or struggle to fit the pipe back in without doing it, by feel
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 20:10   #8
BlackMagic
Loves to post

Used to have: MG ZT 190 SE+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
yeah you can remove the glovebox to get better access

or struggle to fit the pipe back in without doing it, by feel
I had a mess about with it tonight thanks - the rain had finally stopped Unfortunately thanks to the heavy rain overnight the passenger footwell was like a swimming pool!

Anyway I found that there are 3 or 4 screws where the glovebox 'clicks' shut. The difficult bit was I still couldn't get it out. Through feel I was able to ascertain that there were another 3 screws inside the glovebox itself - these were difficult to locate as they were hidden under the 'carpet' within the glovebox. Even with peeling away the carpet I was finding it difficult to locate them - there appears to have been an adhesive backing to the carpet and this hid the screws from view! Once I realised that and 'burst' the adhesive backing it was a simple job to remove the entire glovebox with the CD Changer still in place (within the glovebox) - the cable is plenty long enough.

I just got myself a bit of wire flex and cleaned the drain-hole into the bulkhead - I think it had just 'gunked up'. Cleaned it out and then did a quick test (pouring water into the sunroof drain hole) and all appears to be well! The drain pipe from the sunroof didn't appear to be fixed (i.e. glued) to the bulkhead exit(?). I just wrapped some plumbers tape around the drain pipe to give a tighter fit - hopefully that will do the trick! Fingers-crossed!

Now to dry out the carpets!
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 01:21   #9
biggles2000
Regular poster

75 and ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
The issue I had with mine is that the drains were blocked at the end, at they put the stupid duck bills on them. So I have cut those off and cleaned it out. Much better.

Ditto!

After recent rain of biblical proportions... the breadknife's 75 passenger footwell now a footspa.

I removed the glovebox and passed a rod through the drain hole.

This is pretty easy and should be done ASAP.

This is what I did....

Passenger side:
1. Remove glovebox
2. Inside wheelarch, remove bottom plastic bracket securing the liner. 4 screws, three facing wheel, one to the bottom of bracket. Peel back liner to reveal drain plugs.
3. Cut end off drain plug end.
4. Inside footwell, wipe clean end of drain line from sunroof and the other end of the drain plug you just cut.
5. Apply a bead of silicone around the end of the drain line and insert into drain plug.

Driver side:
1. Remove the plastic trim under the steering wheel - two screws.
2.-5 as above.

The driver side is fiddly, so I recommend doing the passenger side first.

Last edited by Dragrad; 22nd March 2011 at 23:00.. Reason: Image links inserted as pics
biggles2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 09:19   #10
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I have just cleaned my sunroof drains with a compressed air line.

However I read somewhere that all four corners (that is also the rear end of the sun roof) have drains. I can't see the rear corners of the sun roof at all!!

If so, how do you get to them, and where do they drain out?

I have a tourer.

Thanks in advance
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote