Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd November 2017, 07:07   #1
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Default Ideas to stop an old driver

My Mothers husband is in his late 70's and should have stopped driving a few years ago, the problem is he does not agree. He thinks it is fine to pull our in front of cars, drive at 30mph on a clear A road and spend 15 mins parking the car and it still looks like he has abandoned it. Sitting in the car with as a passenger I do fear for my life. I had to put two front tyres on it recently as he had curbed them so badly they had bulges and the tracking was a yard out.

I will get the car soon for its annual service and MOT, what can I do without it be obvious that I have sabotaged the car. My MOT guy will fail the car no problem but he could take it somewhere else and then there will be repercussions.

The car is a Suzuki SX4. My thoughts are water in the oil and oil in the water to fake a head gasket or possible cracked head. Oil in the petrol so it smokes and does fail the MOT on hydrocarbons.

I don't really want to be to drastic but the car is only worth £1500 to £2000, my worry is he will kill somebody. I had thought about sand in the oil but that just seems wrong.

Thanks in advance.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 07:12   #2
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
My Mothers husband is in his late 70's and should have stopped driving a few years ago, the problem is he does not agree. He thinks it is fine to pull our in front of cars, drive at 30mph on a clear A road and spend 15 mins parking the car and it still looks like he has abandoned it. Sitting in the car with as a passenger I do fear for my life. I had to put two front tyres on it recently as he had curbed them so badly they had bulges and the tracking was a yard out.

I will get the car soon for its annual service and MOT, what can I do without it be obvious that I have sabotaged the car. My MOT guy will fail the car no problem but he could take it somewhere else and then there will be repercussions.

The car is a Suzuki SX4. My thoughts are water in the oil and oil in the water to fake a head gasket or possible cracked head. Oil in the petrol so it smokes and does fail the MOT on hydrocarbons.

I don't really want to be to drastic but the car is only worth £1500 to £2000, my worry is he will kill somebody. I had thought about sand in the oil but that just seems wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Have a quiet word with his Doctor,to see if he is fit to drive,it could be something as simple as his medication of eyesight

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams

Last edited by Georgies Dad; 23rd November 2017 at 07:14..
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 07:17   #3
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Eventually stopped my mother from driving after a few too many scrapes, by explaining the consequences of another scrape involving a child. However I am still blamed for taking her independence away.
It is a problem and imho a regular medical or quick driving assessment should be mandatory after a certain age.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 07:24   #4
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

If you sabotage his car he'll probably buy another.

The only thing you can do is to report him to the DVLA, but that is likely to fail if his doctor doesn't agree with you.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 07:29   #5
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Very difficult situation. Thankfully both of my uncles had a light bulb moment one day and simply gave me the keys!
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 07:31   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Don’t sabotage the car, that is criminal damage. Best going through the official channels. What does your mother think? I take it he isn’t your step father by the way you opened your post? If so then it needs to come from a person closer, ie your mother, get her to speak to him or the doctor.
Old 23rd November 2017, 07:33   #7
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Definitely +1 for an eyesight check.

He may have some problems which mean he can't see too well which is what makes him drive so "slowly" and is unable to park.

The GP for a "health check" is a good idea also.

This type of situation is always extremely difficult.

I do know of someone who simply took the car keys away but the fall out was very unpleasant.

Sorry I can't come up with some nice easy solution (apart from my soapbox of mandatory retesting which puts the decision in the hands of the "examiner" but that isn't going to help now).

Good Luck.

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 08:52   #8
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Hmm, awkward, I've given this a lot of thought, I've checked on the legalities, and checked the DVLA site ............................er, good luck.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:04   #9
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

I’m dead against sabotaging the car in any way! If he takes the damaged car out and has an accident either due to the damage or even if the damage is found as a consequence of any investigation - then the brown smelly stuff would hit a fan facing in your direction.

Best to report it to his Dr. But do it so there is a record of your concern. Too easy for a Surgery to smile sweetly at you and do nothing. But if you insist that you consider the driver to be dangerous - and it is on record - then the onus falls on them.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:14   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Try DVLA.
Try police.
vandalism is not the right way.
Inform his insurance company every time he hits something, even if its the curb and damages a tyre. They may hike his premium so he may decided not to drive or refuse to insure him

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote